Point Systems

What is the value of an RCI point?

Sep 27, 2007

adahiscout asks, quoted verbatim:

>> Would someone who buys a 1BR unit at a RCI POINTS Gold Crown all red season resort in Florida, for example, get 60,000 pts with which to trade or will the points value of their resort vary a lot depending on location? MD << ===================================

The RCI Points Value summary grid which I cited only specified what a unit "costs" (in RCI points) for use of a week at a gold/silver/standard RCI resort in Hawaii.

The amount of RCI points which one ACQUIRES in the course of making a RCI points resort purchase is individually determined within each individual purchase. RCI points values associated with any RCI points purchase at any given RCI points resort varies with resort location (and likely, to some extent, with resort age and condition and amenities too). There is, at least as far as I can tell, not a whole lot of consistency or pattern in the amount of RCI points acquired with any given purchase. Also, it's clearly NOT that "more RCI points are acquired for more money spent". Figures (both cost and points) seem to be all across the board.

The above point clarified, to use a 1BR unit in ANY "Gold Crown" resort in Florida in RED time "COSTS" 43,000 points for one week of use. However, someone actually owning that same 1BR Red week at a GC RCI points resort in FL may very well own considerably more (or less) annual RCI points than that amount in their own underlying RCI points ownership at their particular resort. It's only in the "spending" of the points that there is any resort consistency ---not in the purchase.

In short, the amount of RCI points which one owns is separately determined within each individual RCI points resort purchase, whereas the actual RCI points "cost" to utilize any given size unit in any given location or season is standardized and consistent throughout the world, openly published in a RCI points value grid.

By the way, those grid values also reflect exactly what a RCI "weeks" owner will get in RCI points when converting a "week" over to RCI "points for deposit". The RCI points value is reduced from that grid figure only if the deposit / conversion is made less than 90 or 120 days (I forget which) before the usage date of the to-be-converted "week".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 28, 2007 02:49 AM

Sep 27, 2007

"The above point clarified, to use a 1BR unit in ANY "Gold Crown" resort in Florida in RED time "COSTS" 43,000 points for one week. However, someone actually owning that same 1BR Red week at a GC RCI points resort in FL may very well own considerably more (or less) annual RCI points than that amount in their own underlying ownership at their particular resort. ken1193" ====== Am I wrong in assuming that their "undelying ownership" is figured on the basis of unit equivalents? Surely resorts cannot sell raw points without regard to their space inventory. I know this is true with the points system resorts we own. (NOT at RCI Points resorts) While we can own many points or few at a particular resort in the group, points purchased are figured on the basis of what it would "cost" if we were to use points in that same location to get into a unit of a certain size in a certain season. A purchase would be measured in terms of "a blue Studio" perhaps, or a "red 2 BR", or a "white 1BR". You don't have to USE the points like that, but they are units of measurement in determining the value of a purchase. These point values don't change at an existing resort, but new ones into which one might want to make an internal points exchange or special locations like Hawaii may be valued differently. Does this sound consistent with the RCI POINTS setup? I'd expect a "cousin" for Fairfield to show some "family resemblance". MD

Mary D.
Sep 27, 2007

Re: >> Am I wrong in assuming that their "underlying ownership" is figured on the basis of unit equivalents? Surely resorts cannot sell raw points without regard to their space inventory.<<

I don't even know what the term "unit equivalents" means, have never heard the term mentioned in matters RCI, and I see no reference to any such terminology anywhere in any of my RCI points printed materials either. Accordingly, I can't (and won't) comment on that about which I have no first hand knowledge. While others may do so without much hesitation, I choose and try never to do so.

If someone owns a week at a RCI points resort, then they own a specifically defined amount of points contractually associated from the outset with that particular, individual purchase of that particular "week". That much I clearly know and understand, but I can't (and I won't) make any comparisons with "other" point systems about which I have no personal knowledge. I can and will address ONLY that which I actually KNOW about. =======================================

Re: >> I'd expect a "cousin" for Fairfield to show some "family resemblance". <<

I can't speak to your own personal "expectations", particularly since I have no knowledge whatsoever about "other" (non-RCI) points systems, and no awareness of any "cousin" relationship between RCI and Fairfield / Wyndham. That said, I do find it difficult to imagine that RCI cares even one little bit about other point systems or practices besides their own --- but I certainly don't speak for RCI....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 28, 2007 03:03 AM

Sep 28, 2007

jimcameron wrote:
Hi Mack: I'd be very careful buying any RCI points.

Too late, I already bought into the system. I've developed a fondness for the insanity of RCI. If I go in with no expectations, I can't be disappointed, right?

adahiscout wrote:
I've concluded that the RCI Weeks site sometimes "times out" when you poke around too long looking at exchange options. It does not exactly SAY so, but suddenly the dozens of options you have been reading about disappear. If you log out and then log in again, they usually reappear. MD

Yes, the site definitely has its bugs. I've noticed that many times when I change the dates for my search, the system continues to hunt for the first date I submitted. It works best to clear the form entirely between searches.

Ken1193 wrote:
mackf4 states, quoted only in pertinent part:

>>The thing is, bad idea or not, I want to play the game. I think I can win it. <<

Nobody "wins" it except RCI. Shoot for "break even" or "stay ahead".

Hehehe, I've already won ... because I cheated. I convinced my parents that THEY needed to buy 104,000 annual timeshare points, and if they put me on the deed, I could help use 'em.

It remains to be seen if my folks will break even!

Ken1193 wrote:
I am certainly at least willing to give you some benchmark numbers from the 2007 RCI points value summary for your reference (and I'd be glad to look up any others you specifically identify).

Thanks for the kind offer, Ken! Our ownership is in escrow, so I don't have my own RCI account yet, but somebody (for some insane reason) has posted their companies userID/password on the web to allow non-members access to everything on the RCI site. I can use that to look up the specific "prices" for weeks ... which often cost less points than the grid shows ... I think.

I'll keep RedWeek posted about my adventures in RCI land!

MF

Mack F.
Sep 28, 2007

mackf4 states, quoted only in pertinent part:

>> I can use that to look up the specific "prices" for weeks ... which often cost less points than the grid shows ... I think.<<

I'd be very surprised if that particular observation is actually correct, since the whole idea of the points value grid and system is to establish known, firm, worldwide points values to be charged for weekly usage. You may be looking at something less than full weeks, "short notice" availability, or making some other "apples and oranges" comparison. Aside from those possibilities, I am unaware of there ever being any variation in weekly points charges.

Well, I guess in this situation you did indeed "win", since evidently somebody else (not you) is paying for the purchase and somebody else (not you) will be receiving (and paying) the annual maintenance fee bills. It must be nice......

Good luck -- and don't forget to thank Mom & Dad. These kinds of financial decisions are a lot more difficult to make when you're spending YOUR OWN money.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 29, 2007 03:57 AM

Nov 05, 2007

This thread is a MUST read. I keep it handy and review it from top to bottom whenever I get the urge to buy more points. And I urge others to do the same and to remember that famous quote by ken1193, posted on 9-28-07, which goes something like this: "These kinds of financial decisions are a lot more difficult to make when you're spending YOUR OWN money." How true....How very true!

Redd W.
Feb 04, 2008

I began this topic, and just as an update I want to report that my eBay purchase is complete and I am very happy with it! Although the actual value of an RCI point is still a mystery to me, I've got enough of the things to be able to vacation to my satisfaction.

I will report on my personal experience with eBay in the "Buying and Selling" forum.

Mack F.
Feb 04, 2008

mackf4 wrote:
I began this topic, and just as an update I want to report that my eBay purchase is complete and I am very happy with it! Although the actual value of an RCI point is still a mystery to me, I've got enough of the things to be able to vacation to my satisfaction.

I will report on my personal experience with eBay in the "Buying and Selling" forum.

================ While the RCI point allocation is certainly mysterious, it doesn't seem as mysterious as the RedWeek point system.

Mike N.
Feb 08, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
mackf4 wrote:
Hi, all!

I am considering timeshare ownership (courtesy of eBay), and I am struggling with the question of how many RCI points I need to be bidding for. I've called and written RCI, themselves, on the assumption that surely THEY must know ... they do (I still assume), but won't divulge such sensitive information to a curious non-member. I sent RCI an email which hopefully clarifies my needs, but they aren't going to reply for 48 hours, which is too late for some of the auctions I'm looking at. I'm desperate for quick answers, so I will reprint my email here, in case somebody in RedWeek land can help me out:

Dear RCI,

I just had an extremely unpleasant experience speaking with one of your customer service representatives who was unable to help me with my question. This was following yesterday's call to a representative who answered my inquiry with misinformation. I'm hoping that somebody at your corporation will be able to assist me with my problem:

I am not an RCI points member ... yet. I am considering purchasing a timeshare resale that converts into a number of RCI points. My goal is simple - I want to be able to look at some charts for different properties to determine exactly when and where I will be able to "spend" these points. Before I pay somebody thousands of dollars to buy an allotment of points, shouldn't I know exactly what they are worth? How will I know if 60,000 points a year will satisfy my vacationing needs, or if I ought to purchase 90,000 per year instead?

My quest to become more informed about your point system seems reasonable to me as someone on the verge of commiting to an expensive purchase, yet I've been unable to get my questions answered in a satisfactory manner. Your first representative whom I spoke with assured me that the point breakdowns for your affiliated properties are readily available to anyone on the RCI website. Not true. The second customer service agent told me that I may have NO INFORMATION unless I am already member, and I must make my points purchase blindly, simply hoping for the best. He would not transfer me to a supervisor, or anybody else who could possibly help me. His only suggestion was to refer me back to the resort that had referred me to RCI in the first place!

So, is there any way for me to get the information I need to make an intelligent points purchase? Do you have a department that caters to the recruitment of non-members? It might be a good idea to be more forthcoming, as the attitude I've encountered from your company thus far only perpetuates the "myth" that timeshare ownership is a worthless scam where slick salesmen talk unsuspecting people into buying something that is impossible to use.

My confidence in your company is not very high at this time, after reading on the Internet about RCI member experiences, but I have visions of palm trees dancing through my head and I'm not yet prepared to give up hope. If you can find some way to simply allow me access to the secrets of what an RCI point is actually WORTH, I might proceed with my timeshare purchase so you can collect my exchange fees ... and my childrens's ... and my children's children's, etc.

Thanks for your time! MF

I suppose since none of you can get me into the bowels of the RCI website, my question to existing RCI point members are:

1. How many points do you receive each year?

2. How many resort nights can you get in peak season? Value season? (I know this will vary greatly with location, but approximately how much bang do you get from your vacation buck?)

3. Do you feel you have enough points each year? Do you ever resort to buying/borrowing?

Thank you for your answers! MF

========== I get 61,000 points/year. This is enough to get a two-bedroom Gold Crown unit most places in the US, Canada, and Mexico (high season). Of course there are resorts that will be higher. For Hawaii, Europe or the Caribbean I may have to go to a Silver Crown or Standard Resort or downsize the unit to a one bedroom or studio. If you want to exchange for a 2 bedroom Gold Crown Resort in Hawaii, plan on at least 80,000 to 90,000 points. For example, a Gold Crown 2 bedroom in Hawaii lists for 79,000-90,000 in April (1 bed is 59,000). For my 61,000 points I was able to book 4 nights in Maine (2 bedroom), 5 nights in a studio in Aruba,and I still had 5,000+ points left over that I can carry over.

If you have some more specifics such as resorts, season, size, etc, let me know and I can try finding out more info for you. Hope this helps Mike

RCI points is a very flexible system. You can save 40% of a week's point value by staying at points resorts from sun thru thursday. Are you retired or are you still working? The more flexibility you have with your vacation planning schedule, the more time you will be able to get out of your RCI Points. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THE TIMESHARE THAT YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT PURCHASHING HAS BEEN DEEDED INTO THE RCI POINTS SYSTEM!!!! Otherwise you will be at the mercy of whatever price the resort you are purchashing at will charge for conversion into the RCI points system. My wife & I get around 140K points per year. In approx 1 yrs time we have been able to stay 1 week in Las Vegas, 5 Nights from Sun-Thurs in Las Vegas, 5 nights Sun-Thurs in Palm spgs, 5 nights Mon-Fri in Kaui,hi, 1 week in Waikiki, HI, 1 week in Orlando,Fl, & 5 nights in Palm beach Fl. Most of the units were one bedroom. The units in Kaui, & palm spgs were 2 br units. Please also be advised that RCI charges fees ranging from 59-169 for making points reservations. My wife & I figure that between the 4 properties that we own, we spend around $3000.00 between annual dues and reservation fees as well as incidental charges such as taxes and resort fees per year. I hope this helps you or any one else interested in the points system.

Douglas Z.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.