Timeshare Exchanges

Selling your Interval Weeks

Feb 16, 2009

Has anyone ever "sold" or "assigned" your banked Interval Weeks through either Red Week or some other medium? I heard somewhere that it is not allowed, however, Interval told me you can do it and assign to someone else for $39 but not recommended since you are the owner. We were unable to use or sell our Marriott unit last year in Aruba and were forced to turn it in. Would like to try and sell one of the two weeks since we don't have that much vacation time.

Recommendations, Advice?

Nancy L.
Feb 16, 2009

nancyl165 wrote:
Has anyone ever "sold" or "assigned" your banked Interval Weeks through either Red Week or some other medium? I heard somewhere that it is not allowed, however, Interval told me you can do it and assign to someone else for $39 but not recommended since you are the owner. We were unable to use or sell our Marriott unit last year in Aruba and were forced to turn it in. Would like to try and sell one of the two weeks since we don't have that much vacation time.

Recommendations, Advice?

Interval International does not permit the "renting" of weeks obtained in an exchange. They will permit the reassigning of the week to someone else via a guest certificate. If II discovers you renting an exchange, the reservation could, and probably will, be cancelled and you may lose your membership.

People are cautioned in the various forums to be careful that they are NOT renting a exchange from someone else.

I would suggest that you find a friend, family member, or co-worker who might want to take a vacation and then negotiate any compensation directly with that person. While you can't technically rent it, maybe the other person could give you a "really nice birthday present" ;).

Mike N.
Feb 17, 2009

It's against II and RCI rules to sell banked weeks.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 17, 2009 08:28 AM

Apr 20, 2009

And strictly against DAE rules too.

David D.
Jun 15, 2009

As an owner of one week with II, can I sell on my own an UNBANKED week (2009) if my maintenance fee is paid for that year?

I have one week banked for 2008. Can I do an exchange on my own with another person, or a TS organization who may not be II members?

This is so confusing, and try an get straight answers from II is somewhat difficult.

Thanks for any help you can give. BJ

Brenda J.

Last edited by brendaj85 on Jun 15, 2009 06:47 AM

Jun 15, 2009

brendaj85 wrote:
As an owner of one week with II, can I sell on my own an UNBANKED week (2009) if my maintenance fee is paid for that year?

I have one week banked for 2008. Can I do an exchange on my own with another person, or a TS organization who may not be II members?

This is so confusing, and try an get straight answers from II is somewhat difficult.

Thanks for any help you can give. BJ

Brenda if you have already banked your 2008 week with II then it belongs to II and most likely already given out to another party so answer is NO!

Second if I'm understanding your question you want to sell a II week. First is II doesn't own timeshares they are just one of the top exchange companies so I think you mean rent the week not sell. If this is true you can do anything you want as longs as you have not deposited your week with II.

As with any exchange company once you give the years use to them it is no longer yours. This is why we never deposit with II but do a request first. With request first your unit is on their books but not deposited until they come up with one of your choices. Up to thispoint a owner can pull their unit back and use it.

Hope this helps! PHIL

Phil L.
Jun 15, 2009

brendaj85 wrote:

Yes, if it hasn't been banked.

Quote:

No, II now owns your banked week.

R P.
Jun 15, 2009

brendaj85 wrote:
While you cannot get your week back from II to exchange with another person, the best you could do in this situation would be to arrange an exchange then book the week with II, and get a guest certificate for that person to use the week. You would be responsible for the exchange fee and the cost of the guest certificate.

Mike N.
Dec 15, 2022

I have multiple companies calling me at the end of this year trying to buy my 6 weeks that can be shared to friends and family. Is this legal to sell. Of course they are offering me $1400 per week

Cynthia G.
Dec 16, 2022

cynthiag333 wrote:
I have multiple companies calling me at the end of this year trying to buy my 6 weeks that can be shared to friends and family. Is this legal to sell. Of course they are offering me $1400 per week

This is a common scam. You do not own any Interval weeks to sell. If you obtained these weeks via exchange through Interval, then you can not sell or rent them out.

Also, the fact that these companies are calling you out of the blue is also a likely indication of a scam.

Lance C.
Feb 16, 2024

I was told by someone that he is listing on vrbo, hotel rooms that are on interval (not using his points) After a person buys from him on vrbo he then buys on interval with cash and transfers their name to the purchase. Is this legal?

Michelle M.

Last edited by michellem1054 on Feb 16, 2024 10:19 AM

Feb 17, 2024

michellem1054 wrote:
I was told by someone that he is listing on vrbo, hotel rooms that are on interval (not using his points) After a person buys from him on vrbo he then buys on interval with cash and transfers their name to the purchase. Is this legal?

This post makes no sense at all. For starters, Interval does not have any "hotel rooms". Interval offers timeshare weeks deposited "for exchange" by and for their members. Secondly, the only product a II member could "buy on Interval with cash" is a "Getaway" -- and Getaways are weeks that cannot be rented out to someone else once acquired. I cannot even begin to imagine how vrbo could possibly fit into this very puzzling fairy tale.

I get a headache just reading through this very confused post, whose described scenario completely escapes my comprehension. Sorry, but I suspect that someone just simply does not have their facts at all straight or correct here.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 06, 2024 06:30 AM

Mar 11, 2024

You make a good point, it's forbidden

Joshua M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.