Harborside Resort at Atlantis

Added taxes and fees

Jul 08, 2008

I was very fortunate to get an exchange through Interval for a week at Harborside. Needless to say, waited a long time and when I got the confirmation it was for a year later. But thats OK. - I'm flexible. Here's my question though. If you get an exchange through II do you have to pay all those extra taxes and fees? Energy fees, housekeeping fees, administrative fees? I know at some resorts they can add up to a hefty amount (Like Club Land Or' next door). If this question has already been asked, I'm sorry, but since its FINALLY getting closer to travel time, I don't want to be hit with a huge bill on check out that I was not expecting.

Thanks so much.

Linda W.
Oct 13, 2008

Just returned. There are no additional fees for II exchanges - in case anyone wants to know. What a pleasant surprise. We ate breakfast and most dinners in our unit so only had a snack/lunch tab and of course the bar tab for the week.

Linda W.
Oct 17, 2008

Thanks - this was my exact question I think, I'm booking into Harborside in January with an II exchange guest certificate. Is this the same thing????

Janet P.
Oct 18, 2008

I would think the guest certificate would be the same as the regular II exchange. Yup, no additonal fees. It was a wonderful surprise. This was the first time I've ever had NO additonal fees (energy surcharges, housekeeping etc.) Too bad its so difficult to get in there. Between bringing our own food and no fees, we could have gone on a shoestring - if the kids hadn't hit the bars too many times!!

Linda W.
Oct 30, 2008

Hi, I am going next september and was wondering what was the weather like since I assume you went late september or beginning of october.

Thanks

Darquise L.
Oct 30, 2008

We were there 10/4 to 10/11 and the weather was ideal. Sept. is a tad more humid. I've been there in Aug/Sept. and now Oct. and never had negative weather. The sun is not quite as intense as mid summer which is good. Still need sunscreen tho. The pavers around the pools do get hot so wear flip flops or the like. Of course is is hurricane season so there is no telling about those darn things. Showers are usually short lived - like 1/2 hr or so if that - and usually toward late afternoon. I'd rather be there in Sept than July.

Linda W.
Oct 31, 2008

lindaw - what kinds of things do you recommend we pack??? I've heard that some people go as far as packing frozen foods !!! I will bring coffee and some snack foods but beyond that what else can you suggest that may be rather expensive to purchase??? I guess now we have to start weighing in the baggage charges before we get too crazy packing food!!!

Janet P.
Oct 31, 2008

First off, I took one of those little rolling coolers that looks like a suitcase. Packed frozen foods in it: 5 lbs spare ribs, 5 chicken breasts, 2 packs hot dogs, butter, cream cheese, burger meat, 2-1/2 lbs of sausage, bagels, lunch meats. We left at 5 am and it was still frozen into the afternoon when we got it into the frig.. So we had several meals all set = franks and beans. spagetti, spare ribs, baked chicken. Walmart has this vac packed spagetti sauce which we used along with a package of dry mix along with a can of paste. Baked beans, bread, mac & cheese, spices, coffee, tea, drink mixes, cereal and the like in the suitcases. Actually we only ended up eating out at the Fish Fry the first night there and the last night there at the Green Parrot. Everything else was in the unit. Well, numerous afternoon snacks out when someone got hungry and way too many frozen drinks. 3 of us, (2-20 somethings into the party scene and me) and our total bill at check out was $400. There wer actually 5 of us, but 2 were on a different charge card. You use your room key as a charge card so everything is on it and you can go down to the desk every day and get a print out of your charges. Take whatever you can in plastic sandwich bags instead of original packages to save on weight. We spent about $75 in the supermarket the first night getting milk, juice, fresh fruit and some other odds and ends we had forgetten. Definitely weight your bags before the final pack because you don't want to go over. We weren't even close to going over. We used the cooler as a carry on. Take dish/sink detergent as tey don't supply that. There is dishwasher detergent but not liquid for the sink. But that in a small bottle, you don't need much. Oh yes, and an SOS pad as the pots are stainless - not non stick.

Sorry to get so long winded here, but the more your prepared, the better. Don't buy at the little store at Harborside - example - load of bread = $4.00. One person I was talking to said her husband when in to get a few little incidentals - bread, milk, eggs, juice for the next am and spent nearly $100.

We had a wonderful time and are really looking forward to the next time.....(next Sept.) Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Linda W.
Nov 03, 2008

We also bring lunch meat frozen for lunch==buy it at Costco==just leave inthe original packaging. BTW--you should get dish soap==not just for dishwasher==if you don't have any ask for it. Don't bring too many clothes--use space for snacks etc. Bring soap for washer in plastic bags==pre measure before you leave==and then you are ready to go. Bring extra baggies for lunch sandwiches--we also bring Crystal light to make tea/lemonade and a plastic bottle for everyone to have for the day==we freeze them at night and bring to the pool for a cold drink.

Maria W.
Nov 06, 2008

Thanks everyone for the tips & tricks. I will definitely be using your suggestions. I'm a bit confused about dish soap, dishwasher detergent and laundry soap - do they supply it or do you have to ask for everything or is it just easier to bring alittle of your own???? We just got our Dolphin Encounter confirmation and are getting really excited. We're 64 days out (yes, the kids are counting!!!) and can't stop thinking about the trip.

Janet P.
Nov 06, 2008

Dishwasher detergent is supplied. We did not get any sink dish soap and had brought a small bottle of our own anyway so it was no big deal. Laundry detergent is also not supplied. Some friends did the Dolphin thing and loved it and the next day did the Sea Lions tour and got FABULOUS pictures with the sea lions. Check it out when you are there. They said it was well worth the $$.

Linda W.
Nov 06, 2008

No laundry detergent but we always get dish soap in addition on dishwasher packets--I think if you ask for it you should get it as I think the cleaners didn't leave it when they were supposed to. Unless it is something new we have always gotten it and have gone since 2001. Also you can ask for more shampoo etc. if you need it. Same goes for paper towels. Also check out turtle feeding and stingray feeding--a few folks on Trip Advisor says due to Beach Tower closing they haven't had it but hopefully when we go again early January it will be back--it is our kids favorite--it is usually T/Th at 2--check the daily schedule.

Maria W.
Nov 06, 2008

palmtre--you might be there when we got based on your 64 days--we are there 1/3-1/10

Maria W.
Nov 07, 2008

We will probably pass each other in the airport Maria, we'll be there 1/10 to 1/17. I've been watching the forums on Tripadvisor for Nassau and Scubagirl (she frequents the island and has many friends that work at Atlantis) says many layoffs are in store and the closings may get worse before they get better. I'll prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It's a shame to pay premium prices for the place and get such reduced services. Perhaps it's a good thing if you're in the market for a resale, it may drive the prices down. Not such a good thing if you already own.

Janet P.
Nov 07, 2008

Just FYI--SGl is pretty negative on Atlantis for some sort of agenda. I am wolfie on that site and am also a destination expert. I think you will find services won't be that affected--I have always found help to be very accommodating and I am also guessing that those that remain will want to keep their jobs and are also happy that they still have a job. Some restaurants may be closed but that is always the case when we go--just ask the front desk for a schedule of restaurants that are open/closed during your stay. Don't let the negatives stress you--you will have a great time and if you have any other questions/concerns let me know

Maria W.
Nov 10, 2008

Another stupid question about packing your own food - do you check the rolling cooler or carry it on??? Okay two stupid questions - does the food have to remain in it's original packaging (for customs) or can you break the meats down to freezer bags?? Funny isn't it Wolfie how some people can slant threads in a certain direction. Our family is so looking forward to this vacation, that nothing could stress me out over it (except apparently bring our own food!!!!). There is so much to see and do that a week won't be enough time even if half of Atlantis is closed. We are doing the dolphin thing, the straw market, the fish fry, possibly a snorkel trip (weather dependant), aquaventure, see a movie or two, roam Nassau (pirate museum- queens staircase,etc) , maybe rent a car one day and discover the joys of driving on the opposite side of the road,and lay in the warm sun and just relax ......... That ought to take about a week!!!!

Janet P.
Nov 10, 2008

Bring meat in original packaging--I would check the bag--when we went to St Thomas one year I had cream cheese in a smaller cooler and they made me go back and check it--they consider it a cream--and more than 3 ounces--go figure. Get a porter at the airport and they will get you through without even stopping--worth the tip to not be bothered w/questions. You will have a great time--it is the best place to take kids!

Maria W.
Nov 10, 2008

Also I didn't put ice packs in--since I froze the lunch meat (got from Costco and vacuum sealed then frozen) and other stuff there was no need--stayed cold/frozen.

Maria W.
Nov 11, 2008

I usually bring my cooler as a carry on only because if the luggage is lost...........need I say more. This last time I brought a frozen tub of butter and a tub of cream cheese and there was no problem. Never occurred to me they would consider those things a liquid. But that was at FLL. It seems every airport is different RE: what they are going to allow. I also had an aerosol can of foam hair gel and they kicked that back - so yeah - go figure!! In MIA I even had a bottle opener taken away from me?????

Linda W.
Nov 16, 2008

Just FYI--a recent poster on TUG who was at Harborside reported no more dish soap==really ticks me off--can't decide whether to bring some or just put EVERYTHING in the dishwasher since they provide that! With the high maintenance fees taking this away is nonsense!

Maria W.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.