The Manhattan Club

Manhattan Club Lawsuit

Jun 18, 2019

nathanz2 wrote:
Thank you again Maurice. The data seems clear to me. Most folks who visit here are transactionallly oriented. They come and they go. Few stick around. Only the hard core post much, and they (we) squabble a lot. The tone of the interchange probably makes it uncomfortable for a lot of people to join in. It may be a public service, but probably not conducive to a lot of business for RedWeek. Not enormously helpful for adding owners outside the core group of posters either. Thanks again for hosting and sharing these stats.

I suspect the vast majority of owners don't actually post here. Most people tend to lurk, I think. I know I do.

If there's something concrete we can do to assist though, please let me know. I'm afraid I haven't followed the details of this saga. But our goal is always to maximize the value for owners. I don't particularly care if it generates business for RedWeek short-term. We're focused on the long term.

Maurice A.
RedWeek.com
Jun 18, 2019

Hello Maurice, We are basically in agreement on how people use the site. I don't know that people lurk; I imagine the majority read in hopes of learning something of value, and don't feel sufficiently motivated to post. RedWeek is certainly doing a good deed for the MC owner community by hosting. I thank you and hope that it contributes to your long term success. I wouldn't expect RedWeek to get more involved in the "saga." In the absence of Attorney Zimmerman achieving some breakthrough, I don't see another endgame. I know others here may disagree with me, but that's what makes a horserace. Thank you again for you interest and help!

Nathan Z.
Jun 19, 2019

If possible, please include us. Ronald & Glenda Flournoy. gflourn@gmail.com

brianm659 wrote:
If it's not too late. include me #29779, Brian C Moore bcmoore@optonline.net

Glenda F.
Jun 20, 2019

Glenda,

Not meaning any disrespect, but It appears you are responding to a very old post. You need to refresh your knowledge.

You should probably read the Manhattan Club AOD which is posted on the NY Attorney General's site. You can also read this thread going back 40 or 50 pages.

If you want to be included in something, there is one attorney currently working on this matter (Jean Marc Zimmerman), and you must contact his office yourself. His office will advise you on their requirements.

Search this thread for his contact info. (use the search function in the upper right corner!)

Good luck.

Nathan Z.

Last edited by nathanz2 on Jun 20, 2019 10:38 AM

Jun 21, 2019

Ok, So I own four weeks at the Manhattan Club 1 Penthouse week with 3 New years night, one two bath unit week 52 Check in on Dec. 27 and with check out on Jan. 3 another two bath unit with 3 new years night Dec.30 to Jan 2 and one studio week , never had a problem renting the new years weeks, on till AIRB&B came about and folks started renting there apartment's thru them in NYC, then I have never been able to rent them , now I just received offer from: Timeshare Interval Admin. LLC. to buy my units for $100 each, any other owners got this? would like owners here feed back, Thanks

Howard B.
Jun 21, 2019

Howard - for a number of years I tried to rent my penthouse weeks through Red Week and never, ever had any luck - it was a waste of money. If you reviewed their rentals, you would see that they obtain very, very few M. Club rentals. I even suggested that they indicate on their listings that units at the M. C. that were penthouse units be stated as such as the ordinary renter would not understand why certain units/weeks were higher than others - it was because those units were penthouse units and thus had more features. Red Week never made the correction which only hurt them because the penthouse units seldom got rented and people, such as myself, stopping trying to rent through Red Week. They had no problem with other timeshare properties stating that certain units were garden, or oceanfront, or ocean view. So - I totally understand your frustration.

Gail J.
Jun 21, 2019

Thank you

Kevin O.
Jun 21, 2019

I received the same offer from them. I have been looking to dump this disaster for 5 years so the offer was a welcome relief. My attorney said the paperwork was fine. Moving on.

John H
Jun 22, 2019

Can you give me the name ,address and or phone number of the Company willing to buy out your timeshare? Please. I too want out of my 7 day Junior Executive Suite. Thank you. Bob Marth .... rdmxav@aol.com

Robert M.
Jun 22, 2019

Owners need to make the decision they feel is best for them. Maybe you're tired of maintenance fees or don't like visiting New York anymore. Owning four units is probably a fairly unique situation. But make certain you obtain professional advice on all the consequences before you sell.

Selling a timeshare for $100 you bought for tens of thousands does not "help" you as much as it's helping the buyer. Sure, it should get you out of future maintenance fees. However, giving a deed in lieu of foreclosure is reportable to the credit bureaus and included on any future credit applications. If you owe maintenance fees or an outstanding balance on your mortgage which are being forgiven, those are generally reported to the IRS as taxable income. You should consult your tax advisor, but it is highly unlikely that these timeshares can be considered investments, so you can't deduct capital losses.

I can't help getting the feeling I'm watching a shell game designed to entice more sellers.

Nathan Z.
Jun 22, 2019

Same here. I'm trying to get rid of mine too.

Julie Osikoya D.
Jun 22, 2019

Thanks for all response, really don't go in to NYC much anymore So think I will be taking there offer, Thanks all

Howard B.
Jun 22, 2019

howard, please give me a call. I am a reporter who has covered the TMC issues for six years and written many articles about it on RedWeek.com. Want to understand your situation because your units have more value than whatever this LLC is offering you. Jeff 310-801-3479

Jeffrey W.
Jun 23, 2019

Not having turned over the board to the owners was the biggest mistake ever made. Did the AG even look at that? Does New York not have the requirement to turn the timeshare over to the owners?

I have been complaining for years about the high maintenance fees. I even suggested that we not have the daily cleaning because labor costs were so high. I was told that the union in NY was too powerful and that we couldn't do that. Well, how many of you traded your MC timeshare and found that you had to pay for cleaning at the timeshare you exchanged for? Why can't we do that? We should have an extra fee for those who echange into the TMC. There is nothing more maddening than having to pay extra fees for these other timeshares that may not even meet the quality of TMC?

How can TMC have a contract that precludes the exchange of your unit to Interval International? Isn't it an owner's right to exchange wherever they want? I have done exchanges with SFX and DAE. Why should TMC keep me from exchanging with Interval International? Isn't it some kind of unlawful restraint of trade?

If we could get a legislator to work on this very flawed system it would be great. I have owned for about 26 years. Did the AG look into any of these things?

While many of the exchange companies may give you 2 or three weeks for your MC week, The amount of points that RCI allots you is better. However, they kill you with those exchange fees of $239 every time you exchange! It makes you wonder if you should even bother.

So let's change this industry. Every day someone tries a new scam. This needs to stop too!

Laura H.
Jun 23, 2019

Howard, could you please provide contact information for Timeshare Interval Admin. LLC. I would happily sell our timeshare for $1.00.

J D.
Jun 24, 2019

Same here

Julie Osikoya D.
Jun 24, 2019

Its: Christine Stile : Phone # 212-453-8128 fax: 212 453 8320 : chrisa2@mcny.com

Howard B.
Jun 25, 2019

Thanks

Julie Osikoya D.
Jul 21, 2019

laura,

you outlined very many salient TMC points of contention that all of us owners should be aware of and doing something about. i must think twice concerning your idea of daily cleaning, a valid point, but probably it wouldn't reduce our maintenance fees substantially, if at all. the only way to change the ills, scams and frauds in the timeshare industry at large is via national legislation, or perhaps starting by going back to the nysag, letitia james, to show her how the terms of the former nysag's "settlement" (schneiderman) are not being adhered to at all. since his legal settlement, NOTHING has changed for the better at THE MANHATTAN CLUB. eichner had continued to defy the court order and, it seems bluegreen is following in eichner's footsteps.

these are the ideas we should be working on rather than simply bantering on this forum.

i' 'm sending the essence of your excellent outline to my attorney.

laurah136 wrote:
Not having turned over the board to the owners was the biggest mistake ever made. Did the AG even look at that? Does New York not have the requirement to turn the timeshare over to the owners?

I have been complaining for years about the high maintenance fees. I even suggested that we not have the daily cleaning because labor costs were so high. I was told that the union in NY was too powerful and that we couldn't do that. Well, how many of you traded your MC timeshare and found that you had to pay for cleaning at the timeshare you exchanged for? Why can't we do that? We should have an extra fee for those who echange into the TMC. There is nothing more maddening than having to pay extra fees for these other timeshares that may not even meet the quality of TMC?

How can TMC have a contract that precludes the exchange of your unit to Interval International? Isn't it an owner's right to exchange wherever they want? I have done exchanges with SFX and DAE. Why should TMC keep me from exchanging with Interval International? Isn't it some kind of unlawful restraint of trade?

If we could get a legislator to work on this very flawed system it would be great. I have owned for about 26 years. Did the AG look into any of these things?

While many of the exchange companies may give you 2 or three weeks for your MC week, The amount of points that RCI allots you is better. However, they kill you with those exchange fees of $239 every time you exchange! It makes you wonder if you should even bother.

So let's change this industry. Every day someone tries a new scam. This needs to stop too!

Chris V.

Last edited by chrisv126 on Jul 21, 2019 01:33 PM

Jul 21, 2019

Hi - did I understand correctly that you were saying that when owners exchange to another resort, they aren't charged for cleaning? So that would be because that resort into which an owner exchanged,had already figured the cleaning/maid service into that resort's maintenance fees to its owners. But, the part about I. I. is that if you own a M. Club penthouse unit week, which I own 2, you can only exchange with Inter. International. I tried to even see if I could also use RCI and was told definitely not because the penthouse units qualify for I. I. which is supposedly a step above RCI and that the penthouses were a step above the other floors at the M. C. So, most of the M. Club owners have to use R. C. I. while the penthouse units must use Interval International. Also, and I don't know if this is true for M. Club non penthouse units, but we in the Penthouse units get a small bottle of rum or some liquor when we arrive and then each night we are given a very tiny box of chocolate truffles. That should definitely be cut out - we don't need that expense.

Gail J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.