General Discussion

Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

May 19, 2012

Trust me, if you are happy doing what you have been, you don't need anything else. Only about 25% of owners have converted and II still has plenty of inventory. If you want/need more time or place look into a cheeeeep Marriott resale.

To give you an idea how overpriced their points are, I own two 1br units at the Maui Ocean Club for which I paid $19,500 in the early 90,s. you need 3100 points which will cost you $34,000 to stay there. If I could get $!5,000 for both, I would jump at it. Marriott is offering to buy them back for their trust For, WAIT NOW, $3000. I am thinking it over. NOT

Please don't listen to me, I am the TROUBLE MAKER. Dennis will be able to tell you why this is actually a good deal for you. He has his own subject for satisfied owners. There's about 4 of them.

Bob P.
May 19, 2012

Thanks so much! I just don't want to make the wrong decision. We really don't have $20 to $30 k to throw at this right now, but I don't want to loose out. I just want to have the ability to continue doing exactly what we have been, but she made it seem like that would no longer be possible. So frustrating! I consider myself fairly smart. I made it through college and I am a CPA with a successful career if the financial services industry and this lady made me feel like an idiot. Maybe I just didn't have my head on straight that day, but it seemed like the story kept changing every time I asked a probing or clarifying question. I have been an auditor my entire career - I ask questions for a living! It wasn't until the last 15 minutes of the presentation that I finally understood that if we bought in we would have 2 different kinds of points. I still can't say I completely understand any of it. Maybe it is a good program and they just can't articulate it??? Is there a place where I can study up? Something official from Marriott? Maybe I old fashioned but I like the idea of knowing that I own something at a particular location. And I like meeting other owners while traveling and hearing where they own. What will that conversation sound like in the future? 'Well I own x number of points' that sounds exciting! But maybe instead we can just all write postings like this from our hot tubs. Lol - why would she say that anyway? So back to the point if we buy in do we give up our location? It is pretty bad that I still don't understand something this basic after a 2 hour sales pitch. Thanks again. Sorry about all the type I in my first post. My autocorrect was turned off and I didn't realize it. It sounds like we had to decide before June. Is that true? Does anyone understand what is cjang

Tracey F.
May 19, 2012

Thanks so much! I just don't want to make the wrong decision. We really don't have $20 to $30 k to throw at this right now, but I don't want to loose out. I just want to have the ability to continue doing exactly what we have been, but she made it seem like that would no longer be possible. So frustrating! I consider myself fairly smart. I made it through college and I am a CPA with a successful career if the financial services industry and this lady made me feel like an idiot. Maybe I just didn't have my head on straight that day, but it seemed like the story kept changing every time I asked a probing or clarifying question. I have been an auditor my entire career - I ask questions for a living! It wasn't until the last 15 minutes of the presentation that I finally understood that if we bought in we would have 2 different kinds of points. I still can't say I completely understand any of it. Maybe it is a good program and they just can't articulate it??? Is there a place where I can study up? Something official from Marriott? Maybe I old fashioned but I like the idea of knowing that I own something at a particular location. And I like meeting other owners while traveling and hearing where they own. What will that conversation sound like in the future? 'Well I own x number of points' that sounds exciting! But maybe instead we can just all write postings like this from our hot tubs. Lol - why would she say that anyway? So back to the point if we buy in do we give up our location? It is pretty bad that I still don't understand something this basic after a 2 hour sales pitch. Thanks again. Sorry about all the type I in my first post. My autocorrect was turned off and I didn't realize it. It sounds like we had to decide before June. Is that true? Does anyone understand what is changing in June? Thanks

Tracey F.
May 19, 2012

If you buy into the Legacy Destinations Point program you will continue to have your current options. The Destinations point program allows you to trade in your week for destination points -- and decide each year if you wish to do so. If you own more then one week you may trade them all in, some of them or none each year -- your choice.

However purchasing new Trust Points is a whole different issue and beyone the scope of my understanding of your questions.

J E.
May 19, 2012

Tracey

The change in June is that the cost to enroll your week in Destinations will increase from about $600 to about $2,000. Read on.......

If I were in your shoes and I owned only 1 week in Aruba, I would not buy Dest. Pts but I would consider the following: 1. I would just go about using or trading the 1 week I own. Interval is not going away and Marriott weeks trade very well thru Interval. 2. If I really wanted another week, I would either rent what I want or I would buy a quality week in the secondary market thru Redweek. You could then continue trading, as necessary, thru Interval. 3. If I wanted to get some of the benefits of Destinations, such as using less than a week, I would "enroll" my owned week in Destinations before the June deadline. This would enable participation using points and a lump sum Interval fee for your pre-existing week. However, I'd think long and hard about the benefits of this for 1 week - a purchase in the secondary market could not be enrolled.

Please don't share this with Bob, but I would not buy Dest. Pts as they are too expensive in relation to the value received plus you would need to buy too many to do you any good. Buying an additional week privately or renting is more economical. Incidentally, you can buy Marriott Grand Chateau (Las Vegas) lock off weeks for less than $2,000 - they are all Platinum season (or better) and trade well thru Interval.

The above is only my opinion. I have great respect for the Owner Services personnel and suggest that you consult them rather than the self serving Sales personnel.

Incidentally, I shared your occupation early in my career and then became a Chief Financial Officer, recently retiring after 40+ years.

Dennis

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on May 19, 2012 10:18 PM

May 20, 2012

dennish144 wrote:
Tracey

The change in June is that the cost to enroll your week in Destinations will increase from about $600 to about $2,000. Read on.......

If I were in your shoes and I owned only 1 week in Aruba, I would not buy Dest. Pts but I would consider the following: 1. I would just go about using or trading the 1 week I own. Interval is not going away and Marriott weeks trade very well thru Interval. 2. If I really wanted another week, I would either rent what I want or I would buy a quality week in the secondary market thru Redweek. You could then continue trading, as necessary, thru Interval. 3. If I wanted to get some of the benefits of Destinations, such as using less than a week, I would "enroll" my owned week in Destinations before the June deadline. This would enable participation using points and a lump sum Interval fee for your pre-existing week. However, I'd think long and hard about the benefits of this for 1 week - a purchase in the secondary market could not be enrolled.

Please don't share this with Bob, but I would not buy Dest. Pts as they are too expensive in relation to the value received plus you would need to buy too many to do you any good. Buying an additional week privately or renting is more economical. Incidentally, you can buy Marriott Grand Chateau (Las Vegas) lock off weeks for less than $2,000 - they are all Platinum season (or better) and trade well thru Interval.

The above is only my opinion. I have great respect for the Owner Services personnel and suggest that you consult them rather than the self serving Sales personnel.

Incidentally, I shared your occupation early in my career and then became a Chief Financial Officer, recently retiring after 40+ years.

Dennis

Dennis,

I actually agree with your points (no pun intended) here.

Charles S.
May 20, 2012

traceyf29 wrote:
Thanks so much! I just don't want to make the wrong decision. We really don't have $20 to $30 k to throw at this right now, but I don't want to loose out. I just want to have the ability to continue doing exactly what we have been, but she made it seem like that would no longer be possible. So frustrating! I consider myself fairly smart. I made it through college and I am a CPA with a successful career if the financial services industry and this lady made me feel like an idiot. Maybe I just didn't have my head on straight that day, but it seemed like the story kept changing every time I asked a probing or clarifying question. I have been an auditor my entire career - I ask questions for a living! It wasn't until the last 15 minutes of the presentation that I finally understood that if we bought in we would have 2 different kinds of points. I still can't say I completely understand any of it. Maybe it is a good program and they just can't articulate it??? Is there a place where I can study up? Something official from Marriott? Maybe I old fashioned but I like the idea of knowing that I own something at a particular location. And I like meeting other owners while traveling and hearing where they own. What will that conversation sound like in the future? 'Well I own x number of points' that sounds exciting! But maybe instead we can just all write postings like this from our hot tubs. Lol - why would she say that anyway? So back to the point if we buy in do we give up our location? It is pretty bad that I still don't understand something this basic after a 2 hour sales pitch. Thanks again. Sorry about all the type I in my first post. My autocorrect was turned off and I didn't realize it. It sounds like we had to decide before June. Is that true? Does anyone understand what is cjang

I am not sure if you know this, but the trades with the points are only for Marriott properties. If you don't have a problem with imeshare properties other than Marriott then stay with what you're doing and forget about the new program especially with one week. You don't currently have enough points to really take advantage of the program. Thus, you would have to spend too much money buying those expensive points. Also, there is an annual free to belong to the new program Right now it's $165.

Charles S.
May 22, 2012

Thank you all so much! Very helpful. I really appreaciate it : )

Tracey F.
May 22, 2012

We own 2 weeks at Cyprus Harbour and we had enrolled them in the DC a year ago. We weren't sure if we did the right thing and I was starting to think that we may never convert our week(s) to DC points. But now a scenario has popped up where I think that by the deadline of Sept. 30 this year, I will trade 1 of my 2 legacy weeks for exchange points. My oldest son--if all goes well--will be graduating from law school next May. Since we will certainly make the 13 hour drive to Houston for that, while we are in Texas, we would like to take our vacation right after the graduation. I noticed that for Jan 1-Dec 31, 2012 there is the option in City Explorer to use legacy points to stay at the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter Hotel for 475 points per night. Since one of our weeks is worth 2,500 points, we could stay 5 nights there.

If we used the traditional system, I could turn in my legacy week for an entire 7 days requesting the two II-listed resorts, but then I would be on pins and needles hoping that the only week we want would be offered to us. So to have a guaranteed stay exactly when we need it, I am willing to have 2 fewer days vacation and stay in a hotel room rather than a condo. I may never feel that way again! But for that particular year, I am glad it is a choice I can make since my primary goal is to have my vacation in synch with my son's graduation.

I haven't called Owner Services yet, so I am wondering if this offer will still be available in 2013, since they have a date range that ends 12/31/12. And, if so, I am wondering if the per night charge will remain 475 points. The other San Antonio hotel in City Explorer is 550 points/night and so we would only get 4 nights out of it. That's too few days for what I am turning in. Before I call to see if this will work out for us next year, I am waiting for the law school web site to remove "tentative" from the graduation date!

Elise F.
May 22, 2012

Elise

You didn't mention trading one of your weeks for Marriott Rewards Points (MRP's). Both the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter and the Riverwalk hotels are Category 6 and require 30,000 MRP's per night. However, when we use MRP points for Marriott hotels, we use points for 4 nights and get the 5th night free. I suggest you call Marriott Owner Services and determine the point yield in MRP's for one timeshare week and then compare to your other alternatives. Owner Services personnel will also help you figure out the best deal to meet your needs.

Congratulations on your Son's impending graduation.

Dennis

Den
May 22, 2012

With the deadline looming whether or not to convert to the points system, I have been reading this thread for the last 3 days hoping to understand the program better than the last sales reps attempt at explaining it to me. I own a platinum 2 bed every year OV week at Ko Olina and a platinum 2 bed odd year MV at Ko Olina. According to the Vacation Club website my points would be 4950 and 4025 respectively. We bought the odd year unit to trade on II but so far have been unsuccessful. We live on the west coast and love vacationing in Hawaii. We have been trying to trade to Maui but haven't pulled it off yet. Consequently we have either stayed at the unit or exchanged it for MRP's. We have owned since 2006 and with one exception have stayed at Ko Olina every year for one or two weeks. I have been told that my odd year points are are distributed at 50% every year. So I would have 6,962 points every year to use. I don't know if this is accurate and have not read anyone talking about odd or even year units and their associated points. We are heading to Ko Olina on June 7 and plan on hearing the pitch one more time before making our final decision. I would love to hear from all you seasoned timeshare owners on my situation and what you think makes the most sense for us. Thank you in advance for your comments and help.

Frank K.
May 23, 2012

If you traded in your every other year week for destination ponts you would get the full points the year you can use your week -- not 50% each year. Call Marriott and ask them.

J E.
May 26, 2012

We own a Marriott 2 bd in CA and a non-Marriott 3bd in FL. I have heard that this destination program only covers the Marriott week and not the non-Marriott for the Interval Internation membership they provide under the $165 annual dues. So if you own a Marriott and a non-Marriott you will have to continue to pay Interval $89/yr for a membership to cover your non-Marriott. The destination program will provide a new Interval membership number that can only include your Marriott. This does not make much sense to me but I have talked to a supervisor so confirms that that is their policy. Anyway, finding this out this program does not make sense for us. Just want to make this forum aware that if you are in our situation and you sign up for the destination program, you will have to fork over $165 + $89 per year two have both timeshares covered under Interval.

David S.
May 26, 2012

Dennis and Elise--

The "Stay 4 Nights Get the 5th Night Free" is good at all Marriott Courtyards--which we have found MORE than service our needs! The Courtyard at the Charles de Gaulle Airport is just fabulous--and we also stayed in a Courtyard in both Berlin and Munich that were also top notch! Best bang for your Marriott Reward Points is the 5 night, 120,000 air mile package at a category 4 or 5 star.

Kathy

Kathryn M.
May 26, 2012

Enrollment in Destinations for 1 week owners - Tracey's earlier inquiry

A few months back, we had need for week at Cypress Harbours in Orlando in addition to the one I received by trading a full week thru Interval. I used Dest Pts and received the May 18, 2012 week for 1,725 pts. Considering that our weeks yield 3,000+ Dest pts if deposited, acquiring both Orlando reservations for 3,450 Dest pts (1,725 X 2) would have been a much better deal than giving up a full week thru the Interval trade.

Tracey, you may want to have another look at enrollment before the deadline. Of course, enrollment in Destinations also provides other benefits such as 1 fee for Interval use, reservations for less than a full week, a low pt cost for weekdays versus weekends, etc.

Dennis

Den
May 27, 2012

Hi there. We are owners of Aruba Surf Club (gold) since 2006, 1 week, garden view. We have successfully exchanged since then. We PLANNED Marriott Waiohai, Kauai two years in advance by banking our week for 2009 and with using a week for 2010. It took several months but II came through with a week and were able to secure a second week in the same villa, even though we were willing to move to another. It was a vacation that we wish to repeat for 2014 and were thinking of following the same formula. We are staying at Marriott Timber Lodge this year, can't wait as we leave next weekend! We got the obligatory email "inviting" us to hear the points program sales pitch.

1. First and foremost, should I stick with the formula to get two weeks? 2. Will this point program help me in any way to get us to Waiohai for two weeks? I did their conversion and our week is worth only 2800 or so points and it would take like over 8500! 3. Or should we look at either a) liquidating Aruba and buying a week in Waiohai "used" of course because we think we pretty much saw Aruba after 3x there and we fell in love with Kauai instead. B) purchase a used week in addition to Aruba?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

William

Everything I have been reading, not sure if lightning would strike twice to get us back to Waiohai. Yes, I know I could rent but if I don't have to......

William Z.

Last edited by williamz40 on May 27, 2012 01:39 PM

May 27, 2012

We own five Marriott Atlantic Ocean villas. Four of the five were purchased through Redweek.com. When Marriott proposes that Marriott no longer sells weeks, but only points, goto redweek.com and purchase a real week.

We own 11 timeshare weeks and holiday 2-3 weeks at a time. We plan holidays and business conferences a year in advance. The "old system" works. We have traded through II to nearly every Marriott property from Kauai and Maui to Newport Beach to Park City in "high season."

We have used "Marriott Rewards (points by charge card) for holidays in the British Isles and holidays in western Europe.

In our analysis for our lifestyle, there are no advantages to the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program. Although there may be advantages for others (especially the salespeople.)

DrRonald H.
May 27, 2012

We have visited Waiohai in Kauai, and this is an excellent Marriott. Of course you should purchase a"used week." There are no "new weeks" at most Marriotts, and there will only be the "Destination Points."

Goto redweek.com and purchase a week at Waiohai in Kauai. All villas are "used" 52 weeks a year. Marriott has an excellent reputation for maintenance, and at fee of $1000.00 per week or $52,000.00 per year, every Marriott villa better look like new!

DrRonald H.
May 28, 2012

BY THE WAY MARRIOTT WON'T GET MY ARUBA WEEKS OR MY 2 SABLE PALM WEEKS IN ORLANDO EITHER. AND YES THEY OFFERED ME $14,000 FOR MY ARUBA WEEKS WHICH I PAID $33,000 FOR 6 YEARS AGO. I WROTE TO BILL MARRIOTT AND REQUESTED A RESPONSE FROM HIM , WHICH I DIDN'T GET, BUT ANOTRHER FELLOW CALLED FROM THE EXECUTIVE OFFICES AND WE HAD A HOUR AND A HALF DISCUSSION ABOUT SEVERAL THINGS INCLUDING THEIR REDICULOUS OFFERS TO THE MARRIOTT OWNERS WHO OVER THE LAST 15 YEArs or more have made them who they are. the PR they are getting is terrible and i reminded him they could have done these things 20 years ago and hardly anyone would know what they were doing, but in today's communication technology, all the websites are blasting the hell out of them and I'm encouraged by reading the the owners in Hawaii and Aruba are refusing to trade with them because the points they would receive can't get them equal quality resort.WHEN THEY SELL THE POINT PROGRAM, THEY TELL EVERYONE THAT THEY CAN TRADE TO GO ANYWHERE. THEY MAY HAVE SOME REAL LEGAL PROBLEMS DOWN THE ROAD WHEN PEOPLE FIND THERE ARE VERY FEW OPENINGS IN THE TWO MOST VACATIONED SPOTS, ARUBA AND HAWAII. LOOKING FOR TO HEARING FROM.

JIM

Jim B.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 29, 2012 04:06 AM

May 29, 2012

...And what was his response to all of this? Surely they must know that they are getting VERY bad PR from these blogs. We have always been happy in the past with our Marriott properties, but I just wish someone at MCVI would respond.

Kathy

Kathryn M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.