Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Grandview at Las Vegas Redweek rentals?

Dec 16, 2010

I'm thinking of posting my 2 bedroom at the Grandview for rent on Redweek, but noticed several listed. I'm curious about a couple of things. First, for those who have successfully rented out their week, did you list it as a full 7 day rental or a shorter stay?

Second, have any of you successfully utilized the rental option that Daily Management Inc. offers when you pay your Grandview maintenance fees? They want 30% of the gross rental received.

I'm just curious to know if either avenue has worked well for you.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan G.
Dec 16, 2010

My timeshare in Lake Tahoe has same setup and I can tell you in my case its worth every cent to use your resort rental!

Most owners will only rent for full seven days or they paid for days and getting no use. We always have July 4th week and we get asked everytime about only renting for the three days of the holiday week so they can enjoy the fireworks show on the lake. My opinion is if you only want three days get a hotel room.

I ran ads two different times over two years on here for the July 4th week which is one of the most booked weeks in Lake Tahoe at very good price for renters and not one contact. I pulled the one year in late June and gave it to the resort who rented it for much more than I asked for on Redweek and did it in less than one week. The other year we used it for our family and this is why I always recommend to others to forget always booking holiday weeks to try and rent. Unless you can go and enjoy the resort that week if not rented. If you book a week you would want to go then you have something to fall back on if not rented. Also this keeps owners from being stuck last minute and having to except a really bad deal just to try and get some money!

That thirty percent they charge you if like our resort rents the unit and sends you a check {You don't need to worry about being scammed} and they send you the form for your tax that year. I figure time I paid membership fee and rental fee and what ever else Redweek could get out of me I now have a listing with others and never know how many people even see my ad. Then after this all you hear from replies is you need to drop your price and be the lowest price to rent because your dealing with other owners. Your now listed and pricing with other ads that may not even come close to your week like a holiday week.

You would be shocked on how many people never heard of these timeshare forums or would deal off of one. They like a resort and want to come back they will stop in the rental office and pay more to book for their next vacation. Our resort also deals with Orbitz and others for rentals. Safety has a lot to do with this thinking. We sold one of our two units last July 4th while up there and for fair price and had two buyers with interest and both came from just a conversation at the resort. The family that bought our unit did it in one day because the office handled everything for them and they knew all information was right. They stated they would never have bought a timeshare off any timeshare forum because of safety and I would think many renters feel the same way. Also how many non-members of Redweek will pay membership fee to join just to rent your unit?

Hope this helps! PHIL

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Dec 26, 2010 07:49 AM

Dec 18, 2010

Your post was very helpful, Phil. Thank you! I'll put my week up for rent with the resort this year and see what happens.

Jonathan G.
Dec 18, 2010

jonathang59 wrote:
Your post was very helpful, Phil. Thank you! I'll put my week up for rent with the resort this year and see what happens.

You might also check out the policy at your resort about how they work. Our resort will have your unit on a rental list by date you signed up and then rent going down the list. Our resort rents by the night so say someone only rents three nights then they move down the list of other owners with your same week to rent. You could only have three days rented but then at a point getting close to your week you can pull the remaining days and use them for your family. This is another reason for booking a week you could use. Depending on how many owners have the same week you have the resort list will get back to your unit and good chance a second renter will rent the remaining days. My resort does add a fee to clean the room for second renter and I have no problem with that.

Remember many owners will book holiday weeks with idea of just renting and get stuck with bad deal or no deal and they can't use it so they paid maintenance fee's and get nothing. Also most resorts will have longer list for holiday weeks so the list might never turn over again and then you need to use or lose the time. Ask your resort rental how many units they have for your same week before making up your mind unless your resort is full most times.

Couple years ago we rented out our lock-off unit for ski week/Presents Day week and had a person only rent two nights. A week later they had another family rent the four nights in middle of the week so we only lost one day of rental. We also made more money after the fee's than we asked for on our two bedroom condo on Redweek for our July 4th week.

My opinion is only based on my own resort so check how your resort works.

PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Dec 18, 2010 10:31 PM

Feb 16, 2020

Im so glad i came across this post thank you, for the great feeb back and follow up. My wife and i just bought 2 units at Grandview and was told by the sales guy that we could rent it out anytime during the year as long as its not more than 6 days. We thought great lets rent out the units to offset our monthly and yearly fees. I contacted the Grandview hotel and they emailed me the rental agreement if I choose to rent through them I thought this might be a good option I was also looking on Airbnb and seeing what they had to offer. We have week 47 which is the week of Thanksgiving but we were told that through RCI we had 4 bonus weeks which we would like to figure out how to use and rent most of those days out we're still working on that part this is our first time trying to do something like this to help offset the cost and maybe make a little money if you guys have any thoughts or advice I would really appreciate it thank you Brian

Brian L.
Feb 16, 2020

Brian: It is against the policies of RCI to rent out any weeks obtained through their system, which includes bonus weeks. You are certainly able to rent out your home resort weeks, however. You will find the two RedWeek rental options on this page:

Rental Options

If you have further questions, please use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of any page.

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Dec 05, 2023

f

Gabrielle A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.