Jun 09, 2008

Greetings, I have owned a timeshare for 4 years now (Palm Beach Shores Resort w/ RCI) in the Palm Beaches area of Florida and have mostly used it to exchange. I have not regretted purchasing until I actually stayed at my home resort (last week) and was disapointed with the unit size. We also visited the Marriotts Ocean Pointe Resort and viewed their beautiful 2 bdrm model for the upcoming Oceana Palms Resort. Which is to be completed in 2010 and is located about 1 mile north of the Ocean Pointe. I own (2) 1 bdrm units at Palm Beach Shores, which is a gold crown and beach front. one unit is anually and the other is bi-annually and both are on the weeks system in June. We do not wish to ever return to this resort, but would love to purchase at the Oceana Palms. However they are asking for a minimum of $25,000. So now I am at a croosroads....do I sell, rent, convaert to points system, upgrade to a more expensive time of year and use for trading power? Also, what are the disadvantages of purchasing aftermarket? espessially in the case of Marriott? Any help is appreciated! thank you for you time!

Matthew

Matthew W.
Jun 09, 2008

mattheww48 wrote:
Greetings, I have owned a timeshare for 4 years now (Palm Beach Shores Resort w/ RCI) in the Palm Beaches area of Florida and have mostly used it to exchange. I have not regretted purchasing until I actually stayed at my home resort (last week) and was disapointed with the unit size. We also visited the Marriotts Ocean Pointe Resort and viewed their beautiful 2 bdrm model for the upcoming Oceana Palms Resort. Which is to be completed in 2010 and is located about 1 mile north of the Ocean Pointe. I own (2) 1 bdrm units at Palm Beach Shores, which is a gold crown and beach front. one unit is anually and the other is bi-annually and both are on the weeks system in June. We do not wish to ever return to this resort, but would love to purchase at the Oceana Palms. However they are asking for a minimum of $25,000. So now I am at a croosroads....do I sell, rent, convaert to points system, upgrade to a more expensive time of year and use for trading power? Also, what are the disadvantages of purchasing aftermarket? espessially in the case of Marriott? Any help is appreciated! thank you for you time!

Matthew

============= If you are looking at new construction and want to buy resale, you might have to wait a few months for all those people, that bought from the developer, realize they made a mistake and are now trying to sell.

One perk that owners get by buying from the developer is the opportunity to convert their week to Marriott Hotel Points, which then can be used for air travel, hotels, etc. The developer might offer hundreds of thousands of points plus additional points for every year you maintain the financing. Some people have taken trips to Europe & stayed in 5-Star hotels using their points. I'll let you decide if paying the extra to the developer is worth the cost of these points.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jun 09, 2008 11:44 AM

Jun 10, 2008

continue to exchange it, as you have been happy with the exchanfe results.

Warren F.
Jun 13, 2008

I agree with Warren, if you have been happy with what u have been getting for what u own why spend $25k and what about $1k in main. fees. To me that just isnt worth it at worst you could rent your weeks at Palm Beach and cover your main fees there. We looked into Marriott but there main fees were just way too high. However their properties are beautiful but we havent been able to justify paying those kind of mfees w/ such a high investment to begin with especially when you know those main. fees are just going to go up.

James D.
Jun 21, 2008

mattheww48 wrote:

Matthew

Dont know if this helps, but we had fixed week also, due to a sister not wanting to deal with the maintenance fees. She said she did not use it every year. Well we bought more to convert to points, I thing I like this best, too bad you have to buy to convert but thats what it does. Im not sorry we bought more and it so much easier to just book now.

Anita F.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.