General Discussion

RedWeek Rental Warning

Feb 14, 2012

About one month ago I used RedWeek to contact an owner about renting at Disney Beach Club Resort in Orlando. The next day I received an email from staff at RedWeek warning me that the rental offer was probably a fraud. I saw the add was removed. I am grateful that RedWeek monitors this but am curious to know how it came to RedWeeks attention that this was likely a bogus offer?

Joseph V.
Feb 18, 2012

josephv68 wrote:
About one month ago I used RedWeek to contact an owner about renting at Disney Beach Club Resort in Orlando. The next day I received an email from staff at RedWeek warning me that the rental offer was probably a fraud. I saw the add was removed. I am grateful that RedWeek monitors this but am curious to know how it came to RedWeeks attention that this was likely a bogus offer?

Hi Joseph,

We are sometimes alerted by members who feel uneasy about a reply they receive from their inquiry. We always want people to notify us if they feel something is suspicious. We have had scammers target certain resorts and post rental postings they obviously don't own. We try to shut them down as quickly as possible but sometimes they get their postings up and inquiries before we can delete their postings. We email everyone who has inquired about the posting and hopefully save them before they send the scammer any money. That's why we always highly recommend the use of an escrow company. A scammer won't agree to use an escrow company and it's the safest method of payment.

Thank you, Marty

Marty F
Nov 09, 2013

So if I were to want to rent from a Red Week member, should I use an escrow company. What is this and how is it done?

Thank you.

Barbara Williams

Barbara W.
Nov 09, 2013

barbaraw225 wrote:
So if I were to want to rent from a Red Week member, should I use an escrow company. What is this and how is it done?

There's one escrow company advertised on RedWeek called First American Title. This company charges about $100 for escrow service. Keep in mind that many owners do not wish to use such services for at least three reasons:

1) It costs $100. Unless you, as the one renting, are willing to pay this fee (perhaps having a sense of security), no owner is going to want to use this service.

2) The owner does not get paid until at least 11 days after check-out.

3) The renter has no fewer than 60 days to change his mind and back out. So if a renter decides 60 days before check-in that he wants to back out, the owner only has 60 days to try to find a new renter.

A lot of owners require that you pay with Pay Pal.

Lance C.
Nov 09, 2013

I just want to add that just because an owner doesn't want to use an escrow, it doesn't mean they are a scammer. In most cases an owner paid MF's and advertising fees, and in some cases fees from their resort company to put a unit into another persons name 6-12 months before a rental and doesn't want to wait until 2 weeks or more after the rental to be paid.

There are other ways to verify that a renter is legitimate. These include verifying the person renting is the owner of the property/week. Verifying that the week is reserved and is not an exchanged week. Verifying that the rental has been placed in your name. Ask for references.

It is much easier to do some research and due diligence on someone you are thinking about renting from than for an owner to check on someone trying to rent from them. I feel that more potential renters(those claiming to want to rent) are the one scamming than the owners.

Tracey S.
Dec 01, 2013

I am suspicious of a posting -- who do I notify? It seems just too good to be true. I asked for references and owner verification and have not heard back yet.

Maria S.
Dec 02, 2013

marias412 wrote:
I am suspicious of a posting -- who do I notify? It seems just too good to be true. I asked for references and owner verification and have not heard back yet.

Red flag .... you haven't heard back from the owner = move on to another rental. If you deem this rental suspicious then 'Contact Redweek' below including the ad in your email.

R P.
Dec 29, 2013

Hi, I have been contacted by Concierge realty , 888 888 2204 ext 111 wihich have a few rentals advertised through redweek , particularly in aruba where i am looking to rent, please let me know if they are ok...they require the all the money up front and then they say , they will confirm the reservation ....i am doubtfull and need your adviice, thanks cathy

Catalina R.
Dec 30, 2013

catalinar5 wrote:
Hi, I have been contacted by Concierge realty , 888 888 2204 ext 111 wihich have a few rentals advertised through redweek , particularly in aruba where i am looking to rent, please let me know if they are ok...they require the all the money up front and then they say , they will confirm the reservation ....i am doubtfull and need your adviice, thanks cathy

First of all there should be a rental agreement in place stipulating the terms of the rental and signed by both the rental company and you IF you agree to their terms.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Dec 30, 2013 09:30 AM

Jan 09, 2014

Concierge....I used them...no problems...there are a legit business

I paid with a CC just in-case

Anthony R.

Last edited by anthonyr187 on Jan 09, 2014 11:21 AM

Jan 09, 2014

We are about to rent a timeshare directly from an owner (I presume) I can find no reference to this person on the web. She sent me a contract with her name printed, not signed. How can I check if this is legit? Thanks, Marj

marjl
Jan 10, 2014

What kind of contract did she send you? Did she stipulate the terms of the rental?

You should verify with the resort that she is indeed the owner of the week you're renting.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jan 10, 2014 09:24 AM

Jan 24, 2014

My wife and I bought two units in Aruba, from Michelle at Concierge, who was the consummate professional.

catalinar5 wrote:

Ted B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.