Timeshare Companies

Marion Griffin, Thomas Verner are scammers

Aug 28, 2010

Marion Griffin and Thomas Verner had timeshares listed for rent. They are not legitimate. Do not fall for their scams.

Vicki W.
Aug 30, 2010

starseeker wrote:
Marion Griffin and Thomas Verner had timeshares listed for rent. They are not legitimate. Do not fall for their scams.

Can you be a bit more specific and informative, so that others might better understand and benefit from what you are alleging ?

It's difficult to interpret just what you mean by "scams" when you have provided no further meaningful information beyond posting a couple of names...

Also, you should contact RedWeek staff directly if you believe there are advertising scammers on RedWeek. Merely dropping two names here in the Forums, with no further details, won't necessarily make RedWeek staff (or anyone else here) aware of the details and nature of these alleged "scams".

KC
Aug 30, 2010

They have listed a timeshare for rent on Redweek at the Maui Marriott Ocean Club. We made a deal, I wired them 25% of the money in June, and they will now not return my emails. Redweek contacted me about them being scammers, so they already know. I have sent Redweek all my communications that I have had with them.

Vicki W.
Aug 30, 2010

It would really be a service to all Redweek members if Redweek would post a list of verified scammers so that members would know for future reference.

R P.
Oct 02, 2010

It must have been the same timeshare I rented from them in Maui. She was very good at the beginning, even calling me. 8 weeks from the rental date, she quit responding. I notified my credit card company and was refunded my money. Hope you were able to get your money back.

Margaret B.
Oct 03, 2010

Hi Margaret, That's great that you got your money back from your credit card company. I however, used paypal and since I did not find out for a couple of months that it was a scam, I was unable to recover my money.

Vicki W.
Oct 03, 2010

I also used Paypal but I paid Paypal through my credit card rather than my checking account. When I began to suspect that it was a fake listing, and by the way, it was through another timeshare site, not RedWeek, I called Paypal. They told me I was out of luck with the deposit payment made in March but the balance paid in July could be refunded. They suggested I call my credit card company because their disputes are valid for a year if you can prove your dispute. The credit card company told me I would be refunded because both payments were made to the same person so they would be counted as one using the date of the most recent dispute. They immediately put the money back in my account and notified Marion Griffin that her account was being deducted. My sister also rented a timeshare from her and was refunded her money from Paypal.

Margaret

Margaret B.
Oct 04, 2010

Hi Margaret, That is great information. Next time I do a transaction through paypal I will definately use my credit card. Thanks so much.

Vicki W.
Oct 16, 2010

We have a 2 bedroom rented at the Maui Ocean Club in December and have paid 50% down. I have just sent another email to Marion Griffin and was hoping to get a response. After reading this, and suspecting for some time that we were scammed, I intend to start action to get our money back from paypal. And, also find a place to sta

Julie A.

Last edited by julier83 on Oct 16, 2010 01:58 PM

Oct 16, 2010

If I could figure out how to post it free on the web so if someone googled her name, I would do it. She was very good - she called me, left me messages, sent me tons of emails - until 6 weeks before my rental was to take place. I should probably just search some timeshare rental sites and post about her scams because I found her on a different site. Good luck getting your money back.

Margaret B.
Oct 16, 2010

On the rental agreement you got from her, was there a phone number with her name at the bottom? We sent money only to Marion, not Thomas.

Julie A.
Oct 17, 2010

There was a phone number, but it is no longer in service. Didn't mention Thomas Verner at all.

Margaret

Margaret B.
Oct 20, 2010

Two people by the above names ran away with approximately $1000 of our money. Also involved was a woman named Kelly Price, who Marion identified as her daughter. Marion was very personable and accommodating in the beginning, however, after she received our money, the contacts were less frequent. She then reported she had a respiratory disease, which turned into numerous forms of cancers. We now have heard NOTHING from her after running with our money. The timeshare company, Mystic Dunes, said she is no longer employed as a sales rep w/their company. Nice.

Kim H.
Oct 20, 2010

We never spoke w/Thomas, however, his name also appeared on the check she sent us for $595 that bounced. The other check we never cashed and never received the rest of the money Marion owed us. No word from her daughter, Kelly either.

Kim H.
Oct 20, 2010

The story we got from Marion Griffin was that she would be tra veling in Europe for an extended period. Then she had to go to London because her father was ill. Then her sister emailed that the father had died and Marion was too upset to contact anyone about their timeshares. Of course that was the last time we heard from her. I did find a listing on Wikopedia today that said a Windamere Lawn Service LLC was owned by Thomas Verneer and his agent was marion Griffin. I also found attached to that site, a relative by the name of Cynthia Griffin. Was the check you got from Thomas from Windemere Florida?

Julie A.
Oct 20, 2010

I had a few minutes tonight and did a search. Their names haven't popped up on more than one website; however, it appears that we may be able to file an internet crime complaint through consumerfraudreporting.org. Hope you all kept your paperwork. I figure I have nothing to lose. She must know that people are on to her though since my credit card company yanked $1,000 out of her account and my sister's credit card company charged her account back another $600.

Margaret B.
Oct 21, 2010

julier83 wrote:
I did find a listing on Wikopedia today that said a Windamere Lawn Service LLC was owned by Thomas Verneer and his agent was marion Griffin. I also found attached to that site, a relative by the name of Cynthia Griffin. Was the check you got from Thomas from Windemere Florida?

Seems to be too much of a coincidence that both names appeared for the lawn service, although in your post above you spelled Thomas Veneer instead of Thomas Verner .... was that a typo?

There are many agencies that you can report fraud/scams to ..... just Google or Bing to find such agencies.

R P.
Oct 21, 2010

julier83 wrote:
The story we got from Marion Griffin was that she would be tra veling in Europe for an extended period. Then she had to go to London because her father was ill. Then her sister emailed that the father had died and Marion was too upset to contact anyone about their timeshares. Of course that was the last time we heard from her.

There is no end to the maladies/illnesses these scammers will come up with.

R P.
Oct 22, 2010

Yes it was a typo. I looked again last night and finally found a phone number for the lawn service. Of course, when I called it was disconnected. I did file several crime reports and am filing a report with the Windermere police department. There is a Thomas Verner and also a Marion Griffin in the Windermere phone directory, but phone numbers are not listed.

Julie A.
Oct 22, 2010

Also be sure to file a complaint with the attorney general of Florida ..... you can do it online.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.