Kaanapali Beach Club

2010 Owners Association Meeting

Oct 19, 2009

This is scheduled for Feb 26, 2010. Time not yet given but expect announcements to be mailed in January. Usually in the afternoon.

Randy C.
Jan 31, 2010

With the resignation of Bill Burns, we now need to elect two representatives to our boards to see that Kaanapali Beach Club is managed in our best interest. Bill Burns was genuine and was trying against some very big odds, to achieve some real say-so on the board of directors on behalf of the owners. It is imperative that we work together if we are to every have a voice in the management of our resort. The first step right now is to turn in our proxy ballots by the deadline which is 11:59:59 p.m. EST on Feb. 22, 2010. Ideally we should collectively decide who we want to represent us on the VOA board and the AOAO board. Two positions on each board are up for election. I have a substantial finacial interest in Kaanapali Beach Club as an owner of numerous weeks. I want to protect that interest. The only way we can achieve a voice is to agree on who we want to serve on the board. If we all vote for different candidates, we will accomplish nothing. Losing Bill Burns meant we took a big step backwards. As you have noticed, we have heard nothing from anyone since he resigned due to health reasons. As I read through all of the candidates, two stuck out to me as two who would work hard to see that we have a say on the board. I suggest that we vote for Kristen Kirkpatrick and Lawrence Woodford. I honestly do not know them from Adam, but they sound like two people that would represent my interests. If you have other opinions, feel free to share them. Let's work together and try to equalize the situation. Above all, DO NOT SEND IN YOUR BLANK PROXY!!!! Please fill it out and vote for who you think will do a good job represening us. If you send it in blank, you will no doubt be electing another Diamond Resorts employee.

Gary B.
Feb 17, 2010

I will be sending in my E ballot with these two names checked. I agree with your assesment, we need some kind of organization among ourselves. I checked this site looking for some kind of owners information, it would be nice if others would do the same, but I do not know how many owners know about it. I think it would be good if you can get the mailing list from Bill and at least let other owners know where to look for guidance. We really need some actual "owner" representation on the board. Thanks for your attempt to help it happen. B & R Bluhm

Brien B.
Feb 28, 2010

Hi I just found this website and wanted to vote but my proxy came in too late. I am frustrated that we did not get enough notice. I am going to sign up for the email proxy for the next time. As for Bill Burns, although I have never met him I wish him the best. He was great at keeping everyone informed and had the best interest of the owners in mind. He has had personal health issues and I hope he is doing well. It would be great if we could get Bill's owner list with all the emails so we can all communicate. We do need more owners on the board that is the only way things will balance out and be fair.

Veronica M.
Mar 02, 2010

Hi, has anyone heard anything regarding the Board meeting or the Election? I do hope we are making progress in reaching owners and encouraging them to be proactive with all of our efforts in making our timeshare investment at KBC the best it can be.

Deborah G.
Dec 29, 2010

VOTE FOR KRISTEN KIRPATRICK

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 02:34 PM

Dec 30, 2010

First, Woodford ran in 2010 and is not running in 2011. For the Jan 14 2011 meeting the other threads are recommending Kristen Kirkpatrick Ron Wade

Your vote must be received by Jan 12 2011, and it is highly recommended you name a specific person whom you know will attend the meeting as your proxy. If your proxy doesn't attend, your vote is only used to establish a quorum and will not be included in the vote. You can name the board as your proxy by leaving the prophecy info blank and they are supposed to vote you vote as you directed.

Beck
Jan 02, 2011

Peterp151

While you are correct regarding Mr. Woodford not on the ballot, the proxy information was inaccurate.

According to the ballot I received

Quote--...If you leave it blank the Board of Directors of the association will be designated as your proxy holder. Proxies are only valid for tabulating representation for a quorum and items of business presented at the annual meeting. --end quote

(Paragraph 2 of December 14, 2010 annual meeting notice and ballot)

Regardless of your proxy holder your vote must be counted as marked. If you choose to allow the board to be your proxy either by choice or by leaving the proxy field blank and you also vote for your candidates that is how your vote must be cast. However if you do not choose the candidates then your proxy holder will vote in your absence for whomever they want.

If you know someone non DRI that will be in attendance please share. I put Kristen Kirkpatrick, I do not know if she will be in attendance but I also placed my votes as recommended above.

VOA (2 Candidates) Ron Wade Kristen Kirkpatrick

AOAO (1 candidate) Kirsten Kirkpatrick

Regards,

CVO

Vacation O.

Last edited by vacationo on Jan 02, 2011 07:10 PM

Jan 02, 2011

I'm sure you'll be fine by leaving the proxy name blank, the BOD will undoubtably vote as your proxy as you direct.

However, the document you reference doesn't state what you wrote quite the way you wrote it.

Paragraph two says if you name a proxy and your proxy isn't at the meeting then your vote will not be counted, but your ballot will still be included to establish a quorum. Paragraph one says if you don't name a proxy, the board will be your proxy.

There are two reasons I recommend naming a proxy other than the default. First, I admit I'm a little paranoid about timeshare companies and boards, and legalese which enables them to interpret documents to their advantage. What concerns me about voting documents are words such as "... with full power of substitution ..." and "... full power to act for me ...". While some people have disagreed with me especially on Marriott ballots where additional words such as "as though I were present" or other additional qualifying info, I submit that any document with words using "full power" provide an entity the ability to change your vote. As such I prefer to name an owner with no business or employment relationship with the developer as my proxy when possible, If I know they will be attending. Second, I feel owners have more clout when addressing boards when they have the specific voting power large enough to exert pressure while attending meetings. I've attended a few now, and while a lot of lip service flies around about how much owners are important and appreciated, the structure of the meetings were subtly clear to me that we were impediments to be pacified and cleared out in a polite but structured manner. It would be nice for an owner our group of owners to attend a meeting with enough votes to affect the outcome of the meeting, and be present to met with board members so the board understands owners are properly organized and focused to the point boards must be more sensitive to owner input.

Beck
Jan 03, 2011

Thanks for correcting the candidates names that are recommended: VOA Kristen Kirkpatrick & Ron Wade AOAO Kristen Kirkpatrick

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 02:35 PM

Jan 08, 2011

Thanks for the info, we do have to keep the lines of communication open on all owner topics, this is the only way to make sure we are not taken advantage of which always results in higher fees. I went to the website listed above and registered. Again, thank you for setting this up. This makes it easy for owners to stay on top of things. v

Veronica M.
Jan 08, 2011

I will be present at the meeting Don't forget to vote. Mahalo

Keith P.

Last edited by kpaul5257 on Jan 29, 2012 02:34 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.