Timeshare Exchanges

1 in 4 Rule - Any opinions - Makes me angry

Jun 26, 2009

Does anyone have problems with this rule in either RCI or Red Week??

Vicki M.
Jun 27, 2009

I really don't have any problem with it. It prevents someone from owning a non-rated resort exchanging into the same gold crown resort or the same very popular resort (supply and demand) every year. The 1 in 4 rule is more than likely a resort policy enforced by the exchange companies.

R P.
Jul 06, 2009

I don't like it because it serves developers, making sure they get new bodies. But I do see JJ's point from an owner perspective.

Doesn't make me mad, tho, because I want to go everywhere once, not the same place repeatedly.

Vicki Y.
Jul 07, 2009

vicki296 wrote:
I don't like it because it serves developers, making sure they get new bodies. But I do see JJ's point from an owner perspective.

Doesn't make me mad, tho, because I want to go everywhere once, not the same place repeatedly.

There are more restrictive policies, such as the one where an owner cannot exchange into a different TS in the same area.

Mike N.
Jul 07, 2009

Very good point! The Regional Block! I do think that protects the owners from wild tradeups from those owning subpar resorts in the overbuilt areas. That rule says, IMO, "If you want to stay in a nice resort in (insert location with regional block) then buy a nice resort there".

Vicki Y.
Jul 07, 2009

Yes, I do! I own 4 Gold Crown Red Weeks in tropical areas so my units are not 'subpar.' I enjoy going to the Mayan Riviera, south of Cancun. All of the resorts there are AI Mandatory except the Mayan Palace and they have the 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 rule, not sure which. What bothers me even more than the 1 in 4 rule is the AI Mandatory. When I travel there, I don't stay on property every day; I like to explore and am gone for 12 hours most days. When I stay on property, AI is fine. El Cid initially was AI Optional, which was great. We used it some days but not all. It's almost impossible to stay on the Mayan Riviera now unless you want to go AI. With today's economy, many people don't want to spend $100+/day when they can eat locally.

Mary P.
Jul 12, 2009

I think the 1in 4 rule is absolutely fair. I have always felt the if you like a resort so much you want to go there that often, you should BUY IT! I exchanged to a "1 in 4" in May. Yes I'd love to go back some day-and I will. If I want to go sooner than I'm allowed, I'll consider buying.

Dave J.
Jul 12, 2009

davvej wrote:
I think the 1in 4 rule is absolutely fair. I have always felt the if you like a resort so much you want to go there that often, you should BUY IT! I exchanged to a "1 in 4" in May. Yes I'd love to go back some day-and I will. If I want to go sooner than I'm allowed, I'll consider buying.

I totally agree with davve on this! There would be buyers getting a less expensive timeshare in the same area just to trade up every year. If the person likes this resort so much they should buy a unit there!

I think it is nice that someone could make this type of a exchange even one time so rule is very fair. This does give others a chance to see how nice a resort might be and want to buy a unit if this is the resort they really want.

PHILL12

Phil L.
Sep 03, 2012

ad me wth u

Govind P.
Jan 01, 2023

I own a gold crown, 2 bed, lock out ocean front in West Palm beach. I should be allowed to exchange where ever, when ever, if there’s availability. That’s the whole purpose of banking a unit. RCI was not like this before. I’ve been many places during my 20 yrs of ownership but now it’s terrible.

Elaine F.
Oct 16, 2023

We like the Riviera Maya area in Mexico, but there is only one hotel there that does not require AI. And this one has 1 in 4! (I'm sure their very aggressive sales staff craves new bodies each year.) AI just doesn't suit our travel style and is very expensive. (What if we plan to be off the resort frequently and when present we don't want to include, for example, calculated costs for alcohol we won't consume.) Our eventual solution has worked very well: We rent a lock-off from an owner thru Redweek rental postings! No AI to deal with and we have not encountered any 1 in 4. There are usually some offerings at various resorts in studios or one bedrooms which suit us and owners are happy to offer reasonable prices. This tends to solve our problems temporarily but I feel we should not be stopped from using our timeshare trading power freely, and should not be forced into these alternative solutions because of AI or 1 in 4 pervasive situations at the Mexican resorts.

Karen M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.