Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Which TS company would best suit my needs?

Jun 12, 2008

My family and I vacation every year in Siesta Key, FL for one week at a beachfront 2 bdrm condo. Rental is $1,500 per week and I am hopeful that by investing in a TS that I can come out ahead in just a few years. We have a 7 year old son.

I am wanting to take two, one week vacations per year (2 bdrm req'd). Once in early June to the gulf coast of FL. It does not have to be Siesta Key and looking at the TS maps there are limited choices there. I am looking for a laid back, family oriented vacation spot with white sand and shallow waters. Probably up in the panhandle.

The other vacation week (late August) I would like to be able to vary where I go. I would like to be able to go to Hawaii, New York City, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Colorado, Caribbean, eastern and western Mexican coasts, WDW / DL, the Charleston, Savanna and 4-7 night cruises. Maybe last minute weekends in the Smokies if the price is right.

I've would like to stay within one company but don't know if that is going to be possible. DVC and it's relationship with II probably best suits the bill but is is also one of the higher cost TS's. Suggestions are very much welcome.

Thanks, Autoeng

Kelly G.
Jun 12, 2008

Forgive me further questioning but I am a newbie and trying to learn from multiple sources and soemtimes getting conflicting advice.

As I am very well nailed down into the time and location that I want to holiday in FL don't I take a big risk in not being able to find what I am looking for as an exchange that meets that criteria? If I buy a Branson, MO timeshare for $200 with a $400MF who is to say that anyone will be willing to exchange a high want week in a high want location for a high want unit (the FL unit, that is.)

The other week I can understand somewhat more as it is going to vary in location.

Thanks

Kelly G.

Last edited by kellyg133 on Jun 12, 2008 08:51 AM

Jun 12, 2008

It is why I said points. What ever timeshare you buy has to be points. It is the new system they cam up with. If you have 56000 points it is equivalent to 56000 points and it doesn't matter which resort is your home resort. As far as being able to trade for that FL vacation. You should be able to put in for it and have it reserved every year. You can reserve 2 years out. So pick the best resort that you want to stay in and book it in advance every year. With points you should have no problems. You can use points for airfare and other items as well.

Fl timeshares are in an abundance and have lost all of their value do to 2 factors. One they over built the area and the insurance is outargues. I have seen weeks with over $1000.00 yearly fees. Granted that is less than you currently have been paying, but you could buy a place pay $400.00 and trade into it. Very easily. Early June is not a real prime week, as many kids are still in school across the states, again you will not have a problem trading for that week.

Warren F.
Jun 12, 2008

Thank you, I better understand now.

Kelly G.
Jun 12, 2008

Kelly I do disagree about RCI only because I hated belonging to Rci back in the late 80's and sold our unit and left for II.

Over the years we have had friends also leave Rci for same reasons and even now you read everyday complaints about RCI service or lack of!

I have always stated buy where you love to go and use exchange as back up plan. We only do request first with II and get our pick or go to our resort that year and have great time.I would agree not to buy in Flordia for exchange but if you know the resort you want and week you want then you can get great deals on resales.

If your vacation is the same week every year you might even want to buy a fixed week and never worry about getting turned away. Most family needs change over the years and sometimes owning a fixed week great first few years but like life things change. I think your asking the wrong question because no one on here can recommend which timeshare resort or timeshare company is best for you. This is only something you can decide on by trying different resorts and area's yourself.

Also if you buy in resorts that deals with II then you can request first and not lose your week. Remember II only makes fair exchange and have the higher tier resorts so don't think you will by a one bedroom and trade to Hawaii for a two bedroom unless its within the 59 days limit.

When most of us say don't buy in Flordia its because timeshares are a dime a dozen there so exchange not as great as far as value. There are some very nice resorts in Flordia, The Disney World area just has to many resorts! Outside of this area much better if this is a location you have interest.

Also again in my opinion buying a low end resort and expecting to trade high just not going to happen. Buy what you want to vacation in every year and if it cost you a little more then fine but get what you want.

This will save you many years of being a unhappy timeshare owner! PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Jul 15, 2011 08:50 AM

Jun 12, 2008

True with II or RCI or any exchange, you can not trade low for high. With points you get so many points period, if your unit is low you get fewer points if your unit is high you get more points if it is one bed you get fewer points and so fourth.

With RCI their weeks program stinks and is worthless as points take priority over weeks. So it is very hard to trade weeks with RCI.

II is starting to experiment with points as RCI is making a fortune with it. I will expect II weeks to become worthless like RCI weeks are now. I would not buy into an II resort now.

As far as buying a resort that you love and want to go to year after year, to many things change. When it is a hot place they will build more and more to meet the demand. They will build a new one across the street that you will like more. If you have the right trading units you will be able to do what you want v's having to settle for what you have.

Warren F.
Jun 13, 2008

kellyg133 wrote:
My family and I vacation every year in Siesta Key, FL for one week at a beachfront 2 bdrm condo. Rental is $1,500 per week and I am hopeful that by investing in a TS that I can come out ahead in just a few years. We have a 7 year old son.

I am wanting to take two, one week vacations per year (2 bdrm req'd). Once in early June to the gulf coast of FL. It does not have to be Siesta Key and looking at the TS maps there are limited choices there. I am looking for a laid back, family oriented vacation spot with white sand and shallow waters. Probably up in the panhandle.

The other vacation week (late August) I would like to be able to vary where I go. I would like to be able to go to Hawaii, New York City, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Colorado, Caribbean, eastern and western Mexican coasts, WDW / DL, the Charleston, Savanna and 4-7 night cruises. Maybe last minute weekends in the Smokies if the price is right.

I've would like to stay within one company but don't know if that is going to be possible. DVC and it's relationship with II probably best suits the bill but is is also one of the higher cost TS's. Suggestions are very much welcome.

Thanks, Autoeng

My wife and I got a TS program about six months ago at Canada House called Vacation Village Voyages. We have been extremely happy with the program. We got three weeks annually for about $9k best part there is no maintenace fees. We have been able to book weeks where we wanted to go, so now we are in the process of trying to sell our other units to get rid of all these outrageous main. fees we have incured. I dont know how flexible you are at booking last minute but we have no children and like to be spontaneous and went to Playa Linda in Aruba last month for $300. Just two more trips like that and we will break even. Hope this helps in your quest and good luck. Jim

James D.
Jun 14, 2008

warrenf17 has inaccurately stated: >> Fl timeshares are in an abundance and have lost all of their value...<< ================================================

A blatantly false and overly broad generalization, with just one noteworthy exception actually being even remotely correct. The Orlando / Kissimmee area is indeed overbuilt with timeshare facilities and, accordingly, values are low there and are likely to go even further downward in a weak (and worsening) economy. Values also seem to be a bit weak in the Daytona Beach area as well, with its preponderance of very old infrastructure, except for some high demand weeks (e.g., weeks 7 and 9, Race Week and Bike Week, as well as the October Bike Week); those weeks tend to hold their value quite well since demand consistently exceeds supply for those particular weeks.

On the SW FL coast (more specifically, Sarasota area, Fort Myers Beach, Bonita Beach, Bonita Springs, Naples, Marco Island, and the entirety of the Keys) timeshare values are strong, solid and increasing in most instances. These areas are essentially "built out" already and the facility weeks are mostly completely sold out, except for some assorted "float" weeks or other "off-season" weeks of lesser value. Accordingly, values in that entire geographic area will likely continue to hold steady and strong --- and even increase further. As Will Rogers once said of land, "they just aren't making any more of it". Sorry Warren, but you're simply dead wrong in your broad (and clearly uninformed) quoted statement.

Maintenance fees are admittedly higher than average in the Keys, where property values (and hence, property taxes) are higher than average, even for Florida, where property taxes are high anyhow. Insurance costs have also spiralled upward in Florida ever since Hurricane Andrew, after which many insurers decided not to even "write" poicies any longer at all in Florida. All that aside however, only certain specific, isolated areas of Florida have really seen any decline at all in timeshare values, just an upward tic in maintenance fees.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 15, 2008 07:38 AM

Jul 11, 2008

Hi, I would recommend to you Little Gull Cottages in Long Boat Key for very nice 2 bedroom homes on the beach. I stayed there in the past and the beach is nice the resort is nice and in your target area. I believe they are in II but if you buy a fixed week you will look forward to revisiting for years to come. Just my 2 cents. Chris

Christine K.
Jul 11, 2008

jamesd331 wrote:
kellyg133 wrote:

Thanks, Autoeng

My wife and I got a TS program about six months ago at Canada House called Vacation Village Voyages. We have been extremely happy with the program. We got three weeks annually for about $9k best part there is no maintenace fees. We have been able to book weeks where we wanted to go, so now we are in the process of trying to sell our other units to get rid of all these outrageous main. fees we have incured. I dont know how flexible you are at booking last minute but we have no children and like to be spontaneous and went to Playa Linda in Aruba last month for $300. Just two more trips like that and we will break even. Hope this helps in your quest and good luck. Jim

Good luck to you. I would be very leary about buying anything that had no maintenace fees. Insurance, electricity, gas. maintenance personnel etc. How are these costs going to be covered? If they are not covered in some manner, the property will deteriorate and not be very useful to you in the future. Stan.

stanleyf5
Aug 17, 2008

I know this is an old conversation, but I wanted to tell you what I think. Do not buy points! This is typically more expensive because you will need more points to go to the places that you want during the times you want. Instead, you should buy a unit that "locks off". Purchase two bedrooms or more that you can take one year's fees and make two units from. Marriott is a classic very good example here. Eventhough timeshare is very plentiful in the Orlando area, a Marriott always trades well. The best part of going with the larger corporations is you have priority within that company. If you put your unit in for trade, you call II Marriott desk and they will offer you Marriott priority within Marriott in II. The rule is if they have a unit equal to yours, they must give it - even if it is in a lower season. The other really great thing they usually don't tell you about is every other year. So, you purchase basically half a timeshare, but because you have lockoff, you can travel every year or twice every other year. Maintenance is 1/2 because you are only really buying 1/2 a unit and then they usually offer a locked in price in case you decide in 12 months that you should have bought the whole thing. However, buying resale is always cheaper. Just be careful if you go that way. Good luck.

Sue G.
Aug 18, 2008

stanleyf5

Quote:
My wife and I got a TS program about six months ago at Canada House called Vacation Village Voyages. We have been extremely happy with the program. We got three weeks annually for about $9k best part there is no maintenace fees. We have been able to book weeks where we wanted to go, so now we are in the process of trying to sell our other units to get rid of all these outrageous main. fees we have incured. I dont know how flexible you are at booking last minute but we have no children and like to be spontaneous and went to Playa Linda in Aruba last month for $300. Just two more trips like that and we will break even. Hope this helps in your quest and good luck.

Quote:
Good luck to you. I would be very leary about buying anything that had no maintenace fees. Insurance, electricity, gas. maintenance personnel etc. How are these costs going to be covered? If they are not covered in some manner, the property will deteriorate and not be very useful to you in the future. Stan.

I don't know about this particular system, but it looks to me like it's a vacation club of some sort. They paid to be in the club ... they don't own anything but the membership and perhaps they pay yearly membership dues, therefore no maintenance fees are involved since there is no deed of ownership involved.

R P.
Feb 11, 2010

Vacation Village Voyages was developed by Vacation Village Resorts in 2006 after 2 years of researching and surveying current timeshare owners. We listened and developed a "state of the art" product whereby members can use first class resort condominiums all over the world, save money on cruises and hotels, pay no maintenance or exchange fees, and use multiple weeks a year in any size unit. We have thousands of members who are happily using Voyages.

It is truly a great product! It is not well known yet, because we have only marketed in a few select locations in Florida but it will be national in due time.

Davidb F.
Mar 03, 2010

I would recommend Bluegreen Vacation Club. If you buy a resale make sure you use a Bluegreen consultant otherwise you will end up without the high demanded & needed charter benefits that you need for your family. Their points system works from camping all the way up to palaces in Europe if that's what you need. From Hawaii to Aruba. Their alliance is huge. Contact me for info if you like. I own with Bluegreen for over 12 years & wouldn't want to change it for anything. You need to know how much you are willing to pay to maintain your properties & what you exactly want. Bluegreen has a matching package for every wallet.

Roland R H.
Mar 24, 2010

I'm with Roland, a very happy Bluegreen owner for about a decade now. It is a points system, NOT RCI POINTS, so you can do short stays or whatnot. It has one of the two Charleston, SC timeshares in existence.

They continue to add destinations, features, etc., that has really added value to what we originally bought. They care about their owners and do not nickel-and-dime like so many other resort systems. I would suggest you contact Pinnacle Vacations to buy resale yet, get all the features of the program.

look at resorts here: bluegreenonline.com

but that is only the tip of the iceberg.

Vicki Y.
Jul 15, 2011

I am one of the Assistant Directors with the Voyages program, please feel free to contact me and I may be able to assist you.

Antoinette F.
May 25, 2012

I suggest you rent at several resorts first before making your decision. Timeshares are great if you know how to use them but the wrong one at the wrong time can cause huge headaches.

Travis D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.