Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Alert to Timeshare Scam

Feb 26, 2010

kylee19 wrote:
my question remains ... do you know of a solution for me getting rid of my timeshare contract? my attorney has done all the homework on several transfer companies and his recommendation is much like Pam's (my neighbors) that Timeshare Relief will transfer my name to a third party for a fee and they are the most reputable. my concern is that after finally understanding the nature of this Wyndham timeshare contract that the least amount of money i or my family will ever pay is a fee to get out of it. my dad never intended for this timeshare to end up with me (i was the executor of the estate and had to take responsibility before the estate could move out of probate) and i don't like over paying for something i can't use when and where i want. i have dozens of internet responses from various blogs and boards but no one has given me an real alternative yet.

You might try giving it away and paying closing costs, however thousands of timeshare weeks can't even be given away in this economy as people don't want to be saddled with maintenance fees (and possible special assessments) forever.

As I stated in my previous post, if you are desperate to rid yourself of your inherited timeshare, then I would think about going with the postcard company that your neighbor used that proved to be successful in getting the timeshare out of her/his name ... people are just not buying timeshares in this economy.

R P.
Jul 15, 2010

(snip)

Ihate C.

Last edited by ihatec on Jul 15, 2010 11:07 AM

Jul 15, 2010

The above is a helpful and informative factual summary of a direct personal experience with one of the notably worst PostCard Companies.

OP, just fyi, these parasites are actually a husband and wife operation (Jonathan AND Christine Gibbs). Since they are bold and brazen enough to continue on in the same practices, even since the dissolution of We Collect Timeshares LLC, the Washington state authorities should be able to easily help you --- if they have ANY brains or energy at all.

I wish you luck. Personally, I think that BOTH of the Gibbs' should be picking up trash by the sides of the road, dressed in bright orange jump suits with the words "Department of Corrections" stenciled on the back... ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

P.S. "ihatec" has now deleted his / her entire informative post above, within a mere 6 hours of posting it, for reasons unknown. I wish I had "quoted" it in my response, so that it would still remain here. Too bad, since it was a post which included some educational and illuminating facts, instead of the half-truths, bad advice and anecdotal observations too often found posted in these RedWeek forums. Perhaps the poster suddenly became afraid of "retribution" of some kind???

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 15, 2010 04:07 PM

Mar 13, 2011

I really am hoping that this thread is no longer dead. I have been introduced to the twisted world of Timeshare Title Transfer Companies. I want to get as much information as I can in what they have done to people for an article that I am working on. If ANYONE is interested in sharing their story, I don't need specific names. I just want to know what happened. The only name I want is that of the Title Transfer Company that you were scammed by. Please email a statement to timesharescams@hotmail.com

Thank you for your time!

Time S.
Mar 14, 2011

I would be interested in getting a copy of your article when you are done. I have been to several of the "presentations".

Judi Kozlowski - Re/Max P.
Apr 30, 2011

don't know if you are still looking to get rid of your timeshare or not, but if you are....

We like your neighbor successfully got rid of our timeshare by using the services of Preferred Transfers. Yes, it cost us $3,495 but they did all that they said they would do and we no longer have annual maintenance fees; the only thing is that we could not write it off as a tax write off (as they said we would be able to do), since we purchased the timeshare for pleasure rather than as a rental property

Randy M.
May 01, 2011

randym170 wrote:
don't know if you are still looking to get rid of your timeshare or not, but if you are....

We like your neighbor successfully got rid of our timeshare by using the services of Preferred Transfers. Yes, it cost us $3,495 but they did all that they said they would do and we no longer have annual maintenance fees; the only thing is that we could not write it off as a tax write off (as they said we would be able to do), since we purchased the timeshare for pleasure rather than as a rental property

Have you checked with the resort to see if the ownership has changed? With some of the postcard companies (which is what you dealt with), ownership doesn't change and supposedly previous owners are still responsible for yearly maintenance fees and any other fees related to ownership.

R P.
May 01, 2011

The transfer was made in September 2009 and we did not receive annual maintenance bills from our resort in October 2009, as we would have, had we still had the resort and no bills were received the following year 2010; so if ownership had not been transferred out of our name, I'm sure we would have received bills for annual maintance fees.

jayjay wrote:
randym170 wrote:

Have you checked with the resort to see if the ownership has changed? With some of the postcard companies (which is what you dealt with), ownership doesn't change and supposedly previous owners are still responsible for yearly maintenance fees and any other fees related to ownership.

Randy M.
May 01, 2011

randym170 wrote:
The transfer was made in September 2009 and we did not receive annual maintenance bills from our resort in October 2009, as we would have, had we still had the resort and no bills were received the following year 2010; so if ownership had not been transferred out of our name, I'm sure we would have received bills for annual maintance fees.

There is a slight possibility that Preferred used the money you paid it to pay the maintenance fees for the last two years while you are still the legal owner.

That's what these Postcard companies are notorious for. Therefore, it is possible that, come October of this year (or even 2012) that you will be receiving a maintenance fee bill.

Have you, as JJ asked you, checked with the resort to make absolutely sure that you are not the legal owner on record? Also, you should have the legal papers from a closing company showing that new ownership has been filed with the county.

Lance C.
May 02, 2011

randym170 wrote:
Sorry Randy, but....

You have NO substantive basis on which to be "sure", unless you have personally confirmed the existence of a new deed officially recorded in a new name (instead of in YOUR name).

Some of these PCC outfits will simply pay maintenenance fees for a few years (with some of the several thousand dollars which YOU previously provided to them) without ever actually recording the ownership in their own name. Some of them will then quietly disappear and, if that happens, take a wild guess who then STILL owns the timeshare at issue?

A recorded deed in a new name (not just the absence of maintenance fee bills) is PROOF that the ownership is out of your name. Anything besides that recorded deed is merely hope, unfounded conjecture and wishful thinking...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 02, 2011 09:21 AM

Oct 16, 2011

It seems that Safe Hands Transfer, Apex Professionals, Direct Transfer and Preferred Transfers are all interconnected.

Has anyone had a successful experience with any of these companies?

Vic P.
Oct 16, 2011

Safe Hands Transfer, Preferred Transfers, Apex Professionals, and Direct Transfers all seem to be connected.

Has anyone had a successful dealing with any one of them?

Vic P.
Jan 09, 2012

I've just read this whole thread and am just baffled at how people like most of you are smart enough to use a computer. I got rid of 2 timeshares through APEX 2 years ago and paid $6000 for it. If any of you would have actually listened and actually came to the seminar for actual information instead of the promotional gift you would have learned what they really do. Most of you all come to "the postcard companies" for the gift, not to actually have an open mind about something they are selling. Do you think the hotels would associate with them if they were scam companies? It's idiots like you that don't have the money today to get your dumb-asses out of debt because you bought a real scam, a time share. You should feel stupid for buying something for a large amount of money knowing you will have to pay for it for the rest of your lives, your kids' lives, their kids' lives, and on and on and on. It was selfish of you to buy something that will be a burden of your kids when you pass away. The seminar was blunt, it did not make me happy, but I gave it a chance and realized that they would indeed be saving me money. I was paying close to $2,400 in mf's from 2 timeshares that cost a combined $630 when I first bought them 10 and 12 years ago. They showed me a diagram that simply showed I could pay $25,000+ in the next 10 years keeping the time share whether I use it or not or I could pay them $6000 that day and I would never have to worry about it again....I chose the only rational decision and put down my credit card, best decision I have made in the past 5 years. For the moron who thinks they rent them, they transfer it out of your name, then dissolve the contract with their name on it....see if your cheap ass would have allowed them to show you that you wouldn't be on here spouting out the mouth incorrect information. The moral of the story folks, if you get a postcard and don't have the money to afford anything, stay home, don't worry about the free gift, enjoy paying money the rest of your life and financially crippling your family you drop your t.s. on when you die. Vicpelton, yes I have had a very successful dealing with APEX, you will not regret it.

Brandsley A.
Jan 10, 2012

brandsleya wrote:
It's idiots like you that don't have the money today to get your dumb-asses out of debt because you bought a real scam, a time share.

And you bought two timeshares .... now just WHO is the stupid one.

R P.
Feb 23, 2012

seems two companies are working together Direct Transfers and Perferred Transfers. according to Direct transfers they are in Moon City CA but phone number has an area code of Washington state. Perferred transfers is located in washington state also. I fell for their scam and gave them 2500. They send transfer docs to timshare company but they rejected what was sent due to not being able to confirm person to whom they were saying is to be the new owner of my timeshare. i have called them daily to find out where they are in correcting their issue. Perferred transfers is now say they are waiting for timeshare company to tell them what to do to correct PT issue.

STAY AWAY FROM DIRECT TRANSFERS AND PERFERRED TRANSFERS THEY ARE SCAMMERS.

Richard L.
Jun 16, 2012

Where to start. I am a past employee of this company. I quit because of its dishonesty. There are several business's that are involved here.

Summit marketing Prefered transfers Great timeshare bargains We collect timeshares Vacation choices Travlers prefered

You will find locations for theese companies in many states but if you research you will find the addresses are PO boxes.

Theese companies are all owned by jonathan and Christine Gibbs. The company's all work off of each other. Many send out flyeres offering a "complamentaiy" trip or gift. These are NOT free. You have to pay many different fees taxes and such not to mention you have to jump thru many hoops and if you miss one setp you do not get your gift.

There are three different motives for the companies four if you count the name changes (trying to keep people off their sent).

1. Convince you that you were stupid for ever buying a timeshare that is now worthless. They then convince you to pay to get out of It. You pay them money and they get your timeshare.

2. The then sell your "worthless timeshare" either to a private party or back to the resort.

3. This is their vacation companies. The convince you to send thousands of dollars for a membership to a travel club so you can save money. After getting home you find out the savings are not all their cracked up to be. You however signed a contract that has a 3 day buyers remorse clause. In your contract it tells you to fill out the attached cancelation form for a refund. The problem is the forms are rarely provided and by the time you figure it out you are locked in and out thousands of dollars.

There is just to much to list. However on a side note. The company has been caught in two states Georgia and Vermont. The compan will not do business there. They claim it's because they do not have the Proper licensing but it is because the attorney general of thowe states got involved and filed a lawsuit. The company had to reimburse the clients.

Signed

Ex employee

Anon U.
Jul 27, 2012

I too am a previous employee of Preferred Transfers (or whatever they are currently calling themselves). I worked in the accounting department. I also found their business practices to be quite dishonest, and there were several shady financial transactions that I came across. I know of two seperate occasions where a single timeshare was re-sold on E-bay to multiple buyers (one was sold 3 times!). On top of that they treat their employees absolutely HORRIBLY. It was by far the worst company I have ever worked for.

Malissa H.

Last edited by malissah3 on Jul 27, 2012 02:47 PM

Jan 05, 2013

Vacation Choices & Leisure Compass is the same company. I worked for this company and know Jonathan Gibbs, Christine Gibbs. And the company send out 2 Round Trip Airfares, 2 Round trip Cruises, Hotel stays, ipad etc. ** This is a warning not to call the phone number on the postcard ** If you call on the phone number and you hear Vacation Choices and/or Leisure Compass hang up. I'll give you 3 reasons not to call or hang up.

1. The company looks for people who want to sell their timeshare and want to trade them in for an over priced travel club membership. Warning; don't do it, you end up paying them for your timeshare and you pay for a travel club that doesn't save money.

2. Warning; The travel club membership is not as advertised at the seminars, the price savings (travel reservation savings) sales reps promised are inaccurate. In fact, Vacation Choices & Leisure Compass reservations/ travel arrangements (in Lacey, WA) is runned by a 3rd party company in Florida and the price savings sales reps promised. (ie if you call the number and say your a member and want to book a vacation they will give you a different 800 number)

3. I worked at Vacation Choices / Leisure Compass and I know the scam and the truth of the company. Don't chase after fools gold and save yourself the stress.

Here's Vacation Choices address under the umbrella Summit Marketing;

Summit Marketing 612 Woodland Square Loop Lacey, WA 98503

Below is a KATU news report on one of Vacation Choices victims.

http://www.katu.com/news/problemsolver/Travel-club-Vacation-Choices-racks-up-complaints-163804706.html

Rob A.

Last edited by phyl21 on Dec 21, 2015 04:25 PM

Jun 06, 2013

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2021135533_timesharescamxml.html

Secret S.
Nov 03, 2013

There are a lot of timeshare scams out there. Many timeshares themselves are fraudulent operations. I owned a timeshare at The Manhattan Club in New York. I paid $30,000 for the timeshare and, of course, the annual maintenance fees which kept rising. The timeshare company oversold the timeshares, and it became impossible to get time. So I went to a timeshare broker to sell it. Guess what? No buyers. Finally I turned the whole matter over to my attorney who got my timeshare deeded back in a month. If anyone is in this type of situation, I would be happy to share my attorney's contact information. Just e-mail me at jockwood@hotmail.com

John B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.