General Discussion

Getting rid of a time share.

Jan 02, 2007

jayjay wrote:
I don't know which are the biggest scammers, the upfront fee timeshare resellers or the scammers such as Timeshare Relief which will take $3500 of your hard earned money to rid you of your unwanted timeshare.

And around and around we go. We've had this discussion before, and it was starting to become sensible: there's no way that I would say that all timeshares are bad, nor would you say that no timeshares are bad. But we agree, for reasons that other people have listed above, that some timeshares are bad. In the very worst of these cases, they're so bad that they can't be resold. Hence the need for a company to take them.

Because companies want to make a profit, and because companies have to cover their costs and risks, Timeshare Relief has to charge an upfront fee when taking over a bad timeshare. If they charged an egregious amount, they would instantly be met with another company doing the same thing for less. Simple market forces. A company can't overcharge, at least not for long, without getting undercut by a competitor -- and there is more than one company that is in this business, by the way.

This is all pretty logical, right? So let's cut it out with the wild condemnations and admit that companies like Timeshare Relief are legitimate players in the industry.

Elsa S.
Jan 02, 2007

Oh my gosh, elsas3 is back!

Does he or she really believe that the people reading messages in this forum accept his allegation that he is just some hapless timeshare owner who found nirvana paying a company thousands of dollars to rid him of an unwanted timeshare? If someone is so helpless and unknowledgeable that he is unable to sell an unwanted week himself, why would such a "dummie" be able to so cogently articulate details about Timeshare Relief's business plan, etc...Give me a break!

Please note that those of us who are real timeshare owners, just trying to help other owners, have no ulterior motive. We have been spending a lot of time and energy giving honest advice on many different subjects on the Redweek forums. Elsas3, however, has never posted a message other than to "praise" Timeshare Relief. He/she has never mentioned which timeshare he owned and has not explained why an ex-owner would even be visiting a forum like this. If he/she is so glad to be out of timeshare ownership, why would he even be visiting a site like Redweek?

But I am glad that "elsas3" keeps popping back. Everytime he/she tries to shamelessly promote his--er I mean, the--Timeshare Relief company, it motivates more and more knowledgeable people to post strong warnings here against doing business with this kind of company.

Marie M.

Last edited by msmendy on Jan 02, 2007 05:34 PM

Jan 10, 2007

lf you are in a certain income bracket,your non-saleable timeshare makes a perfect contribution(writeoff) l own 3 different timeshare and know full well they are not an investment,but a source of pleasure to whoever you gift it to. one tip,bring your CPA a box of candy before they try to get you a nice fat tax deduction. charlie tuna

Charles K.
Jan 10, 2007

charles671 wrote:
lf you are in a certain income bracket,your non-saleable timeshare makes a perfect contribution(writeoff) l own 3 different timeshare and know full well they are not an investment,but a source of pleasure to whoever you gift it to. one tip,bring your CPA a box of candy before they try to get you a nice fat tax deduction. charlie tuna

The tax benefit derived, IF ANY, from donating an unsellable timeshare is negligible. Unless you have been renting it every year and not usinig it yourself or having relatives and friends use it, or exchanging it, you cannot claim it as a business. For timeshares owned and utilized in the common, non-business way, the Fair Market Value (FMV) value for IRS purposes is the value of week (or points) at the time of the donation, not the price originally paid. Or the price it actually sold for when the charity disposed of it, which is often times $1.00 on Ebay.

Charities have become far more knowledgeable about timeshare donations. They will not accept a "non sellable" timeshare. They have learned from past bad experience, that they will become "stuck" paying maintenance fees, taxes, and Special Assessments, etc. until they somehow unload it. One major agency involved in accepting donations is Donate For A Cause www.donateforacause They have a growing list of weeks they will not accept. If the week you consider "non sellable" is on their list, you will almost surely find that no charitable organization will accept it. If, on the other hand, they are willing to accept your week, then you know that you own something of value and should be able to sell it yourself.

For detailed information on this and other timeshare related tax issues, visit the various forums at the Timeshare Users Group www.tug2.net Specifically check out this link: http://www.tug2.net/advice/TUG_Taxes_and_Timeshares.htm

Marie M.
Jan 14, 2007

Great response! I couldn't have said it any better! Pam

Pamela T.
Jan 16, 2007

The only time I would ever consider paying thousands of dollars to get rid of a timeshare would be if I determined that my unit would be impossible to sell, even for $1.00 on Ebay and if the annual maintenance fees were very high. Otherwise, why not continue to pay the fees for several years, meanwhile depositing the week with RCI or II and obtaining some vacation exchanges to use or give as gifts to family and friends. If the maintenance fees are around $400. per year, it would take about 9 years before you would be out the $3500. you would have given to Timeshare Relief. Maybe you will find someone during that time to take it off your hands for free.

This person has very good advice. Definitely research, research, research into other options rather then lining someone's pocket. We bought into a bad timeshare and we found out that there was no way we could get back what we paid (high red season too!) even though we just bought it 2 years ago and it is a fairly new resort. So we have had to bite the cost and now we will go to other resorts.

A H.
Jan 16, 2007

a307

Very good advice! Remember these people have themselves in a tight spot and many just stop thinking until its to late! How many of these poor people give $3500 and six months later know they messed up.

Unless they just can not afford the timeshare any longer. Then you wonder where they get the $3500 to throw away.

I would think most jump the gun before thinking this out.

When we owned Los Tules three bedroom unit,top floor unit in PV Mexico 1982-1988 after the fourth year of owning and tired of Rci screwing us on exchanges we tried to sell and after two more years of paying up front fee's for nothing we put pictures and offer to rent with option to buy up on bulletin boards around town. Now you have computers and Craigslist is free which is like a on-line bulletin board.

We rented it within two weeks and the family called us after few days there and said they were buying it.We had agreed sales price minus rental fee so they stayed a week at this resort,toured and heard resort price and came running to us to buy our unit. They new they would pay us $4500 minue the $1200 rental fee plus closing cost and saved about $6200 because their vacation cost was like the down payment.

Yes we sold and yes we didn't make money but we moved the unit and it was so easy after wasting two years and about $800.

We had a friend last year ask me what I thought because they had tried and couldn't sell.

I told them what we did and they ran ads on Craigslist to rent or buy and also offered same option deal we sold ours with and a family rented it and also bought.

The only down side to rent with right to buy is you can only do it once a year!

There are better idea's than giving someone $3500 to take it. I would think most timeshare owners would make this deal if you give them $3500. Then they would use,trade or let family/friends use it until sold.

Remember for $3500 most people could keep it five years and still break even!

PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Mar 08, 2009 05:21 PM

Jan 17, 2007

It seems fairly obvious to me that the folks who spend $3,500 to "dump" it are making an emotional, not a practical decision. That was probably the approach that got them into their timeshare to begin with.

Buying a timeshare should only occur for financial reasons after learning as much as possible. Those who approach it that way tend to obrtain a great vacation every year at far less than hotel prices.

John F.
Jan 18, 2007

Damn - I just paid 14.99 to join this site thinking I might find an outlet to resell or rent a couple of weeks. By the sound of it, I am already out the 14.99. o well cheers

Kevin K.
Jan 18, 2007

There are many testimonials in these forums concerning success of people renting and selling on Redweek. Read all the forums as the testimonials are scattered about.

Why would you think you would be out $14.99 for JUST JOINING Redweek if you haven't even posted an ad yet?

kevink47 wrote:
Damn - I just paid 14.99 to join this site thinking I might find an outlet to resell or rent a couple of weeks. By the sound of it, I am already out the 14.99. o well cheers

R P.
Jan 18, 2007

a bit put off by all the negative remarks re resale value in this forum i suppose cheers

jayjay wrote:
There are many testimonials in these forums concerning success of people renting and selling on Redweek. Read all the forums as the testimonials are scattered about.

Why would you think you would be out $14.99 for JUST JOINING Redweek if you haven't even posted an ad yet?

kevink47 wrote:

Kevin K.
Jan 18, 2007

Jayjay,

Redweek staffs control what goes on the testimonial board. Do you think they will post unsatisfied members comments, I do not think so? I read many posts in this forums, and I found many members complaining about they can not rent out their timeshare units for just the cost of the Mfee.

Thanks,

Soonn

jayjay wrote:

kevink47 wrote:

Soon N.
Jan 18, 2007

Has anyone found a site that actually has sold a TS?

Brenda L.
Jan 18, 2007

Try anything before paying $3500 to some parasite working for these postcard companies. You have already made the choice too give away your money so at least try and give less away.

I have made donations for many years to many good charities but never had to pay upfront fee's to get them to except my donations. I understand these days it might be hard for them to sell a timeshare at a good profit to their cause. I really don't see any difference in paying a postcard company and a charity that charges you large amount of your money to take the timeshare. Their both doing it because their profit is coming from the owner and not a buyer.

I rented my week years ago with option to buy and had friends do it couple years ago and it worked. I deducted the rent from the agreed sale price. Try offering free or even free and you pay all cost. You could even offer this plus $1000.00 to help with maintenance fee cost for couple years.

Any of these idea's suck but are cheaper than handing over $3500 to these postcard companies. You could run a ad on e-bay and sell cheap just like the people you paid will do.

This way you save money and get out from under the timeshare and its yearly cost and you might just help some young couple buy a timeshare they want and could enjoy for years. Still need to remember reason for most of us owners buying was to use every year and not to make money!

PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Oct 20, 2010 04:08 PM

Jan 18, 2007

Oh my goodness soonn, I have seen many negative posts here pertaining to Redweek, including yours, but every business, company or corporation has their dissatisfied customers .... that's just part of the territory of owning any business.

I give kudos to Redweek for not deleting some of the more negative posts against them .... free speech is alive and well here as it is not on other timeshare discussion sites. On some of those sites you are NOT ALLOWED to question or post anything negative about the site, the moderators, the administrators or the owner, even if you are a paying member. Redweek has been accused of everything from A - Z, but they have not deleted those posts.

It's not Redweek's fault that many of their members list their rentals and sales way too high, and it's not their fault that many members can't rent their timeshares even to reimburse themselves for their maintenance fee. If the rental is not getting any interest, it's certainly not Redweek's fault. Thousands of people search Redweek each and every day for sales and rentals and Redweek has over 1 million members.

Redweek is a listing service, they don't guarantee to sell or rent your timeshare ... that job is up to the member and where they own (location), season, supply and demand, popularity of the resort and pertinent information in their ad to catch the eye of a wannabe renter or buyer.

soonn Jayjay, Redweek staffs control what goes on the testimonial board. Do you think they will post unsatisfied members comments, I do not think so? I read many posts in this forums, and I found many members complaining about they can not rent out their timeshare units for just the cost of the Mfee.

Thanks,

Soonn

jayjay wrote:

R P.
Jan 19, 2007

Geez, I was only pointing out that it took me back a little to read posts from people stating they couldn't give away weeks. Didn't mean anything negative. cheers

phill12 soonn

Redweek staffs control what goes on the testimonial board. Do you think they will post unsatisfied members comments, I do not think so? I read many posts in this forums, and I found many members complaining about they can not rent out their timeshare units for just the cost of the Mfee. Thanks, Soonn ========================================

PHIL

I have not seen ads for renting for mf! Where do you find these because most of the prices all seem to stay about the same amounts. People come on and see units priced for $1500 so that must be the right price. Soonn, I have never seen an ad listing that the rent is for the mf amount only!How would anyone know if they did come across one of these listings unless the owner tells you. This kind of thinking is why you look up a resort and find 20 units all the same amount and just setting there! PHIL ========================================

jayjay

kevink47 wrote:
Damn - I just paid 14.99 to join this site thinking I might find an outlet to resell or rent a couple of weeks. By the sound of it, I am already out the 14.99. ======================================== PHIL

I have to agree with jayjay on this issue! Why are you giving up before you try after joining.

Yes we do have disagreements on here about some changes some of us would like to see and Redweek is listening and trying something new this week.

You may not rent your unit or sell one for your $14.99 but its not because of Redweek. Timeshares are having problems right now . Many people trying to rent instead of trading or banking has caused shortage into trading.

There are just to many units for rent so people have many choices to pick from. Also you can not blame Redweek for owners that are greedy and asking way to much money until last minute. This is a problem on all sites not just Redweek.

Remember that you can also list on other places that are free. Use Craigs list and Vacationtimesharerentals.com.

You will see people on here and other sites crying in there morning coffee because they couldn't rent. Remember Redweek and other sites are selling you space and what you do with it is your choice.

Ask for high price and then sit there with no calls. I would bet you if you ask people that did rent how they got lucky they have great location and asked for decent price.

Stop being so down and give this a chance! GOOD LUCK! PHIL

Kevin K.
Jan 19, 2007

All,

I did not mean to be so negative, I merely gave my 2 cents worth of opinion. I do agree with Jayjay, that Redweek could have blocked my posts but they do not.

I said owners can not even rent their timeshares for Mfee, and that is true.

For example: Do you think $850.00 for a one bed room at Los Abrigados in Sedona, Az. is too high? I do not think so. There are several listed here in Redweek, one bed room float week for less then $850.00, I wonder how many inquiries do those owners receive, and how long these units listed before they get pickup. After expenses, the owner may have about 50 to 100 dollars left in his pocket.

1) RCI and II rated Gold Crown resort. 2) prime location. 3) reasonable pricing.

Why are they not rented quickly????? Does any one know?????

Can the owners who listed those timeshares in Sedona Az., if you are reading this post, answer me? Do you have any success renting out your timeshares for what you ask for ?

I will be quiet, now!

Soonn

jayjay Oh my goodness soonn, I have seen many negative posts here pertaining to Redweek, including yours, but

I give kudos to Redweek for not deleting some of the more negative posts against them

soonn Jayjay, Redweek staffs control what goes on the testimonial board. Do you think they will post unsatisfied members comments, I do not think so?

Soon N.
Jan 19, 2007

This is a good reason for having a counter on Redweek!

Members running ads would maybe see no one is checking out their ad or they are and not following up. This would tell them the site not working for their timeshare or their price might be to high!

Counter could help many on here!

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Aug 20, 2008 09:27 AM

Jan 19, 2007

kevink47 wrote:
Geez, I was only pointing out that it took me back a little to read posts from people stating they couldn't give away weeks. Didn't mean anything negative cheers

It's true that many people can't give their timeshare weeks away or even rent them if the timeshare is in an undesirable location, off-season, upkeep and rating of the resort and the supply and demand, however there are thousands of people that have sold and rented their timeshare weeks ... just depends on the above criteria. You have to take all that into consideration.

It all depends on supply and demand .... key words.

R P.
Feb 09, 2007

gayler5 wrote:
I keep sending a plea for help with selling my timeshare. I bought it in 2001 and have rarely used it. It's in a wonderful area and is a top of the line resort. The major hang-up is the maintenance fee.

I've tried renting it; making my RCI points available to any potential buyers...I have a very large number of RCI points.

I have been hopeful to sell before the end of Jan 2007....I am on disability and receive only $821/month so I could definitely use the money. As most of you know, some money is better than NO money

Thanks, Gayle

Wherenis you timeshare and what is the maintenance fee Joyce reynolds

Joyce R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.