Belair Beach Hotel

Would I buy a Timeshare at the Belair or anywhere on St. Martin

Feb 02, 2012

No...No...No! First thing to understand are that Timeshare Owners own nothing, your status is that of a long term lessee (a tenant), look at the contract. The owner of the resort (usually a numbered company) owns the land, buildings and is recognized by the government. Timeshare "Owners" have No legal rights to speak of, no voting rights on resort issues, no right to audit books. The real owners also take pains to not let other "tenants" network with each other and organize, supply a members section on their web site etc.

We have an 80 year lease for 1week at Belair Beach, we are sent a newsletter once a year, it's most important function is to present a list of expenses (unsupported by any detail) which they claim justifies their ridiculous maintenance fees. We bought in 1995 with a yearly fee of $305.00, then we watched helplessly as it galloped away to it's current level of $932.00 US (add the $50 tax to it and your near a cool $1,000), an average yearly increase of 8.5% per year compounded. It's actually higher if I included the occasional special assessment. They charge those fees because they can get them (you have no recourse) and also they inhibit your ability to sell (they claim they have resale programs but they are typically shams (liars). Consequently, as maintenance has climbed, purchase value of the week has dropped (it's an inverse relationship). The week we bought for $14,000 in 1995, I can get for $800 - $2,000 from a number of sources, people who own a mid-summer week are at $500 - $1,000. So your left with a decision, pay this years maintenance or walk and start taking advantage of deals around the world. Eventually the resort gets enough weeks back that It hires a new sales staff and takes the week it robbed you of and resells it to a new pilgrim for $14,000 - $20,000. Get the picture.

Andy M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.