General Discussion

Celebrity Resorts rip off!

Oct 14, 2007

Any folks out there pay big bucks to Medresorts years ago, before a class action lawsuit against them for fraudulent business practices ended their little scam? They were picked up by American Vacation Resorts who promised to fulfill original terms of contract. They went bust, and were picked up by Celebrity Resorts. Last year, we were all "assessed" an additional fee over and above the $400+ dollar maintenance fee to help keep the program afloat. I thought it was fishy and told them it was extrotion at the time, but was assured this would fix things. Now, here we are one year later, and more $ is being extorted. Of course, we have the option to end our memeberships (Duh!) which is just would they would like. Somehow, this white collar crime continues to go on. Let's band together and file a class action lawsuit against the Florida bottom-feeders and end the extortion.

Dennis M.
Oct 14, 2007

dennis993 wrote:
Any folks out there pay big bucks to Medresorts years ago, before a class action lawsuit against them for fraudulent business practices ended their little scam? They were picked up by American Vacation Resorts who promised to fulfill original terms of contract. They went bust, and were picked up by Celebrity Resorts. Last year, we were all "assessed" an additional fee over and above the $400+ dollar maintenance fee to help keep the program afloat. I thought it was fishy and told them it was extrotion at the time, but was assured this would fix things. Now, here we are one year later, and more $ is being extorted. Of course, we have the option to end our memeberships (Duh!) which is just would they would like. Somehow, this white collar crime continues to go on. Let's band together and file a class action lawsuit against the Florida bottom-feeders and end the extortion.

Unfortunately, inept company management and incompetence does not necessarily constitute legally actionable wrongdoing. Celebrity is no improvement whatsoever over the prior belly-up ownership you mention, so your troubles are far from over. My advice would be to try your best to abandon that sinking ship before you drown.....

KC
Oct 14, 2007

There are a few Celebrity Owners Groups on the Yahoo Boards. They may try to combine them, or even begin a softjel BBS ( like the tugbbs ) because of all the problems.

I know when the Ramada T/S resorts went to Leisure, and then Leisure went Kaput, Celebrity somehow began to manage them.

Since so many of the units sit empty and owned by the HOAs of many Celebrity resorts, GUESS WHO WINS WHEN THE HOA VOTEs come up. (Yep...Celebrity Management....and gues who then controls the maint fees and assessments.....yep!...and if the property seem valuable to Celebrity....guess how much they will assess until YOU pay for their fix up, and then finally give up your unit because YOU can't afford the maint & assessments...

So I also figure you can guess who wins?

If you can't find those Celebrity Owner Yahoo boards, reply...I'll try

Kenneth K.
Oct 14, 2007

Here is one...try here;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Celebrityresortsowners/

Kenneth K.
Oct 14, 2007

Found the site ( a paid bbs) they just started. Much easier to work.

Not much posted yet:

http://www.timeforweb.com/celebrity-resorts/index.php

Kenneth K.
Oct 18, 2007

Thanks all! I will be jumping on the forums ASAP!

Dennis M.
May 15, 2008

kekouri wrote:
There are a few Celebrity Owners Groups on the Yahoo Boards. They may try to combine them, or even begin a softjel BBS ( like the tugbbs ) because of all the problems.

I know when the Ramada T/S resorts went to Leisure, and then Leisure went Kaput, Celebrity somehow began to manage them.

Since so many of the units sit empty and owned by the HOAs of many Celebrity resorts, GUESS WHO WINS WHEN THE HOA VOTEs come up. (Yep...Celebrity Management....and gues who then controls the maint fees and assessments.....yep!...and if the property seem valuable to Celebrity....guess how much they will assess until YOU pay for their fix up, and then finally give up your unit because YOU can't afford the maint & assessments...

So I also figure you can guess who wins?

If you can't find those Celebrity Owner Yahoo boards, reply...I'll try

We are trying to get them to take our week back and all they do send more requests for exhorbitant fees. How do we dump these creeps?

Eleanor B.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 15, 2008 12:47 PM

May 15, 2008

Help me dispose of my week. I stopped paying the fees and told them to take it, but they keep trying to collect and add more and more fraudulent fees.

Eleanor B.
May 15, 2008

eleanorb5 wrote:
Help me dispose of my week. I stopped paying the fees and told them to take it, but they keep trying to collect and add more and more fraudulent fees.

Be aware that some timeshare weeks can't even be given away (disposed of). I don't know anything about Celebrity Resorts and their foreclosure procedures, but you are responsible for any fees until you no longer own the week. Celebrity will more than likely foreclose affecting your credit rating.

R P.
May 15, 2008

eleanorb5 wrote:
======================================

Unfortunately, you can't force them to take your timeshare back if they simply don't WANT to take the deed back. The legally owed money from owner fees is far more valuable to them than the paper deed to something they would have difficulty reselling --- and no one pays any maintenance fees on an unsold "paper" week. Accordingly, they want the money you owe them a whole lot more than they want your deed back...

The truth is, you OWN the timeshare (and you own the legal responsibility for its fees, as well as any interest and late payment charges imposed on unpaid fees) until you legally part with your ownership. Those fees are surely unwelcome, but are not actually "fraudulent".

Ultimately, they MAY foreclose on you, but since that process costs money in legal fees and is also quite time consuming, that is definitely their last choice of action. Foreclosure also results in the filing of a negative credit report against you, if that is of any concern to you (it will certainly come up when you apply for any future loans, mortgages, etc.). Before even considering initiating foreclosure proceedings, they will likely first engage collection agencies to hound you to "square up" with your accumulating debt.

It's a tough pill to swallow, I know, but if you are really and truly desperate, you might at least consider just paying what you owe in arrears fees (and stop the interest and late charges from accumulating any further) and then put the timeshare up on Ebay for one dollar, just to get rid of it, with the buyer paying the closing costs. Although the Celebrity name is not at all well respected among experienced timeshare owners, someone on eBay might still think it's a bargain and worth the risk --- for only a dollar, anyhow.

In any scenario, you are ultimately legally responsible for those fees. Whatever you decide to do, don't take the "ostrich approach" (stick your head in the sand, hope that it all goes away on its own --- it won't). Be proactive and get out from under this burden. You'll lose money, but you'll retain your sanity and peace of mind.

Just my personal opinion...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 15, 2008 06:04 PM

Jun 30, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
dennis993 wrote:

Unfortunately, inept company management and incompetence does not necessarily constitute legally actionable wrongdoing. Celebrity is no improvement whatsoever over the prior belly-up ownership you mention, so your troubles are far from over. My advice would be to try your best to abandon that sinking ship before you drown.....

Lori N.
Apr 24, 2009

Hi,I have just gotten another "special assesment" from Celebrity Resort's and wonder if anyone has an action against them I can join.Thanks Mick 760 272-0281

Mick M.
Jul 08, 2009

They ripped us off too. Please anyone call 2025960006. Something has to be done. we have a special assessment too. And they did not reinstate us.

Robin W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.