Jan 25, 2013

I am wondering if a timeshare can be rented mid-week (Wed to Wed) rather than a weekend? I can't get reasonably priced flights on Sat/Sun.

Sandy C.

Last edited by sandyc197 on Jan 25, 2013 11:00 AM

Jan 25, 2013

It depends on the resort. Some have mid week check ins. You have to inquire each one seperately.

Don P.
Jan 26, 2013

sandyc197 wrote:
I am wondering if a timeshare can be rented mid-week (Wed to Wed) rather than a weekend? I can't get reasonably priced flights on Sat/Sun.

Deeded weeks can't be rented mid week ..... they are Fri or Sat or Sun check-in ..... I'm not sure if points owners or renters could check-in mid week.

R P.
Feb 04, 2013

I want to rent my time share. Do you recommend Pay Pal or another method for receiving payment?

Jim D.
Feb 04, 2013

jimd452 wrote:
I want to rent my time share. Do you recommend Pay Pal or another method for receiving payment?

Paypal is usually recommended because the renter has to have a valid credit card which he will need when he checks in.

Also, there's the matter of filing disputes if a dispute arises.

Lance C.
Feb 13, 2013

I have several weeks to get rid of before they expire and want to how to go about renting them. All the legal battle so I'm not obligated for some one tearing things up.It all setting in space bank with RCI. These are weeks.

Rodney T.

Last edited by rodney195 on Feb 13, 2013 12:48 PM

Feb 13, 2013

Most off your points places can go flex and weeks go SUN to Sun or Sat -SAT

Rodney T.
Feb 13, 2013

rodney195 wrote:
I have several weeks to get rid of before they expire and want to how to go about renting them. All the legal battle so I'm not obligated for some one tearing things up.It all setting in space bank with RCI. These are weeks.

I'm a little unclear. Do you mean that you deposited your weeks into RCI? If so, then those weeks now belong to RCI. You cannot rent them out. Nor can you rent out a week you acquired by means of an RCI exchange. If you try to do so and get caught, there will be some ugly consequences.

If you figure you need a little more time to use them, then RCI (for a fee) will let you extend your deposit.

Lance C.
Mar 13, 2013

Thanks Jay for responding to this person. I am on the opposite side of the house. I just received my first offer to rent my redweek posting and an afraid of being scammed after having that happen with aw "sale."

I am a Landlord in real life but find this process a bit daunting. I always buy renters insurance when we travel and am wondering your idea on collecting full payment with no cancellation refund and let them handle that through personal renters insurance?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

jayjay wrote:
eliseh21 wrote:
We are first time renters and after reading all of the advice in these forums I called the Aruba Marriott to confirm if the renters are true owners and was told that they can not disclose that information to me. Obviously getting a written rental agreement in place should help, but I do not feel comfortable just sending a check to a total stranger. If we use PayPal, I believe we can report to PayPal if we are scammed and get our money back, does anyone know if this is correct? Thought this may be less costly than using an escrow account.

Many resorts/brands do not disclose personal info such as ownership, however if you use a rental agreement then you should feel more comfortable with the rental. I would never just send a check without some form of agreement either, however if you want to make 100% sure that the owners own the week then escrow is the way to go for peace of mind, especially if there's a lot of money involved. I wouldn't think an Aruba Marriott would be a cheap rental.

If you're thinking of using PayPal then I would research their policies concerning rentals.

Heidi J.
Mar 14, 2013

heidij54 wrote:
Thanks Jay for responding to this person. I am on the opposite side of the house. I just received my first offer to rent my redweek posting and an afraid of being scammed after having that happen with aw "sale."

I am a Landlord in real life but find this process a bit daunting. I always buy renters insurance when we travel and am wondering your idea on collecting full payment with no cancellation refund and let them handle that through personal renters insurance?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

You'll need a timeshare rental agreement signed by both you and the renter .... you can 'search forums' for such. As far as collecting full payment with no cancellation .... that's up to you .... the rental agreements are samples .... you can alter them anyway you wish.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 14, 2013 07:25 AM

Mar 14, 2013

Thanks so much for your help.

Heidi J.
Apr 30, 2013

Has anyone rented a timeshare from Bill Fraser @ Wyndham Bonnet Creek - Lake Buena Vista FL?

Nancy L.
May 07, 2013

This is my first time renting a timeshare. Why am I being told by owners that they don't want to use PayPal?

Debbie S.
May 08, 2013

There are some scam renters that rent a week and then go on the vacation and then claim the unit was not as advertised and dispute the charge with paypal and their CC company or just don't show up even though the agreement stipulated no refunds and the CC co will reverse the charges. There is no protection for the owners. The CC company almost always sides with the renter. There are also additional charges 2-3% that some owners may not like. If the person renting knows that they have a unit that others may want they may opt to wait for someone will to pay with a check upfront and suggest renters insurance.

Tracey S.
May 08, 2013

debbies424 wrote:
This is my first time renting a timeshare. Why am I being told by owners that they don't want to use PayPal?

PayPal can be confusing if you're not familiar with it .... also I've never been able to talk to a live person there .... all disputes are handled exclusively via the internet and is time consuming.

You should be fine if there's a rental agreement in place stipulating the terms of the rental (you can find sample rental agreements by searching forums) in merely taking a credit card or check.

R P.
Jun 06, 2013

I am interested in renting a timeshare listed on this site. Do most people use the escrow service? I had one owner tell me to send the check in full and then he would put the reservation in my name. We are a bit more cautious than that. Any advice on how to go about a transaction is greatly appreciated.

Julie C.
Jun 06, 2013

kathyv27 wrote:
If i book this popular week at a resort using my points. Is the resort going to allow someone other than myself to stay at the resort using this reservation without me having to purchase a guest certificate through RCI. Thats what I am trying to do is minimize my costs. I will automatically have to pay 159.99 for the transaction fee and I was trying to think of a way to avoid the Guest Certificate fee.

Did you deposit your points with RCI and are looking for an exchange to rent out .... if so, rentals of deposited and exchanged weeks are not allowed with RCI. The guest certificate is for gifts to friends and/or family and you can't make a profit from such ..... the only reimbursement to you (from your family member or friend) would be the exchange fee and guest certificate fee.

However, if RCI is not involved in any way (it's not a deposit and exchange) then you can book the week at any RCI points resort you so choose and rent it out. At least that's the way I see it .... the key words here are deposited and exchanged.

R P.
Jun 06, 2013

juliec338 wrote:
I am interested in renting a timeshare listed on this site. Do most people use the escrow service? I had one owner tell me to send the check in full and then he would put the reservation in my name. We are a bit more cautious than that. Any advice on how to go about a transaction is greatly appreciated.

I would not send any money until a contract was in place signed by both the owner and you ..... the contract should stipulate the terms of the rental ..... some owners ask for entire rent sent along with the signed (by you) contract .... some owners ask for a deposit with the balance paid a certain amount of time before the check-in date .... you can search forums for sample rental contracts.

As for escrow, that's a personal decision that you would have to make depending on your gut feeling concerning communication with the owner.

R P.
Jun 24, 2013

As an owner trying to rent my timeshare I can tell you that, according to Sheraton Vistana Resorts, they will not disclose whether or not someone is an owner. Therefore, I was told that I would need to provide them (Vistana) with the renter's name and info. The renter would then be able to call Vistana and confirm that there is a reservation in their name.

ken1193 wrote:
geraldinec22 wrote:
When do you pay the person you are renting from? Can you just pay a deposit when you sign the rental agreement? Is it safe to pay by check when all you have is a rental agreement?
Before paying anyone a CENT, you should FIRST confirm for yourself (directly with the resort involved) that the "would-be landlord" actually OWNS the week in the first place. You don't want to get caught up in someone trying to rent out something they obtained from an exchange company, which is a prohibited practice and which could potentially leave leave you with NOTHING to occupy and your money GONE.

Once you are convinced that the "landlord" is indeed the actual owner of the week being rented out, it is not uncommon for a rental agreement to require a 50% (non-refundable) deposit with the signed rental agreement and the reservation transferred into the renter's name only upon owner receipt of the remaining 50% due. Different rentalm agreements can (and often do) specifiy different terms, however.

Michele F.
Jan 31, 2014

I am looking into one if his rentals, did you ever wind up renting from him?

Anne V.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.