Hanalei Bay Resort

2/2 Ocean View

Nov 25, 2007

Are unit prices based on views or are assignments done on first come first served basis? Also reviewing the comments on Trip Advisor the maintenance of the units are not upto standard. Any truth to this?

Jr D.

Last edited by marty8084 on Nov 26, 2007 11:50 PM

Mar 01, 2008

jrd3 wrote:
Are unit prices based on views or are assignments done on first come first served basis? Also reviewing the comments on Trip Advisor the maintenance of the units are not upto standard. Any truth to this?
Unit assignments are based on first come first served basis. Most of the Trip Advisor comments are for 1BR units. 1BR units are two hotel units with a kitchen and living area in one side. While an owner cannot lock out a 1BR unit, the resort will often rent 1 side through outlets like Expedia. As a result, a guest may be sleeping on a sleeper sofa.

The 2BR units were built as condos. Also, only about half of the resorts units are in the timeshare scheme. Owners of non-timeshare units rent them out, but the condition of those units vary, as the interiors are maintained by the owners.

Peter S.
Mar 25, 2015

We are buying an annual 2/2 timeshare unit. How far in advance can you book?

Mary Williams

Mary W.
Apr 21, 2015

I have been going to HBR for decades and I have skipped the whole timeshare option. I have rented the individually owned condos because it is cheaper and allows me to know exactly what condo I get. Most of the great reviews from Trip Advisor are from those units. My heart goes out to the time share owners for the roller coaster ride HBR has been for many of them through the many incarnations of this property. I would also say that HBR is coming back and all the updates and improvements to the property are outstanding. The new management has been very good for this little piece of heaven.

Marsha S.
Apr 21, 2015

I just want to point out that all of the timeshare units have been renovated in the last couple of years. Those timeshare units are comparable to many of the individually owned units. Timeshare owners do have the ability to select the unit that they will stay in. Of course, it is based upon unit availability at the time you reserve. Not all of the non-timeshare units have been renovated in the recent past, but you can usually find pictures of the individually owned units on their rental websites. Owning a 2 bedroom timeshare at today's prices is cheaper than renting.

It is not really "new management" that made this possible, as a lot of the staff has been there for years. Improvements are the result of the owners gaining control of their resort after a hard fought battle.

Peter S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.