Timeshare Companies

Vida Vacations & Grand Mayan lies

Jun 23, 2017

Once every 10 yrs there is a required fee assessed for upkeep. I do agree that the sales staff at times is too aggressive but you have the right to get up and walk out. We do sit thru updates every time we go but they are more about trying to get you to upgrade. We always tell them we are happy with our program and want no changes. And if we choose to not go to the updates the only thing we forfeit is 10% discount on our final bill. I will never let a sales situation ruin my yearly visit.

Elaine F.
Jun 23, 2017

elainef88 wrote:
I do agree that the sales staff at times is too aggressive but you have the right to get up and walk out.

And yes, I do agree with you there too. The problem is that the potential buyers (aka "Marks") came for the gift and the sales people will not give the marks the gifts until hours later. Unfortunately, there is no enforcement on this nor any reason for the sales people to give the gift after the agreed-upon time (usually 90 minutes).

The marks are waiting for their gift but are not getting it until the sales people feel they have "finished with them" which could take (and usually does take) hours.

Lance C.
Jun 24, 2017

I don't know what gift you're alluding to...once you attend the presentation you are entitled to a discount of 10% on your final bill. They can't hold back on that and you can argue that at the front desk. I'm not aware of other gifts but perhaps they are dangling incentives to new purchasers. For me my time is worth more than any giveaway they can offer. But I see your point...not everyone would get up and leave.

Elaine F.
Jun 25, 2017

A very good question, one that Many have been been asking ourselves as well, how did it happen? Vidanta’s member service also kept stating that, you signed the contract out of your free will; no one forced you into a contract. The short answer is: Persuasion, defined in social psychology as an active method of influence that attempts to guide people toward certain attitude, idea, or behavior by rational or emotive means. Persuasion relies on "appeals" rather than physical coercion. When persuasion tactics combined with fraudulent information, it is common to trap people deeper and deeper into lies upon lies, as evident in many of the negative experience that people have shared.

Here comes the long answer if you wish to have a better understanding of the situation. Hopefully we could also raise more awareness so that fewer would fall for the trap. Why were they able to keep people in there for so long? Were people just being foolish, weak, ignorant, and irresponsible as the con artists would like us to think upon the discovery? Part of falling for any lie could be attributed to the victim of being unsuspicious and vulnerable, which is something the presenter tried hard to cultivate. It is also true that under certain circumstances, some of us are more susceptible to lies. But as much as human are fallible does not make it right to defraud them.

Upon a lot of late night thinking and research, it becomes clear that persuasion tactics based on social psychology was exploited throughout the process. Persuasion usually uses appeal, rather than physical coercion to manipulate or influence people’s attitude and induce actions, which makes it even more difficult to resist than physical restraints since it is subtle and well planned. Those are powerful psychological maneuvers that would work on most people, simply because we human beings share common psychological tendencies to connect, support, and to avoid conflict, objection or discordance. The key elements in the tactics started as soon as travelers check in at the resort

1. The update was usually scheduled on the 3rd day of the vacation when people are the most relaxed and well into their vacation mode, but not yet not thinking about returning to business at home. They’ve loosened up to the extent that they tend to trust other people who are enjoying or working at the same resort, even more than usual.

2. The sales person are now introduced as a member advocate. The first thing she said was “I’m not a sales, I do not make any money by giving you the member update. I’m merely doing this to help you understand your owner benefits. It is my job to make sure you are receiving the highest quality of service during your vacation.” They appear very friendly, amicable and talk really fast, conveying the idea that they are the authorities and experts in this matter.

3. The update starts with a full buffet breakfast, during which the agent make small talks about her personal lives, ask about your personal lives, hug your children, compliments your family. Unfortunately, this initial bonding and building of trust paves the road to further delivery of false information. During the breakfast, she talks enthusiastically about the company’s great success and the huge projects underway that boost the value of customer’s investment tremendously.

4. After a full meal, customers are physically and mentally further relaxed into their vacation mode. For the past two or three days, this is the point they start their day at the pools or beach, and they become even more susceptible to peripheral process which involves less active information processing and decision making. Similar to what we experience after sitting in front of the TV for too long, the audience tend to passively accept whatever was presented to them, and stop making good judgments.

5. From there, the presentation was filled with inflammatory speeches, deceptive calculations, and false statements. Before this part, without the lies, the persuasion tactics can still be considered ‘marketing’. But after the big pile of lies that specifically target and influence the audience's financial decisions, it becomes fraud.

6. If questions were raised, objections were made, or the audience wanted to leave, the sales find other “managers” to ask the audience please stay and listen further, otherwise you’ve just wasted your precious vacation time. It is in most people’s social nature to want to be polite, cooperative and trusting, especially when they are at a supposedly relaxing environment with their families. By taking advantage of such nature, they were able to keep their audience longer and longer.

7.Then the long hours spent at the presentation further tie down the audience by appealing to their urge to gain something good out of the lengthy and exhausting process. It becomes harder and harder for the customers to break off, now that they are even more emotionally attached.

8. The sales room have no internet. They are no longer using the word “timeshare”, not once in their conversation. They refer to it as something completely different and of great reputation. They keep saying the words “private residence club", “vacation home”, etc, so that even if you search online after the presentation, the warnings and negative time share experience do not show up easily.

All of the individual elements may seem trivial or non-compelling if you break them down and study them one by one, but when intricately designed and put together, it created a mental trap no weaker than physical restraints, if not more powerful. It appeals to human’s common vulnerability, taking advantage of the love for our family, the social need to belong and concur, and the reluctance to break off with superficial friendliness. It is why after discovery, many customers were so angry, feel betrayed, fooled, highly pressured, and could not make sense of how that could have happened.

It may seem obvious in hindsight, but when in the middle of it, the audience was at vulnerability and the company controlled the information and the whole process. That is also why a lot of kind people that had similar experience gave the advice “Do not go to the update!” instead of “Go, get your reward, then go away”. Because someone who had been through it know it was powerful manipulation that most people, in that particular moment, will have trouble getting themselves out.

So if the customers were not physically forced or restrained, does that make the whole thing legitimate? Not with the false representation in the process to lure customers into a contract — whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to his loss.

Many of us from the US or Canada do not encounter such fraudulent and exploitative behaviors often. Our legal and value system have good protection against such behaviors and punish fraud severely. While travelling in a foreign country, our inexperience works against our better judgments, which is a lesson many learned the hard way.

Rain Z.
Jun 25, 2017

Your analysis is so spot on I wonder if you train these sales people. I hope others read this so in the future they attend these updates knowing the tactics. Thanks for this posting.

Elaine F.
Jun 25, 2017

Rainz .. your post is probably the most informative article I have seen in the forums in my time on the internet . You make many valid points. To summarize your post I have stated many times in the forum that the timeshare industry spends millions of dollars researching and developing strategies to lure their customers into signing a contract when they are in a euphoric state while enjoying a vacation . Usually by the time they return home and realize what they obligated themselves to the rescission period has expired . If this product was sold on the open market they would go out of business in no time .

The same principle applies to the exit companies . They spend time and money to create a pitch to lure you into their scam and convince you to send them money upfront . They will lead you along and in some cases demand even more money by stating that they need an additional " fee " that has to be paid before they can complete their paperwork . If anyone is dumb enough to fall for their scam then they put you on the " sucker list " and somewhere down the road someone will contact you claiming they can recover the money that the scammers took form you. It will continue until you stop sending them money .

Thank you for your informative post . I hope you continue to post in the forum .

Don P.
Jun 25, 2017

I have been following this thread for a long time.

The Vidanta sales people, and I only know the ones from PV, are some of the best at their selling technique. Quick, fast, ruthless.

We haven't been to any of the Vidanta/Mayan properties for years, yet just got a "special offer" to reserve space at the Grand Bliss!!

It may be a long time before I get back there.

Gordon E.
Jul 23, 2017

My husband and I bought a Grande Luxxe Loft last year at Nuevo Vallarta Vidanta resort. We are finding out that nothing Vidanta told us turned out to be true. We too have been ripped off! This idea of trading our old timeshare was just another scam. After we returned home, we received a call saying we could keep our old time share for $1200.00. We would have had to pay $850.00 for the filing and transfer processing fee anyway. So now we have the 2 timeshares and figured to let our family use our other one since our trading power was suppose to be higher with Vidanta. Needless to say...more lies. We were not able to get to trade using our Vidanta weeks due to lack of availability. Also we were told that we could make money off the ambassador program. We were told we were guaranteed to get $3000.00 minimum and up to $22,500.00 Maximum with this program. Can't even get 1 cent! We put $7500.00 down and have paid an addition $3,500.00 and still owe over $20,000.00. I'm so frustrated and feel so taken advantage of! I always try to see the good in people and when come across companies like this and people that would do this is so disheartening. If anyone has recommendations on how to go about trying to get out of this mess, that would be greatly appreciated.

Mary B.
Aug 05, 2017

This is a copy/paste from a TripAdvisor review, not mine but I would agree with it. Just as I do with 'rainz' well phrased post earlier.

"I've always enjoyed my previous previous three stays at Vida vacations. But this year was nothing but a disappointment. The minute we checked in we are upgraded to the Grand Mayan and the Busboys and the car to take to the rooms did not know where to go it took us an hour and a half to check in and finally got to oiroom after a long day of travel. The place is beautiful the food is good and people are nice. Usually you have to sign up for a presentation which in years past we've gone to and sometimes decline but now the incentivize you with the $2,000 peso room credit 10% off your bill and a VP card. So we figured what the heck what's a $150 and go to the hour-and-a-half presentation. So Wednesday morning we get up and go to the presentation from 9:30 to 11 by 10 am the presentation really started and we basically told the sales guy look save your time and money we've been through this before were not upgrading we just want our credit card $2000 peaos + 10% off they want to go on a vacation. That's what was promised We told them we may be upgrading in five years when we are ready to retire and have more time. So those of you been through this knows how this goes then they bring in the closer to try to convince you what we tell them that we've been lied to. And they said well if you don't go to them another hour presentation you won't get your 2000 pesos and 10% off your bill. Then they send another private room and I asked the guy is this where they put the bad people and he says no we don't have a room for that. So then he goes on to tell us we have to sit through another hour presentation finally we said screw it keep your money we will never be coming back and we'll trade with RCIA and interval vacations. Anyway we completely got pissed off and said keep your incentives. Too bad I understand the pressure sales situations but they're just some people that aren't going to bite and they need to recognize that. Unfortunately they lost us for customers for life. We will just eat the investment and go on onto somewhere else. Anyone has any questions please PM me or text me I'll be glad to answer. This is my fourth year here and have a lot of experience in Vida vacation. The problem is I feel these properties are over sold and very busy and very big it's hard to find it's hard to find umbrellas with shade as many people get up early throw their towels on so your stuck in the sun. You can find them but you have to work very very hard looking for them. Goodbye Vida vacations it certainly was not a pleasure! It wasn't like this four years ago they have sold thousands and thousands of memberships since then only for 7 properties that you have to book a year in advance if you want to get in anything than the Vidanta in Rivera Maya. We will be talking to as many y people in the resort as we can to let them know don't go for the incentie and the presentation. I guess you can tell I'm pissed but I do t like being lied to. I'll be by the door tonight talking to people as they enter

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g659488-d10498520-r479174575-Vidanta_Resort-Riviera_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#"

We haven't gone back for years.

Gordon E.
Sep 23, 2017

Vidanta has settled our problem in a satisfactory manner.

Louise Johnson

Last edited by lauraj239 on Dec 11, 2017 09:49 AM

Sep 23, 2017

lauraj239 wrote:
The Vida salespeople are still super high pressure and insulting. They told us they could care less about losing a $20,000 sale and walked away when we said we would be rescinding.

If you are rescinding, make sure you do it via the proper method pointed out in your contract. If might tell you to send it certified mail. If those are the directions, make sure you do that rather than just tell the sales people you are rescinding.

Lance C.
Sep 23, 2017

Louise Johnson

Last edited by lauraj239 on Dec 11, 2017 09:50 AM

Sep 23, 2017

Louise Johnson

Last edited by lauraj239 on Dec 11, 2017 09:49 AM

Oct 05, 2017

I was contacted by a guy named justin monroe not the writer he identified himself as the CEO of a company alliance broker from Minnesota he offer me to buy the right of use for my timeshare with Grand Luxxe for $92,000.00 USD. I played along just to see how far he will go, according to him his company (no he was the owner not the CEO) he told me no upfront fees or cost that his company will pay for the maintenance fees because Johnson & Johnson hired him to organize a golf tournament and that he was working directly with Vidanta. (I called vidanta and they don’t now the guy or the event). the funny part is that he mention that he will go to the bank to liquidate stocks from his company to pay me the $92,000 and less than 30 minutes he called me back to let me know the money was ready to be send, I guess the T+3 rules of the SEC doesn’t apply for this guy i mean really less than 30 minutes to trade stocks when the actual process is 3 days am sure he doesn’t even know this. And guess what happened when i told him i don’t want to continue he said no problem I will pay for the calculation fee for you. Here is the info of this scammer not so smart he was arrogant all the time, he even sent me a license number that it shows another guy as CEO and the only register agent also. https://mblsportal.sos.state.mn.us/Business/Search file number 1927122-2

Patrick W.
Nov 20, 2017

We just got scammed into a contract regarding the 5-day cancellation time by Mayan Palace in August 2017. Can you please tell us the process how you could get your refund? Anyone else has any idea or recommendation how the credit company or any other agencies can get involved to get our money refunded? Thank you

barbarac657 wrote:
Beware of Vacation Class S.A. de C.V. (advertising The Bliss Resorts, Bliss Vacation Club, Grand Mayan, Vida Vacations, VidaSales and more).

My mother and I traveled to Mexico to celebrate my graduation from college. After about seven hours traveling we were met at the airport in Cancun by some saleswoman misrepresenting her intention. The next day we were at their Grand Mayan where we were subjected to five hours of high-pressure sales tactics before we relented signing an English-only document purporting to be selling "lodging rights and services."

After getting away, we learned more about whom we had been picked up by from websites like tripadvisor, timesharescam, complaintsboard, scam, mescam, pissedconsumer, independenttraveler, and fodors, to name a few (all ending dot com). We notified the sales office that we cancel and asked for our downpayment back. They pretend to be confused and refuse.

We learned that Mexican law protects consumers under PROFECO; that all contracts regarding property in Mexico, including timeshares, must be in Spanish and bear certification by a Notario--neither of which was true for us; and that we can file a complaint in at any Mexican Consulate.

Our lawyer is putting together copies of their responses to share with you the names (and taunting words) of these sales people and the additional aliases they use. We hope that this post reaches you before you travel to Mexico, so you know to stay away from these people when they try to get you at the airport.

Diep N.
Nov 20, 2017

diepn4 wrote:
We just got scammed into a contract regarding the 5-day cancellation time by Mayan Palace in August 2017. Can you please tell us the process how you could get your refund? Anyone else has any idea or recommendation how the credit company or any other agencies can get involved to get our money refunded?

Since you signed the contract three months ago, your rescission (cancellation) period has long passed. When you say "the credit company" do you mean the credit card company with which you paid or the third-party lender? If it's your credit card company, then it has charged you long ago and you have paid long ago.

So now you have two options, neither of which you are going to like. Let the resort and the lender know that you are not going to pay another penny into your mortgage and/or maintenance fees. You will probably lose the money you already sank into it but you will be free of the timeshare and future maintenance fees. The other option is to pay off what you owe and use what you bought. You obviously saw something of value in what you bought otherwise you would not have paid all that money. The big question though is, do you want to pay thousands of dollars to salvage something that is worth maybe a couple hundred dollars. It's your call.

What I do not recommend, however, is contacting these companies that claim they can "cancel" your timeshare and/or mortgage. They will charge you thousands of dollars and might not even do what you paid them to do.

Lance C.
Nov 21, 2017

diepn4 wrote:
We just got scammed into a contract regarding the 5-day cancellation time by Mayan Palace in August 2017. Can you please tell us the process how you could get your refund? Anyone else has any idea or recommendation how the credit company or any other agencies can get involved to get our money refunded? Thank you

No offense or disrespect intended, but you voluntarily signed a contract of your own free will and choice. It may have been a unwise decision, but how exactly does that unfortunate personal decision constitute your having been "scammed into" making that choice?

Mexican law provides a 5 day period to cancel (rescind) a timeshare contract. Your choice to sign a contract was made back in August (over three months ago now). If the sales weasels failed to make you aware of your rescission (cancellation) rights, as they are required to do by law, you can file a complaint with PROFECO, the governmental body in Mexico that investigates timeshare sales misdeeds. If you WERE notified of those cancellation rights but simply failed to exercise them, you are now just plain out of luck.

You are not getting any money refunded unless you can convince PROFECO that you were NOT provided with any notice of your cancellation rights at the time of contract execution. However, if those cancellation rights were made known within any document that you signed and the resort can produce any such document bearing your signature, any claim of "no cancellation rights notice was provided" obviously goes right out the window.

You voluntarily signed a contract and did not cancel it during the time period provided by law to do so. It's a "done deal" now, these several months later. However, you can make another personal choice and decision --- to not pay another penny and just walk away, forfeiting whatever amount of money you may have paid as a deposit. Contact PROFECO if you believe you can document a compelling case that there was actual fraud involved in your contract execution, but you have a steep uphill battle ahead in any scenario. Anything that the sales weasels SAID to you means absolutely nothing --- it' was just noise in the air. ONLY the WRITTEN content of the contract you signed has ANY binding legal significance.

In any event, I wish you luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 25, 2017 06:28 AM

Nov 22, 2017

Louise Johnson

Last edited by lauraj239 on Dec 11, 2017 09:50 AM

Nov 25, 2017

Vidanta is a complete scam. I was promised cash but instead received Vida Dollars which is a scam by itself! They told us that they would get rid of our current timeshare and we won't need to pay a maintenance fee anymore. We immediately contacted Vidanta and asked for cancellation due to lies and discrepancies on sales, but unfortunately Vidanta refuses to refund my money, even though I was a victim of their unethical and fraudulent sales process

Carlos S.
Dec 11, 2017

You made a statement -

The truth is that legally, you can actually just stop paying your maintenance fees and nothing will happen to your credit score.

The only thing that will happen is that you will receive lots of calls from them (since they have a team of people that are paid to call you and convince you to keep paying). And, guess what, they actually earn a commission when they do convince you.

They will also send you notifications of payment due, pass due, etc. and you can just ignore them as well.

How do you know if wont effect your credit ??

Tomas H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.