Morritt's Tortuga Club

Special Assesment

Oct 05, 2007

Anyone really understand why we have a 2008 special assesment again? Looks like a $75-115 increase in annual fee and special assesment of $200-285. The Hurricane Dean reference is getting a little tired....

Starting to seem like a regular thing....any advice on who to vote for also?

Chris S.
Dec 04, 2007

The special assesment, I was told is to upgrade the units, finally. So we get to help pay for it. How nice of them!!!

Jodi N.
Dec 19, 2007

jodin13 wrote:
The special assesment, I was told is to upgrade the units, finally. So we get to help pay for it. How nice of them!!!
Well, isn't that Special!!!! Now that WE have paid for upgrading everyone else's units , they are going to LET US pay for doing ours as well. I say Enough is Enough....why are they not getting their insurance money & will any of this be returned?

Randy L.
May 02, 2008

letzdance wrote:
jodin13 wrote:
Well, isn't that Special!!!! Now that WE have paid for upgrading everyone else's units , they are going to LET US pay for doing ours as well. I say Enough is Enough....why are they not getting their insurance money & will any of this be returned?

I am confused about why the insurance isn't picking up these expenses also. If they want to blame this special assessment on the hurricane then their insurance coverage should be paying the bill not the owners. In light of the prices of fuel and cost to get people to the resort, this seems like another obstacle.

Teri K.
May 02, 2008

terik17 wrote:
letzdance wrote:
jodin13 wrote:

I am confused about why the insurance isn't picking up these expenses also. If they want to blame this special assessment on the hurricane then their insurance coverage should be paying the bill not the owners. In light of the prices of fuel and cost to get people to the resort, this seems like another obstacle.

they are still waiting for the insurance money is what I heard. I was just there this past week and they have not even started the second seaside building, because they are waiting for the insurance money. Oh and they had not done any upgrades to the unit that I was in, looks just the same as before.

Jodi N.
May 02, 2008

chris1180 wrote:
Anyone really understand why we have a 2008 special assesment again? Looks like a $75-115 increase in annual fee and special assesment of $200-285. The Hurricane Dean reference is getting a little tired....

I couldn't Agree more!!!! This is just one BIG run around as far as I am concerned. They have a captive audience so why not bleed it dry!!! You are right, we paid to have the other units done & now the Tortuga units look like s--t, so why not make us pay yet again. I don't understand what is going on with the insurance company.You can't even DUMP the Thing. Someone has been trying to sell his unit for $1 with no takers!!!!!!! As far as voting, I have no idea, anyone that will STOP ASSESMENTS!!

Randy L.
May 14, 2008

Is there anyway that we can all UNITE and get to the REAL REASON(S) for this DRAMATIC INCREASE!! When I bought the unit in 2004 the fee and special assessment DOUBLED in just three years. I believe they are trying to run us off so they can repo the units and increase their profits with new sales of our units. Any suggestions how we can Unite?

Stephen G.
May 14, 2008

stepheng75 wrote:
Is there anyway that we can all UNITE and get to the REAL REASON(S) for this DRAMATIC INCREASE!! When I bought the unit in 2004 the fee and special assessment DOUBLED in just three years. I believe they are trying to run us off so they can repo the units and increase their profits with new sales of our units. Any suggestions how we can Unite?
HI, Perhaps the easiest & quickest way since the owners are located all over would be online. I don't know who represents the owners on the board, but if we could send out a mass email asking other owners to submit their complaints in writing to one email address (maybe you would be willing to collect them) perhaps we would have enough evidence to bring some kind of class action suit against the resort (for witholding information). Maybe one of the owners is an Attorney and could let us know if we have a leg to stand on. The management has done NOTHING in my opinion to satisfy anyones complaints. They just want us to SPEND MORE MONEY and upgrade to the Grand so they can redo (with OUR Money) and resell the Tortuga units. I would be willing to help organize in any way I can.

Randy L.
Jul 01, 2008

I have about 10 units so please just let me know who to vote for. I know their are 2 Morritts on the board but it would seem that no one else cares about the spending or there is a lot of information not being shared. Maintenance is supposed to include funds for capital reserve for the improvements they are now doing. In the past, all they did was spray paint the wicker and occasionally change a mattress.

Chris S.
Jul 01, 2008

chris1180 wrote:
I have about 10 units so please just let me know who to vote for. I know their are 2 Morritts on the board but it would seem that no one else cares about the spending or there is a lot of information not being shared. Maintenance is supposed to include funds for capital reserve for the improvements they are now doing. In the past, all they did was spray paint the wicker and occasionally change a mattress.
Does anyone that owns happen to be a Lawyer? Not knowing the law and if this is even possible...could all the owners unite & REFUSE to pay their maintenence & assessment fees (putting the money into escrow account) until Management Properly addresses the Assessment, Building, Refurbishing , etc. issues. We as owners have NO Idea where all this money is going and why hasn't the insurance company come through. Did management Screw Up when it came to Properly insuring the property? Also, are their grounds to sue management?

Randy L.
Jul 02, 2008

chris1180 wrote:

I'm getting tired of this, too! My guess is that since the US dollar is so low in value, the Board is trying to get us to sell our units and then they can resell them at a higher cost to those in other Countries.

We do need to put a stop to this ASAP.

How many of you would sign a Petition saying that we are not going to accept anymore increases without "adequate" explaination and "agreement" by all owners

Stephen G.
Jul 02, 2008

Any suggestions how we could get a Petition signed by timeshare owners stating that we refuse to accept any further increases in fees and assessments without adequate explanations and agreement by Timeshare owners?

Stephen G.
Jul 02, 2008

An Email Petition would be the fastest, but how you would go about getting all the owner's email addresses I don't know. There must be a master list, but you would need someone in management to give it to you. You can however COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!

Randy L.
Jul 15, 2008

I have owned at the Tortuga Club since 1992. I also own a week in The Grand Mayan in Nuevo Vallarta. They are owned by Grupo Mayan. I bought in 2005 and my maintenance fee is 797.00/week. They are very well run. My fee has not been raised and they tore down their oldest resort in Acapalco and rebuilt a new one at no cost to owners. They also had one of their resorts damaged in a hurricane that was also rebuilt with no fees to the owners. Also rebuilt one of their golf courses. In addition ,this year ,I got a letter informing me that because of the economy, if I don't use my unit this year, I don't have to pay my maintenance fee. Very impressive. The way they handle their remodeling is when you buy, you agree to pay a double maintence fee every 5 years to redo the unit. I recently was on another timeshare presentaton in Mexico and the rep told me that is BS how they raise their maintenance fees and special assessments. That is where they make their money. I would never buy at Morritts again after seeing what else is out there.

Mary F.

Last edited by mary1880 on Jul 18, 2008 05:08 AM

Jul 25, 2008

This website is a forum for owners at Morritts. http://morritts.17.forumer.com/ There is a special section for owners only, as well as a general section. You will find very valuable information on this website. There are two owner reps on the board for the Tortuga and two on the Grand board. There is an owner rep from each board that is very active on the forum and answer any and all questions. You can also send them private messages from this forum.

Nancy R.

Last edited by nancy1005 on Jul 25, 2008 10:18 AM

Sep 01, 2008

I agree with everyone...I just wish that the resort would buy back my unit. I have been trying to sell it for 2 years...I think the word is out that this whole place has turned into a "bad deal". Any one out there want to buy a Tortuga 2-bedroom townhouse with poolside view for $6,500.00 dollars.

Eric W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.