Timeshare Companies

Reba Management in Hilton Head Island

Mar 13, 2012

Has anyone had issues with this management company? I am selling my timeshare at Coral Sands and contacted Reba Management who referred me to an atty who could assist for resale. When I spoke with the paralegal in the office she informed me that Reba Management was requiring a fee of $1500 upon receiving a request to transfer ownership after the sale/closing. I called back to Reba and spoke with these folks and was informed they were going to collect this amount for "future" maintenance fees as I am current till 2015. I have begun the process of filing a complaint but was wondering if any other person had an issue when attempting to sell or buy their timeshare on the resale market?

Sally H.
Apr 05, 2012

Yes. We are in the process of trying to give our timeshare on Hilton Head Island to Donate for a Cause, and have just been advised by their agent, Resort Closings, Inc., and Reba Management that there is a $1500 transfer fee. Who are you complaining to? Is it the South Carolina Dept. of Consumer Affairs?

John D.
Apr 05, 2012

Yes, I filed a complaint with consumer affairs, however they then sent my complaint to the Real estate Compliance. I spoke to those folks, and there first review indicate the South Carolina Timeshare Law, which they are responsible for enforcing this doesn't cover this area. I am going to follow through with this but it is looking more and more like a civil matter. I have lost two buyers because of this and not happy about it.

I reviewed the Master Deed, which by the way is over 150 pages, they have a right to request a reasonable fee to change names in their billing system. Keep me up on your progress and I will do the same.

Sally H.
Apr 06, 2012

sallyh119 wrote:
Has anyone had issues with this management company? I am selling my timeshare at Coral Sands and contacted Reba Management who referred me to an atty who could assist for resale. When I spoke with the paralegal in the office she informed me that Reba Management was requiring a fee of $1500 upon receiving a request to transfer ownership after the sale/closing. I called back to Reba and spoke with these folks and was informed they were going to collect this amount for "future" maintenance fees as I am current till 2015. I have begun the process of filing a complaint but was wondering if any other person had an issue when attempting to sell or buy their timeshare on the resale market?

I'm somewhat confused .... what does Reba Management have to do with you selling your timeshare and why are they asking for $1500? If you have a buyer for your timeshare then you can choose any closing company that you prefer such as JRA Services at http://timeshareresaleclosings.com/ or www.timesharetransfer.com .... two very reputable timeshare closing services .... their fees are nowhere near $1500.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 06, 2012 07:02 AM

Apr 06, 2012

They are demanding this fee when you contact them about a change in ownership. If you don't pay they won't acknowledge the change in ownership which means the new owner won't be able to use the time or trade it within RCI. This is there way to get more money and it is illegal not to disclose this to a buyer.

Sally H.
Apr 07, 2012

It's a SCAM !!!

Don P.
Apr 08, 2012

sallyh119 wrote:
They are demanding this fee when you contact them about a change in ownership. If you don't pay they won't acknowledge the change in ownership which means the new owner won't be able to use the time or trade it within RCI. This is there way to get more money and it is illegal not to disclose this to a buyer.

A management company has no right to tell you such hogwash .... it's your week, you own it, you can do with it what you wish, use whatever closing company you choose and if they say otherwise it's a lie. This looks like a way to merely separate you from your money and the attorney must be in on it. There are fees charged with some resorts when ownership changes but nothing like $1500.

Go to the above closing companies that I posted and ask them about this issue via email.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 08, 2012 08:18 AM

Apr 11, 2012

Apparently they are following the lead of Southwind/Spinnaker Resorts also on HHI. Southwind Management began requiring $1500 for annual contracts and $750 for EOY contracts a little over a year ago. At that time I had heard that Reba would probably follow and now they have.

Supposedly the reason behind the requirement is that people were transferring their timeshares to individuals and "donation LLC's" who would then default on MF's. The transfer fee is supposed to be put in an escrow account and pay the first year or two MF's for the new owner. I don't see how it will prevent default because now people will be able to buy for cheap because this is going to tank the value and use or rent the unit for 1 or two years and then default and the problem will still be the same.

Tracey S.
Apr 12, 2012

tracey75 wrote:
Supposedly the reason behind the requirement is that people were transferring their timeshares to individuals and "donation LLC's" who would then default on MF's. The transfer fee is supposed to be put in an escrow account and pay the first year or two MF's for the new owner. I don't see how it will prevent default because now people will be able to buy for cheap because this is going to tank the value and use or rent the unit for 1 or two years and then default and the problem will still be the same.

There-in lies the problem with bogus charities and LLC's that take timeshares for a large fee then let them go into foreclosure that I've been preaching against for months in these forums.

R P.
Dec 06, 2012

I was conned into signing with these jackels while on vacation on Hilton Head.Oh,how I regret this stupid move.When I got home 5 days later I saw how bad the contract was,I swear they switched it on me,but they refused to cancel because I could not get a certified letter out in time. The terms are horrible ,the time share is a worthless pile of dung. The reps laugh at me. If I was a violent man I would smite these heathens,but I don't roll that way. However I have 3 weeks of vacation coming up in June. I intend to make myself a damned nuisance to the point of being banned from that God forsaken strip of sand that calls itself Hilton Head South Carolina.

Max K.
Dec 07, 2012

maxk18 wrote:
I was conned into signing with these jackels while on vacation on Hilton Head.Oh,how I regret this stupid move.When I got home 5 days later I saw how bad the contract was,I swear they switched it on me,but they refused to cancel because I could not get a certified letter out in time. The terms are horrible ,the time share is a worthless pile of dung. The reps laugh at me. If I was a violent man I would smite these heathens,but I don't roll that way. However I have 3 weeks of vacation coming up in June. I intend to make myself a damned nuisance to the point of being banned from that God forsaken strip of sand that calls itself Hilton Head South Carolina.

Please don't blame all of Hilton Head Island concerning your issue with one company .... Hilton Head is an absolutely beautiful island with wonderful people.

R P.
Aug 18, 2015

I have uncounted the same type of problems. It seems that their fee has gone from 150.00 to 1500. They do not return phone calls and offer no help or guidance in what to do to transfer this timeshare out of our name. Attorney fees are an additional 2,000 . Apparently you cant even give these away. I am at the point where I am considering just not paying them the fee any longer.

Patricia A.
Aug 31, 2015

LT transfers can help with the document prep and closing. Their fee is usually about $150. They will collect the documents and fees from whoever is paying and walk you though the transfer process. This is all contingent on finding someone to take your timeshare and someone either the buyer or "seller" willing to pay the $1500 plus the $150.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.