Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Is there a reputable holiday property management company that won't scam us?

May 03, 2011

I have a chalet in Vale, CO and a beachfront hacienda in Cabo, MX and I'd like to find a company that can tend to both my holiday properties. I recently heard about some of these holiday property management companies scamming their employees and sometimes hiring thieves who would steal the valuables in the homes they're tending to. Right now I'm looking into a company who can tend to our properties, without us having to worry about our assets getting stolen.

Anyone know of a company that operates in the US and in Mexico for property management?

James M.
May 05, 2011

There are plenty of reputable holiday property managers out there, especially ones that will take care of your resort and timeshares. I've been lucky to find fulltime renters for the property I have, and when I vacation they visit their family in Canada. They look after the management of the property while I'm back in the US, but I can ask around the resort to see if anyone has anyone to recommend.

Babs T.
May 06, 2011

Has anyone ever heard of ICM Group (ICMG Inc.)? They are offering to sell a timeshare for me but need money up front. Stated that it is illegal to sell then be paid for their services. Company is located in Holmes, PA 19043. Thanks for any information.

Ralph R.
May 07, 2011

ralphr68 wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of ICM Group (ICMG Inc.)? They are offering to sell a timeshare for me but need money up front.
ANY AND EVERY entity on Planet Earth that charges an upfront fee to sell a timeshare (including this particular unknown entity) is one whose ONLY goal is to TAKE YOUR MONEY. Period, amen.

THINK about it for a moment. Once you pay these parasites, they have fully achieved their objective. There is NO more money in it for them after that, even if you DO sell your timeshare. Accordingly, they really couldn't care less whether you EVER sell it or not. They ALREADY have ALL the money they will ever see from you. Once you pay them "upfront", they are happy, fulfilled and --- make no mistake about this --- they are then DONE with you...

Upfront fee companies will NOT sell your timeshare. Yes, they might ADVERTISE it for you at a ridiculously high price on some obscure web site that very few people will ever even see --- but that's all. If you pay money to ANY upfront fee company in ANY amount you are, in effect, just flushing that money down the toilet, plainly and simply stated.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 09, 2011 05:02 AM

May 10, 2011

Don't look on Craigslist for someone to manage your holiday property .. you will end up with a family of raccoon living there instead!

Taylor J.
May 11, 2011

Its a shame that we actually have to worry about this in this day and age. How can we finally get rid of the scammers once and for all!

Another D.
May 11, 2011

And I'm convinced there is a way to do it!

Another D.
May 12, 2011

anotherd wrote:
And I'm convinced there is a way to do it!
In my personal opinion, there is only ONE clear potential solution. That solution is the creation and adoption of FEDERAL legislation which strictly regulates the very existence of these parasites, with severe criminal (not just civil penalty) sanctions for violators.

Florida is to be commended for taking a swipe at eliminating these maggots from their state (although there are still dozens of them there), but state laws (including Florida's) have absolutely no teeth (...and no jurisdiction) outside their own state borders. In addition, currently if a scammer starts to feel the heat, all they have to do is MOVE to another state with no comparable laws (which, by the way, is the overwhelming majority of all states in the USA).

Two words --- FEDERAL LEGISLATION !

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has some jurisdiction over these maggots, but FTC authority and leverage is too limited is derives largely from the "telemarketing" angle. That's plainly NOT good enough or strong enough to drive these parasites out of existence. The very EXISTENCE of these maggots (not just their telemarketing practices) has to be very strictly regulated with strong federal legislation, at least in my view.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 12, 2011 04:57 AM

May 13, 2011

Really? Because the government has done a pretty good job of keeping us out of harm's way from other scammers AKA Wall Street, Fannie Mac, Freddie Mac, Savings and Loans Scandals, BP, etc.

Toni B.
May 13, 2011

Have you tried the BBB for a holiday property management organization in your area? I don't know if they do international reviews of companies but it may be worth looking into.

Herny J.
May 13, 2011

Yes, it looks like there is a BBB or equivalent in most countries.

Herny J.
May 13, 2011

tonib75 wrote:
Really? Because the government has done a pretty good job of keeping us out of harm's way from other scammers AKA Wall Street, Fannie Mac, Freddie Mac, Savings and Loans Scandals, BP, etc.
Good examples of INADEQUATE REGULATION....

What is YOUR particular proposed solution, if you don't believe in a legislative approach?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 13, 2011 06:02 PM

May 16, 2011

Do your research! Look into who you do business with before you hand someone money. If you're do´'t have the common sense or foresight to see who you give your money too, then its your own fault if you get scammed.

Sorry, but it's true.

Terry J.
May 16, 2011

terryj83 wrote:
Do your research! Look into who you do business with before you hand someone money. If you don't have the common sense or foresight to see who you give your money too, then its your own fault if you get scammed.

Sorry, but it's true.

I agree with you completely; there are no "victims" --- there are only VOLUNTEERS!

That much clearly stated, I still believe that some decent and effective nationwide legislation to drive all of these upfront fee maggots right out of existence would help people who are either unable or unwilling to exercise the intellect and / or energy and /or common sense to look out for their own best interests.

KC
May 17, 2011

Its true.. there are ONLY VOLUNTEERS.. if you decide to waste your money by buying into someone's scam without doing your own research and due diligence, then so be it. You can't complain after the fact about how you were defrauded when there are multiple sites and reference points to check a company's legitimacy.

Gerry B.
May 19, 2011

It never ceases to amaze me at the lengths scammers will go to take our money. What do we have to do to protect ourselves from these f&(%ers.

For once and for all. What sort of reliance do we have when the governments won't shield us from these sleaveballs with their fake escrow companies.

Marcus T.
May 19, 2011

However it happens, there has to be something to happen so people are more apt to see their money returned. Is that too much to ask?

Kendra S.
May 19, 2011

I like the above comment about doing your research. Do you buy stocks before doing research about the company? Why is this any different??

Marcus T.
May 19, 2011

Not everyone has the resources to do a background check on a company. I understand how people get lured into their schemes. I almost fell for something similar, and then backed out at the last minute.

Good thing I did.

Kendra S.
May 23, 2011

kendras26 wrote:
Not everyone has the resources to do a background check on a company. I understand how people get lured into their schemes.

In the age of the Internet, it's hardly necessary to conduct an actual "background check". In 30 seconds or less, BEFORE pulling out their credi card, ANYONE with computer access to the Internet can simply "search" on a company name and easily find reports of those already scammed --- BEFORE sending more hard earned money off to a scammer.

Anyone who parts with their money FIRST and THEN (...only later) actually does a little homework is clearly NOT a "victim" --- they are instead just another willing VOLUNTEER!

KC

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.