General Discussion

What Do I Do?? HELP

Mar 04, 2007

I bought a second timeshare down the street from my first one for week 30. My family has gotten bigger and We needed more space. To make a long story short my resort talked me into going with the point system. When I got my deed my week was changed to week 1 instead of week 30. They told me "No problem." I have not been able to use this week nor trade it. I was told that you have to reserve your week a year in advance. Week 30 is in July week 1 is in January. How can I reserve a year in advance to get a July week. I've been paying $3,000 a year to rent a 3 bedroom in Myrtle Beach when I have 2 timeshares in Florida. I can't even rent the lock-out unit because I don't have a specific week to rent. I have the points at Royal Floridian in Jan. and a fixed week at the Maverick in July. What do you suggest that I do???? I'm still paying on this plus maintenance fees every year and as far as I can tell, it's useless.

Carol Y.
Mar 05, 2007

I would contact the resort management with your complaint that they changed you from week 1 (not desirable) to week 30 (very desirable) when you bought into points. Surely they will correct this. If they don't attempt to, then go all the way to the top of the management chain or corporate office until they do correct it. They didn't do right by you and I'm sure you paid a bundle to convert to points. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

R P.
Mar 06, 2007

jayjay wrote:
I would contact the resort management with your complaint that they changed you from week 1 (not desirable) to week 30 (very desirable) when you bought into points. Surely they will correct this. If they don't attempt to, then go all the way to the top of the management chain or corporate office until they do correct it. They didn't do right by you and I'm sure you paid a bundle to convert to points. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I tried to call the timeshare and never received a call back. When I did get ahold of someone about this, at RCI I think, they told me it didn't matter what week I owned. This was 3 years ago. By now they probably don't have any 2 bedroom lockout units left in week 30. I only used it the first year I bought it. Then it was changed to week 1.

Carol Y.
Mar 06, 2007

Another point system with which I'm familiar has deeded weeks, but that doesn't affect which week you can use your points. The points can be used to try and reserve units at any resort, any week, in their program, but with no guarantees. They also limit how far in advance you can make reservations, and allow longer advance times to those with more points, so those with fewer points have fewer options.

Perhaps your point system is something completely different, but that would be consistent with RCI's suggestion that the deeded week didn't really matter.

R Argh R.
Mar 07, 2007

rarghr wrote:
Another point system with which I'm familiar has deeded weeks, but that doesn't affect which week you can use your points. The points can be used to try and reserve units at any resort, any week, in their program, but with no guarantees. They also limit how far in advance you can make reservations, and allow longer advance times to those with more points, so those with fewer points have fewer options.

Perhaps your point system is something completely different, but that would be consistent with RCI's suggestion that the deeded week didn't really matter.

Right, but I bought week 30 at Royal Floridian because I own week 30 at the Maverick, which is fixed. In order to have a family vacation (I have 2 daughters with families) I need to rent week 30 at Royal Floridian. When they switched me to week 1, and I have to book a year in advance, I can't. When I try to book 6 months in advance, everything at the Royal Floridian is already booked. So I can't use the Maverick or Royal Floridian.

Carol Y.
Mar 08, 2007

Ah, I see. So you get your points in week 1, can't reserve a unit until you get the points, and have to use the points within a year? No rollover between years? I can see how that would make a big difference in year-ahead reservations! As you can probably tell, I'm not too experienced at this. :-)

It seems to me that the agreement you signed would specify whether they were to provide you a deeded week in the same week as the timeshare you converted. If it doesn't specify, and says merely that you'll receive use of an annual allotment of points. If it does say you'll get the same week, then you should seek remedy, at least to the extent of asking them if they'll change it. If they won't, then you're left with deciding whether it's worth the time and money to hire an attorney, and potentially file a lawsuit.

As a general suggestion, I'd send certified letters to them to try to straighten it out. They're under no legal obligation to answer their phone or return calls, and written correspondence can be used as legal evidence. When they initially said "no problem," it's unclear whether they meant "no problem we'll correct the deeded week," or "no problem you can still try using the points" (not understanding or caring that it is, in fact, a problem.) While they probably elaborated in person, that sort of response is the sort of thing that's useful to have in writing.

R Argh R.
Mar 16, 2007

I am trying to list for exchange I thought this was no charge I must have made a mistake The system asked for a fee please help Thanks

Jack R.
Mar 16, 2007

Hi Jack,

Please email support@redweek.com so that we can take care of this. Exchanges should be free until March 18th.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.