Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts reduces owner benefits again!

Dec 24, 2010

That by no means is an odd question but on St Maarten there is NO SALES OFFICE nor ADMINISTRATION and the ONLY way to contact that company is via the Internet to as Vegas So where are the TAXES paid? Should Mr Maduro let me use his email I shall surely let everyone know as he is a St Maartener and does not like at al what is going on. Diamond resort have APPEALED the Judgment but with nothing new. However the Judgewill be referred to this site as well Pamela

Pamela J.
Dec 24, 2010

Attention all Royal Palm Owners. Don't give up your units, stand tight as a new legal development has been uncovered! Documents recently uncovered explicitly provided that when 50% of the inventory was sold, control of Royal Palm went to the leaseholders. An investigation into the matter has uncovered that the 50% figure was reached in the late 1990's. The legal documents uncovered are quite clear about the rights of the leaseholders. All leaseholders (not Points owners) are covered by this document as its provisions are in the lease contract by reference. The document restricts expenditures over $25,000 without the permission of the leaseholders unless part of a previosuly adopted budget. The budget must be approved by the leaseholders.

2011 is shaping up to be an interesting year - so don't give up hope.

DIamond R.

Last edited by diamondr4 on Dec 25, 2010 04:46 AM

Dec 27, 2010

Pamela... i hope you do not think you are all alone in this scam! Thank you for keeping us updated.

Dank... I am a weeks owner and there is a clause in my documentation (not sure if it was in the Bylaws or other) that did not allow us (owners) to do anything to disturb other guest, therefore I would not be allowed to talk others at the resort about the negative aspects of Diamond. I wanted to wear a T-shirt with some descriptive language about DRS or a website address for a group against the scam but I'm afraid it would have embarrassed my family....

"they have opened a window to surrender your timeshare for 250.00. after my m/f raised. I cut the lost and move on because they are not sellable."

Isn't that cute...Diamond will take back the timeshare they sold you for thousands of dollars and they have the nerve to charge you.....SCAMMERS

Keith P.
Dec 27, 2010

"when joining a club program which does not let the members retain their voting rights, that they are giving up any oversight protection they had and are relying on the Developer"

Can any of the points owners look at their paperwork to see if DRI specifically "The Club" holds your voting rights.

Great article about Timeshare Developers & Owners http://www.tstoday.com/members/magazine/issue103/developers%20control.pdf

Keith P.
Dec 28, 2010

Greetings,

Can anyone verify DRI is still accepting units and points using a surrender process. Also need to verify the fee. Is it $250 per unit or $250 for the service including multiple weeks etc.

Thx Erman

Erman C.
Dec 28, 2010

I believe that is how they control the boards, they vote our timshare points as a trust... Can we take our votes back and cast them as individual members with points... I believe that DRI is crooked, their accounting is distorted at to who is using the units, as they rent them cheap if you listen to their spiel, and its hard for us points owners to make a reservation.. PLUS they keep selling points way beyond their capacity to provide space for the committments already made to "Deeded Owners" etc.... Its like a Ponzi Scheem they continue selling something they actually do not have to sell... There are only 10,169 @ weeks at the Point of Poipu, how many of those weeks are obligated, I will bet many times that number, its is a crime.... Michael

Michael D.
Dec 28, 2010

ermanc wrote:
Greetings,

Can anyone verify DRI is still accepting units and points using a surrender process. Also need to verify the fee. Is it $250 per unit or $250 for the service including multiple weeks etc.

Thx Erman

I believe you can surrender them, and the $250 fee is the transfer fee per week. I do not know if they will charge you the transfer fee to surrender.

Gary B.
Dec 29, 2010

Link to Hawaii Government Complaints http://hawaii.gov/dcca/rico/business_online/check-out-a-business-online.html

This is the greatest thing I have seen regarding Diamond & Owners This is a website put up by the owners at Poipu Point to take back their resort!!! Check it out and support them if you can.

http://poipuowners.org/Home_Page.html

Keith P.
Dec 30, 2010

Part of my **current dilemma….I have tried to handle my 2011 maintenance fee matter and HERE I GO AGAIN… I sure hope this MF issue doesn't turn into a NIGHTMARE!!! I just went through almost a whole year of NOT being able to use timeshare due to no fault of my own and now this!!!!!!!

WHY does my account show -4488 for my points. I had 14512 *prior using 9500points for MF today, so that's 5012 points left not 4488??? It’s bad enough, I’m being charged $45 to use "my own points" to pay maintenance fees, so what's up with the 524 point difference??? WHY and WHO keeps adding new unfamiliar fees on my account, esp. AFTER having received a bill of $1695…not $1732.96. How can I be owed a $35 credit and my MF bill was $1695 prior to [$35 a credit and $5 optional] deduction, which leaves balance of $1655. Now, all of a sudden, DRI Guest relations email says MF was $1732.96??? I NEED all my points and don't need any points taken AWAY from me. Am I to assume it shows minus until I pay remaining fees, if so, “that” I understand, but not a DEDUCTION of 524 less difference??? For HOURS, I still can't even get anyone to ever answer the phone when I keep calling [at several different divisions], nor can I leave a message for a return call!! How am I suppose to handle business and they "deliberately" are not available??? And dare them not, turn around and try penalizing me any “late” fees!!!

THIS/Below is a lawsuit [March 2010/?still pending] segment from site and not sure if editor [• Michael Levine, assistant news editor, can be reached at 245-3681 (ext. 252) or mlevine@kauaipubco.com still available. PLEASE pass on to me how to join this class-action effort. I have several NIGHTMARE incidents w/DRI.

The DRI executives said the Vacation Owners Association and the Association of Apartment Owners boards of directors, which approve in-unit and common-area expenditures, respectively, hold up to a dozen budget meetings annually to go through projected costs and gains “line item by line item by line item.” While both five-member boards have three “developer representatives” despite holding a small minority of intervals, Riddle said traditional deeded owners can change that during annual elections — which are to be held today. “If they aren’t happy, they could vote us out,” she said. “They have the power to do that.” DRI has the authority to appoint one member to each board, leaving four spots up for grabs. The VOA board, with staggered two-year terms, will be potentially replacing one developer rep and both deeded owner representatives, while the AOAO board, with three-year staggered terms, will be potentially replacing one developer rep and one deeded owner. Riddle said the voter turnout is typically 35 to 40 percent, a number that has climbed in recent years as DRI has implemented outreach programs that include an election services company to facilitate voting by proxy, e-mail blasts and Internet voting.

Liz D.
Dec 30, 2010

I forgot to add my email w/info I sent prior... its val-d7@juno.com

awaiting your reply and any legitimate referrals

Liz D.
Dec 30, 2010

from val-d7@juno.com I'm interested in class-action... Part of my **current dilemma….I have tried to handle my 2011 maintenance fee matter and HERE I GO AGAIN… I sure hope this MF issue doesn't turn into a NIGHTMARE!!! I just went through almost a whole year of NOT being able to use timeshare due to no fault of my own and now this!!!!!!!

WHY does my account show -4488 for my points. I had 14512 *prior using 9500points for MF today, so that's 5012 points left not 4488??? It’s bad enough, I’m being charged $45 to use "my own points" to pay maintenance fees, so what's up with the 524 point difference??? WHY and WHO keeps adding new unfamiliar fees on my account, esp. AFTER having received a bill of $1695…not $1732.96. How can I be owed a $35 credit and my MF bill was $1695 prior to [$35 a credit and $5 optional] deduction, which leaves balance of $1655. Now, all of a sudden, DRI Guest relations email says MF was $1732.96??? I NEED all my points and don't need any points taken AWAY from me. Am I to assume it shows minus until I pay remaining fees, if so, “that” I understand, but not a DEDUCTION of 524 less difference??? For HOURS, I still can't even get anyone to ever answer the phone when I keep calling [at several different divisions], nor can I leave a message for a return call!! How am I suppose to handle business and they "deliberately" are not available??? And dare them not, turn around and try penalizing me any “late” fees!!!

THIS/Below is a lawsuit [March 2010/?still pending] segment from site and not sure if editor [• Michael Levine, assistant news editor, can be reached at 245-3681 (ext. 252) or mlevine@kauaipubco.com still available. PLEASE pass on to me how to join this class-action effort. I have several NIGHTMARE incidents. Can we get info to Anderson Cooper/CNN or someone who WILL help expose DRI?? While both five-member boards have three “developer representatives” despite holding a small minority of intervals, Riddle said traditional deeded owners can change that during annual elections — which are to be held today. “If they aren’t happy, they could vote us out,” she said. “They have the power to do that.” DRI has the authority to appoint one member to each board, leaving four spots up for grabs. The VOA board, with staggered two-year terms, will be potentially replacing one developer rep and both deeded owner representatives, while the AOAO board, with three-year staggered terms, will be potentially replacing one developer rep and one deeded owner. Riddle said the voter turnout is typically 35 to 40 percent, a number that has climbed in recent years as DRI has implemented outreach programs that include an election services company to facilitate voting by proxy, e-mail blasts and Internet voting.

Liz D.
Dec 30, 2010

From val-d7@juno.com I'm VERY interested in class-action. Part of my **current dilemma….I have tried to handle my 2011 maintenance fee matter and HERE I GO AGAIN… I sure hope this MF issue doesn't turn into a NIGHTMARE!!! I just went through almost a whole year of NOT being able to use timeshare due to no fault of my own and now this!!!!!!!

THIS/Below is a lawsuit [March 2010/?still pending] segment from site and not sure if editor [• Michael Levine, assistant news editor, can be reached at 245-3681 (ext. 252) or mlevine@kauaipubco.com still available. PLEASE pass on to me how to join this class-action effort. I have several NIGHTMARE incidents w/DRI.

The DRI executives said the Vacation Owners Association and the Association of Apartment Owners boards of directors, which approve in-unit and common-area expenditures, respectively, hold up to a dozen budget meetings annually to go through projected costs and gains “line item by line item by line item.” While both five-member boards have three “developer representatives” despite holding a small minority of intervals, Riddle said traditional deeded owners can change that during annual elections — which are to be held today. “If they aren’t happy, they could vote us out,” she said. “They have the power to do that.” DRI has the authority to appoint one member to each board, leaving four spots up for grabs. The VOA board, with staggered two-year terms, will be potentially replacing one developer rep and both deeded owner representatives, while the AOAO board, with three-year staggered terms, will be potentially replacing one developer rep and one deeded owner. Riddle said the voter turnout is typically 35 to 40 percent, a number that has climbed in recent years as DRI has implemented outreach programs that include an election services company to facilitate voting by proxy, e-mail blasts and Internet voting.

Liz D.
Dec 31, 2010

How do I go about using my points to pay for next year's Maintenace fees? Is it part of the online payment options or does it require a call to DRI to execute? Thanks EC

Erman C.
Jan 01, 2011

Your points can only pay club dues. And you have to use that years points to pay for that years fees. And it has to be done in the begining of the year

Dan K.
Jan 01, 2011

Thanks I know I am not alone but I really want to expose what is going on with Diamond on the island of St Maarten. The Judge told their lawyer that they had to open an office here on St Maarten for financial transactions. I have not received a statement of Maintenance Fees and the NORMAL procedure is to receive an invoice and then pay it. A photocopy of a 'budget' as they send is also not sufficient to prove that the money collected is used here and I know it is not. I have stayed and had FLOODS in the room, old rusted fridges and insufficient supplies. Where do the THOUSANDS of US DOLLARS go? The Government has to look into the 'investors' as we can see with the latest Pelican Saga Its time and via the States where justice is really practised you have to find out if the Las Vegas office is registered! Pamela I have NOT received m fees statements and still NO CONTRACTS and we still have not used the 'new' weeks that Elizabeth Brennan refused to acknowledge they are WRONG. They only threaten when an owner challenges them! I wonder why Jules James left Diamond Resorts and went to Pelican Management?

Pamela J.
Jan 01, 2011

Oahu attorney got Quantas Management Company (Vegas Crooks also) thrown off the Hanalei Bay Resortds Board and out of the property in 2010, and Poipu & Kaanapali DRI properties could do the same.  It is simple get an attorney to threaten a court action suite and do not wait for the state, then it will happen.

Keith P.
Jan 03, 2011

Does anyone know if legal action is pending on Kaanapali Beach Club? My maintenance fees are going up every year, I am told it is because I am one of a fee owners who still holds a deed and hasn't converted to points, so they are trying to force the issue by putting a disproportionate percentage of the fees onto the few remaining owners. Any ideas on how to fight this would be much appreciated.

Randall B.
Jan 03, 2011

Can you give us the lawyer's name? What are the conditions - that it NOT be a points system? Please help us. There are unfortunate families with children who honestly thought they were "investing" for their families and time with children. Instead, they are now being held with the possibility that credit scores might be affected. We had paid ours off, so that won't be our problem. But, I feel for these young families. Please give us a name and contact phone for this lawyer, that was mentioned. Thanks!

Cindy K.
Jan 03, 2011

Yes, but the rate is ridiculous. I can't remember the exact quote they gave me, but it pays only a small fraction. What a rip-off! They get your points, they get to rent out the week(s) you left, and they still get you to pay them having signed up with their system.

Cindy K.

Last edited by cindyk175 on Jan 03, 2011 07:26 PM

Jan 04, 2011

ATTORNEYS NAME'S ARE IN THE LAST PARAGRAPH.

Hanalei Bay Resort Board of Directors Reach Settlement with Celebrity Resorts Press Release from Hanalei Bay Resort Board of Directors

Settlement Agreement with Celebrity: We have reached an agreement between Celebrity Resorts and the VOA and the AOAO, which settles the various legal issues between them. As you know, Celebrity purchased Quintus Vacation Management last year which included the VOA and AOAO management contracts along with certain Developer Rights. They also purchased Apartment 16-A - the Happy Talk Lounge and the Bali Hai Restaurant. The Settlement Agreement enables the buyout of the two management contacts from Celebrity and restores the member elected VOA Board installed last year. The AOAO will have a right of first refusal on a future sale of Apartment 16-A, and some rights to lease or subsidize operations of the Happy Talk Lounge in the event Celebrity feels it is not a profitable operatio n and wishes to close it. The re-opening of the Bali Hai Restaurant is an economic decision that will be made by Celebrity as the restaurant owner—it is currently open on a limited basis. The result is a cessation of excessive legal expenses, a reconciliation and redefinition of Association operational control in favor of the owners, the installation and empowering of a member only board of directors, the hiring of a new professional management company and the onset of a bright and exciting future for Hanalei Bay Resort and you, the members.

New Management Company - Trading Places International (TPI) The VOA and the AOAO Boards have executed agreements with TPI, a resort management company based in Laguna Niguel, California. TPI manages three resorts in Hawaii plus another 19 in the US and Mexico. TPI was one of six management companies the Boards contacted when we sought alternative management, and their references are outstanding. The agreement with TPI will initially be for a three year term, renewable, but entirely under the control of the two respective Boards. TPI will begin the transition of management of the resort as soon as all legal documents have been cleared which will occur early in October—Started Today!

Transition Period Planned / Employees Retained / Board Meeting Planned: There will be a transition period during which an independent auditor will review all income, expenses and advances made by Celebrity for both of the Association's financials to generate a final monetary settlement. We are also trying to resolve the lack of accounting records from Quintus when Celebrity acquired the contracts. This has been a problem in completing our 2008 audit. The resort employees will become employees of TPI. We have compared benefits and salaries to insure that employees do not lose in their transition to TPI. It is TPI's plan to retain most of our employees. An AOAO and a VOA Board meeting is planned for October 17, 2009 at the resort to review the transition, prepare the 2010 budget and complete some long term planning.

Celebrity Resort's Continued Presence at HBR: Celebrity continues to own the restaurants and we look forward to working with them in a harmonious relationship. Their success will benefit each of our owners and guests. As part of the Developer Rights (which Celebrity owns), they will have exclusive rights to market timeshare sales at HBR and to rent unused timeshare weeks under an agreement with the VOA. The AOAO will lease a portion of the Aikane Room (now exclusively the timeshare marketing office) and the Food and Beverage Office on the lower level to Celebrity. The Concierge desks in the lobby will be operated by TPI under a lease with the AOAO, with timeshare marketing leads referred to Celebrity.

2009 Regular Dues Payments: TPI will be providing the VOA interval owners with continued service for the payment of annual fees. They will also be providing the AOAO owners with regular monthly statements so the AOAO owners can complete their regular payments on time. In the meantime AOAO owners should pay their monthly dues to the AOAO account in Princeville. If you are a VOA owner and you are delinquent in the payment of your fees, we would ask and highly recommend that you pay curren t. The Board is securing our future and it is bright and your timeshare will have great value for excellent vacation experiences you bargained to own.

Resort Update: Operations at the resort are generally positive except for the spa. The resort has incurred numerous maintenance challenges with the gas fired heater and pumps this summer. Through the leadership and experience of AOAO Board member Dave Blank, who is a resort manager himself in Colorado, the AOAO board has approved rebuilding and replacement of the heater and pumps. There is a great need to build the AOAO and VOA reserves to the legally mandated levels, and to make major improvements in the VOA units and the boards will be taking on these challenges immediately. There will be a need for an owner assessment, the amount of which is currently being determined. You will be receiving more detail on the assessment along with other information in the next week or so.

Successful Negotiating Team: Many thanks to the Board appointed negotiating team for the Settlement discussions. They have put in numerous hours and great personal effort. Thanks to Bill Kraft and Kent Oehm representing the AOAO; and Dick Schweickert and David Nicholl representing the VOA; and BILL BYRNS and RALPH O'NEIL OUR LEGAL COUNSEL We extend to you our deepest appreciation for your support and patience during this difficult process. We understand that you have been worried and upset over the recent circumstances surrounding your ownership. We thank you for your participation and recommendations and we know that you will be pleased that we have been able to work so well with Celebrity Resorts and arrive at a reasonable reconciliation and secure control of our beautiful resort and our future.

Sincerely, The VOA and AOAO Board of Directors:

Keith P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.