General Discussion

IBD-Marketing Complaint. If you were ripped off by them as well please reply.

Mar 24, 2008

Good Day everyone,

If anyone is interested I am contacted the FBI concerning how IBD Marketing has disappeared. Their phone number is no longer connected. Their website no longer works either. I will post mor einformation as soon as I have more.

Brad R.
Mar 24, 2008

bradr43 states: Good Day everyone,

If anyone is interested I am contacted the FBI concerning how IBD Marketing has disappeared. Their phone number is no longer connected. Their website no longer works either. I will post mor einformation as soon as I have more. ===========================================

With all due respect, an advertising agency deciding to "close its doors" is not actually a federal offense. Accordingly, it's not a matter in which the FBI has (or likely ever will have) any particular interest or, for that matter, maybe not even any actual jurisdiction.

I have no use whatsoever for these assorted upfront fee parasite advertising companies. I am always delighted to see one go out of business as a result of an increasingly cautious and better informed consumer population. The fundamental fact remains, however, that these parasites did not actually commit any crimes when they convinced unwary people to VOLUNTARILY *CHOOSE* to pay them exorbitant fees for useless and ineffective "advertising".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 24, 2008 10:14 AM

Mar 24, 2008

ken1193 wrote:

If anyone is interested I am contacted the FBI concerning how IBD Marketing has disappeared. Their phone number is no longer connected. Their website no longer works either. I will post mor einformation as soon as I have more.

===========================================

With all due respect, an advertising agency deciding to "close its doors" is not actually a federal offense. Accordingly, it's not a matter in which the FBI has (or likely ever will have) any particular interest or, for that matter, maybe not even any actual jurisdiction.

I have no use whatsoever for these assorted upfront fee parasite advertising companies. I am always delighted to see one go out of business as a result of an increasingly cautious and increasingly better educated consumer population. The fundamental fact remains, however, that these parasites did not actually commit any crimes when they somehow convinced unwary people to VOLUNTARILY *CHOOSE* to pay them exorbitant fees for useless and completely ineffective "advertising".

Actually it is a matter of Internet Fraud. Now just because they have to close their doors due to people complaining. Teh company still has to inform the individuals who paid them the money to have them sell their piece of property and they go out of business. Especially if they claim bankrupcy. But thank you for your opinion.

Brad R.
Mar 24, 2008

bradr43 wrote:
Actually it is a matter of Internet Fraud. Now just because they have to close their doors due to people complaining. Teh company still has to inform the individuals who paid them the money to have them sell their piece of property and they go out of business. Especially if they claim bankrupcy. But thank you for your opinion.
============================================

I sincerely wish you luck. I think you are "tilting at windmills" and will not actually get the ear of the FBI. These parasite advertising companies have been coming and going for years and the case has yet to be made that overpriced advertising (or stopping doing so) is actually a crime. Nonetheless, I 'd be glad to be mistaken in my belief and I genuinely wish you success.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 24, 2008 10:22 AM

Mar 24, 2008

Why Thank you. I actually sopke to a Local Police Officer and he directed me towards the FBI. On the FBI Website there is a complaint department called IC3. So if you have been ripped off, you should at least have it documented. I know that I will never receive my money back. But I want to make sure that it doesn't happen to anyone else.

I may not get anything accomplished. But I have to at least try so that no one else gets ripped off.

Brad R.
Apr 08, 2008

bradr43 wrote:
Good Day everyone,

Good Day!

PLEASE!!!! Keep me posted w/ IBD's contact information. I am also a victim of a scam. I have called several times, no response and now I am learning the number is disconnected.

DeVona S.
Apr 08, 2008

ken1193 wrote:

===========================================

I have no use whatsoever for these assorted upfront fee parasite advertising companies. I am always delighted to see one go out of business as a result of an increasingly cautious and better informed consumer population. The fundamental fact remains, however, that these parasites did not actually commit any crimes when they convinced unwary people to VOLUNTARILY *CHOOSE* to pay them exorbitant fees for useless and ineffective "advertising".

I agree with your comments, however, when an agency misleads or take advantage of an individual it is a crime and something can be done.

DeVona S.
Apr 09, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
With all due respect, an advertising agency deciding to "close its doors" is not actually a federal offense.

I have to disagree with the statement above. When an upfront fee scam company shuts it doors holding thousands upon thousands of dollars that people have paid them, I would consider this a federal offense (or it should be) as it would be considered an internet scam.

Who else would go after these people if not the FBI? I'm with the poster who suggests contacting the FBI via their webpage and voicing all complaints about this company. Somebody has to step up to the plate in whatever venues they see fit to have these scumbags arrested .... kudos to that poster.

R P.
Apr 09, 2008

YES i PAID THEM TO SELL MY CONDO AND NOW i CAN'T EVEN FIND A NUMBER FOR THEM............. hELP!

Marjorie A.
Apr 11, 2008

I was also a victim to IBD Marketing. I knew it was a mistake as soon as I did it, but then it was too late. Let me know if you get anywhere with your complaint, or give me a website and I will also file my own complaint. Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Tracy M.
Apr 14, 2008

One year ago I was convinced that I should pay an upfront fee to sell my timeshare. I agreed to pay the amount to have the timeshare posted on the internet - and it was. Two months ago, I received a call stating that they had a bid on the timeshare and were hoping to close on the property by the end of that week. Skeptical (believing it was too good to be true) I contacted the original person I spoke with via his personal cell phone. He informed me that he no longer works for the company but will call to verify that a closing is in order before I forward the money for closing costs. He returned my call, and reassured me that everything was in line for a closing and that they simply required a western union transfer of $1900 for closing costs and that they would overnight my proceeds that same day. After gathering the funds for this transfer, I forwarded the money - only to find out that the entire situation was bogus and I was scammed. I also have the police involved in this situation and would appreciate a reply from you if you make any headway with persuing this matter. Likewise, trying to contact them is an impossible feat and the owner of the company has a record as tall as I do. Apparently, he goes by many different alias's even though he filed his company with the secretary of state for 2008! He has been arrested in the past for larceny, etc. and has many convincing people working for him --- please be cautious!

Nadine A.
Apr 15, 2008

Good Morning,

Here is the Website that I filed the Complaint on. They are a section of the FBI. They are the Internet Crime Division. I have not received an email from them yet as far as I know. I need to check that email. But here is the Website. http://www.ic3.gov/.

Brad R.
Apr 26, 2008

bradr43 wrote:
Good Day everyone,

My name is Callen and I like an idiot had my timeshare listed with ibd over a year ago, with the assurance that it would sell within 90 days of said listing, for the price of 18,000, should have known better. By the way my timeshare is the imperial of waikiki. They charged my credit card an upfront fee of $449.00 without a signed contract. Now I cant even get on the website, or get anybody to return my calls. Wow do I feel stupid, just want to get rid of this money pit i that i dont even use anymore.

Callen M.
Apr 26, 2008

callenm wrote:
My name is Callen and I like an idiot had my timeshare listed with ibd over a year ago, with the assurance that it would sell within 90 days of said listing, for the price of 18,000, should have known better. By the way my timeshare is the imperial of waikiki. They charged my credit card an upfront fee of $449.00 without a signed contract. Now I cant even get on the website, or get anybody to return my calls. Wow do I feel stupid, just want to get rid of this money pit i that i dont even use anymore.
==========================================

Callen: Don't beat yourself up. You trusted an entity which was not worthy of that trust; that doesn't make you an idiot. Unfortunately, however, there is virtually NO chance of recovering that money. What these "upfront fee" parasites (and others like them) do is shameless, despicable and unethical --- but NOT illegal, until and unless changes are made to the applicable laws currently on the books. That money, which you paid (voluntarily) for expensive and ineffective advertising is GONE, plain and simple.

That said, look forward. Review eBay listings and closed sales there for weeks like yours to determine what your week is really "worth". It's worth what people are actually paying today, regardless of what you may have paid for it previously. List the week at a competitive price on RedWeek, MyResortNertwork.com, TUG2.net, Bidshares (free), CraigsList (also free), VacationTimeshareRentals.com (also free). I'm not a fan of eBay, but that's another option too. For less than $100 total investment, you can adverise your timeshare to be seen by anyone on planet Earth who is a potential buyer.

Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 27, 2008 09:59 AM

May 06, 2008

bradr43 wrote:
Good Morning,

Here is the Website that I filed the Complaint on. They are a section of the FBI. They are the Internet Crime Division. I have not received an email from them yet as far as I know. I need to check that email. But here is the Website. http://www.ic3.gov/.

If everyone files a complaint with IC3 about this company and what happened to them. Then that will definitely be a legimate complaint. Hopefully we can nail these Companies. So that honest Americans do not get screwed over again. Again the Website is www.ic3.gov.

Brad R.
May 20, 2008

bradr43 wrote:
bradr43 wrote:
Good Morning,

If everyone files a complaint with IC3 about this company and what happened to them. Then that will definitely be a legimate complaint. Hopefully we can nail these Companies. So that honest Americans do not get screwed over again. Again the Website is www.ic3.gov.

I was ripped off by IBD as well. For the comment that says this is not a federal case........ you are very wrong. IBD was and still is being investigated. That is why they closed up shop so quickly. After I filed a complaint I was actually contacted and threatened by one of their employees via email. He promised to come to AZ and kick the living you know what out of me. I am still waiting........... me and my 45 that is : )

So if anyone associated with IBD.......... I am still waiting in AZ : )

Loretta S.
May 31, 2008

devonas2 wrote:
bradr43 wrote:
Good Day everyone,

Good Day!

PLEASE!!!! Keep me posted w/ IBD's contact information. I am also a victim of a scam. I have called several times, no response and now I am learning the number is disconnected.

Peter D.
May 31, 2008

I have also been ripped off. They took $2094.00. I ahve contacted 3 different BBB's. I have also contacted the attorney general for Florida. Waiting for a response.

Kathy Y.
Jun 03, 2008

kathyy24 wrote:
I have also been ripped off. They took $2094.00. I ahve contacted 3 different BBB's. I have also contacted the attorney general for Florida. Waiting for a response.

It is a miserable situation to be in. I lost over $1800 as well. I filed a complaint at the FBI website( http://www.ic3.gov/) like others have suggested. I am also trying to work thru American Express to have the charges disputed. In most instances, AMEX will investigate the incident as a fraudulent charge. However, i believe there is a statute of limitation in which to file the claim with AMEX. If anyone has used their AMEX to make the "upfront payment" like I have, you may want to go inquire if they can do anything to help. Good luck to all and please keep posting any updates you may have on IBD. Those scumbags.

Dharam S.

Last edited by dharams on Jun 03, 2008 11:06 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.