General Discussion

traveling by car during christmas break...any tips?

Jun 01, 2009

Hi, we are thinking about renting a timeshare during winter break this year. We have two young kids, so doing the 1000+ mile trek straight thru is not an option. Due to the way christmas falls this year, most timeshare weeks either start, or end, on christmas day. Any tips for traveling with two kids in tow on a day (xmas eve and day) where most everything is closed? We are coming from OH, traveling straight town 75 into FL.

Thanks in advance

Laura C

Laura C.
Jun 01, 2009

laurac260 wrote:
Hi, we are thinking about renting a timeshare during winter break this year. We have two young kids, so doing the 1000+ mile trek straight thru is not an option. Due to the way christmas falls this year, most timeshare weeks either start, or end, on christmas day. Any tips for traveling with two kids in tow on a day (xmas eve and day) where most everything is closed? We are coming from OH, traveling straight town 75 into FL.

Thanks in advance

Laura C

How about a separate DVD Player for each child and a lot of movies.

Were you planning on leaving OHIO on the morning of the 24th and arriving on FL on the 25th, or were you planning a short break during the trip?

Mike N.
Jun 01, 2009

laurac260 wrote:

Thanks in advance

Laura C

Most restuarants are closed on Christmas day and many on Christmas Eve except for "some" the short order places like Waffle Kings, Waffle Houses etc.

Unless you want to pack something to eat on the trip to Florida, you'll have to look very closely for any restaurants that may be open before exiting ..... also some truckstop restaurants may be open.

It may be a little crowded on I 75 Christmas Eve, but we've found that Christmas day the traffic is much lighter.

BTW, I see that Christmas is on a Fri this year. Have you checked for timeshares that have check-in days for Sat or Sun (the 26th and 27th)?

Whatever you decide, have fun on your trip.

R P.
Jun 18, 2009

#l forget the Car,during Xmas, with the kids take Amtrak,its safer and more sane. just go to RCI.com and pick what sounds good as long as it has at least 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms.

Charles K.
Jun 18, 2009

the train? Seriously? I've never even considered traveling by train. I guess that's not a midwestern thing. I'd travel by air (though not during the holidays), but by train with 2 kids? A car ride is long enough, but atleast I can stop when I need to. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Laura C.
Jun 18, 2009

actually, at the time I typed this message we would have been driving the 24th and 25th. But since, I've found a timeshare that let's us check in on the 20th and check out the 27th, so we won't have to travel during christmas day after all.

Laura C.
Jun 19, 2009

laurac260 wrote:
actually, at the time I typed this message we would have been driving the 24th and 25th. But since, I've found a timeshare that let's us check in on the 20th and check out the 27th, so we won't have to travel during christmas day after all.

Good for you ..... have fun and a Merry Christmas 2009 to you !

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.