Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

who have you tried to rent from and got scammed

Nov 16, 2007

i am trying to rent a t/s and want to know some names of people that have scammed other people

Dawn R.
Nov 16, 2007

dawnr69 wrote:
i am trying to rent a t/s and want to know some names of people that have scammed other people

Dawn I really doubt you will get many names this way!

I would just say you should spend some time on here and other sites reading forums on these subjects and keep a list.

Remember that if someone did get caught on here and there have been a few lately they would be banned from Redweek and go to another site under different name or maybe back here under different name.

You just need to do your home work and when working with someone ask questions and for some proof.

If you have bad feeling then don't deal with this person and also remember the other person might feel same way as you do.

Phil L.
Nov 16, 2007

phill12 wrote:
dawnr69 wrote:

Dawn I really doubt you will get many names this way!

I would just say you should spend some time on here and other sites reading forums on these subjects and keep a list.

Remember that if someone did get caught on here and there have been a few lately they would be banned from Redweek and go to another site under different name or maybe back here under different name.

You just need to do your home work and when working with someone ask questions and for some proof.

If you have bad feeling then don't deal with this person and also remember the other person might feel same way as you do.

============ What I'd really like to see is a list of names that treated people fairly and honestly.

Mike N.
Nov 17, 2007

Quote:
What I'd really like to see is a list of names that treated people fairly and honestly.

Oh my goodness Mike, that would be a lot of names since there are thousands of member rentals on Redweek ... naming the honest members would be an almost impossible task. Also, if someone has been scammed by a Redweek member and it hasn't been reported to Redweek then they would have no knowledge of such.

I would hope that anyone that's been scammed from an ad here would contact Redweek to let them know so they can take whatever action is necessary to ban that member from placing ads.

There are socalled rental companies that have scammed people and they are discussed here on Redweek. You can find those by doing a search.

I haven't seen any evidence of an individual owner of a rental that has scammed anyone .... or if they did, it wasn't discussed in the forums.

R P.
Nov 17, 2007

jayjay wrote:
Quote:
What I'd really like to see is a list of names that treated people fairly and honestly.

Oh my goodness Mike, that would be a lot of names since there are thousands of member rentals on Redweek ... naming the honest members would be an almost impossible task. Also, if someone has been scammed by a Redweek member and it hasn't been reported to Redweek then they would have no knowledge of such.

I would hope that anyone that's been scammed from an ad here would contact Redweek to let them know so they can take whatever action is necessary to ban that member from placing ads.

There are socalled rental companies that have scammed people and they are discussed here on Redweek. You can find those by doing a search.

I haven't seen any evidence of an individual owner of a rental that has scammed anyone .... or if they did, it wasn't discussed in the forums.

============= Jayjay, I agree with you completely...hope I don't upset some of your antagonists :). While I've only rented out my unit a copule of times, I'm in constant contact with them and make sure I can do everything possible on my end to have a mooth transaction. I also ask these folks if I can use them as a reference in case future renters have any doubts about my integrity. Have a great weekend.

Mike N.
Nov 17, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
Jayjay, I agree with you completely...hope I don't upset some of your antagonists :). While I've only rented out my unit a copule of times, I'm in constant contact with them and make sure I can do everything possible on my end to have a mooth transaction. I also ask these folks if I can use them as a reference in case future renters have any doubts about my integrity. Have a great weekend.

I think communication is the key with both owners and renters. We rented from a Redweek member in Charleston, SC. I could pretty much tell, via our communications, that she was an honest person, although good vibes don't necessarily work in every case.

Also, a rental agreement signed by both owner and renter is a must. The Charleston, SC owner had a rental agreement of her own that we used, but there are rental agreements here on Redweek if one does a search.

I would rent from you in a NY minute, as you seem to have all your ducks in a row and you know exactly what to do.

R P.
Nov 17, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
jayjay wrote:
Quote:

Maybe the best way for something like this to be handled is a rating system where we would see how satisfied each customer was with the transaction, kind of like ebay.,============= Jayjay, I agree with you completely...hope I don't upset some of your antagonists :). While I've only rented out my unit a copule of times, I'm in constant contact with them and make sure I can do everything possible on my end to have a mooth transaction. I also ask these folks if I can use them as a reference in case future renters have any doubts about my integrity. Have a great weekend.

Linda S.
Nov 24, 2007

Hmmm I suggested the feedback system like eBay about a year ago. Thought it was a great idea at the time and still do. I do not own any timeshares but have rented many from this site. So far so good....Great experiences so far! (knock on wood) :) Looking to rent again so here I am :D

Nancy H.
Sep 28, 2008

Ask a LOT of questions.... and 'assess' the answers you receive.... Use the Art Linkletter approach: "What did your mother tell you NOT to Say today?"

Firstly, 'Shop Early'...If you wait until the Last Minute the chances for 'problems' are greater. 1) You HAVE to contact the Resort DIRECTLY, to determine IF the person offering accommodation ACTUALLY Has the time alloted/booked/availble/assigned/whatever. Request (nay, Demand) a "Confirmation" directly from the Resort That means, you (the Tenanat) will HAVE to have Paid the Rental FEE too by that time. 2) Be SURE to have ALL the telephone (or other acceptable contact methods) numbers of Resrt, Owner, etc... AND be prepared to provide YOURS. 3) REAL Owners should be able to provide Additional Information regarding the ammenities, things to see and do, in the area near the Resort. Real Owners WANT their Rnters to have a Good Vacation Experience... in contrast, agency reps are are UNable to provide such service. You shant expect Valuable Information from 'schoolboys' who have never 'warn Your Shoes'.

Donald D.

Last edited by donaldd67 on Jan 28, 2009 11:46 PM

Jan 28, 2009

I was scammed by Fairfield beach Reality in Florida.I paid in July for a 2 week rental for 12/20/08 - 1/03/09. When I arrived there was no reservation for me.

Stephanie R.
Jan 28, 2009

stephanier89 wrote:
I was scammed by Fairfield beach Reality in Florida.I paid in July for a 2 week rental for 12/20/08 - 1/03/09. When I arrived there was no reservation for me.

So, what happened? Did you get in touch with Fairfield Beach Realty, and if so, what did they say? Were you able to check in anyway?

R P.
Jan 28, 2009

Apparently Stephanie neglected to obtain a "Confirmation" from the Resort. She paid several MONTHS in advance but the Reservation was 'overlooked' by the Agency.. Probable Causes: 1) Change of Staff (First 'schoolgirl' left and another replaced her) 2) Agency lacks a PLAN or Policy to prevent such problems 3) Payment was not 'registered'.... (lost in the mail??) 4) Everyone... Just Forgot!!

I suspect many readers have had a similar experience whith Hotels, Airline Tickets, Auto Rentals, etc.

Suggestion: Rent ONLY from Private Owner.... and DISCUSS all your concerns.. be 'reasonable' too.

Donald D.
Jan 29, 2009

Fairfild Beachdid not return any calls. I had to rent another unit for 1 week and move to another hotel the second week.

Stephanie R.
Jan 29, 2009

My payment did not get lost. I received a rental confimation which was a scm. No one heard of fairfield beach . What do you do work for one of these scam agency and these ae alist of your excuses.

Stephanie R.
Jan 29, 2009

Sorry Stephanie for MY Misunderstanding of your situation. Your initial post made no mention of either a Confirmation nor Direct Communication from or with the Resort. Now, your last post 'reveals' "no one has heard of Fairfield Beach".... (I presumed that I was the only person not knowing that). Finally Stephanie, if you reread any or all of my posts on this thread (or any other thread) you will understand that I am as disgusted with and anxious to eliminate, the 'scammers' as you are. I am merely an owner of a 'few' TimeShare Units who has advertised on Redweek a couple of times with FANTASTIC Results.

Donald D.

Last edited by donaldd67 on Jan 29, 2009 01:54 PM

Jan 29, 2009

I am still confused about HOW Fairfield Beach Realty are successful in obtaining new 'clients'.

I have read (for several hours) several hundred different cases of apparent fraudulent and "StrongArm Tactic" situations in Florida.

Question: Are there ANY Legitimate Realty Companies in the State of Florida?

Donald D.
Jan 29, 2009

Two ABSOLUTE Facts You KNOW it's a Scam whenever....... 1) Any 'Agencey' offers to Sell (or Rent) YOUR Property for a FEE (payable in advance) 2) Whenever a 'Agency, Realtor-Co. Service, Whatever' CLAIMS to have their Headquarters in Florida.

Donald D.
Jan 29, 2009

stephanier89 wrote:
Fairfild Beachdid not return any calls. I had to rent another unit for 1 week and move to another hotel the second week.
Stephanie, would you mind telling us WHERE this 'Bogus Resort' was supposedly Located? You mention the Name of the Realty Firm, but no Destination (at least I am not clear what/who we should be Alert to)

Donald D.
Jan 30, 2009

The first thing I would have done was contact the resort to see if they had the confirmation in their system.

R P.
Jan 30, 2009

jayjay wrote:
The first thing I would have done was contact the resort to see if they had the confirmation in their system.
Jayjay, HOW do you make contact with a non-existant (bogus) Resort?

Donald D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.