Timeshare Exchanges

Selling my timeshare

Mar 28, 2016

Hey all. I've owned my timeshare for 20 years. I bought it in college, so it was the best unit, but one that I could afford at the time.

Over the years, my wife and I have enjoyed exchanges through Interval International but often missed out on getting a larger unit at nicer properties because of size of unit I own and also perhaps location of where I own.

I am attempting to sell my studio unit in the Poconos and considering using Redweek, but have no idea what to ask for selling price. Ad a side bar, we tentatively have purchased another timeshare in Poconos which is a larger unit(2br every other yr on points) that should allow us to vacation every year by splitting deposit time Interval as 2-1brs.

We need to sell our initial property to offset costs of new property. In this market is it likely and how much should we list unit for?

My resort agent conjured up the Name Cheryl Moats and I too am leary and considering other selling options.

Scott S.
Mar 28, 2016

scotts1023 wrote:
I am attempting to sell my studio unit in the Poconos and considering using Redweek, but have no idea what to ask for selling price We need to sell our initial property to offset costs of new property. In this market is it likely and how much should we list unit for?

My resort agent conjured up the Name Cheryl Moats and I too am leary and considering other selling options.

The first rule of selling that you're probably aware of is to never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell your property. That is a scam.

The second rule is to get a realistic idea of what your unit is worth on the resale market. The hard reality is that most units out there have a resale value of about zero dollars. Many owners are paying (unwisely, I might add) post card companies, charities, questionable law firms, and viking ship companies thousands of dollars just to get them out of timeshare ownership. One recommendation to find the approximate resale value of your unit is to log into E-Bay and check what similar properties at that resort have sold for. So remember to look for completed listings as opposed to active listings. It's possible that similar listings have closed without attracting any bids.

Once you determine the approximated resale value, list it here on RedWeek or other reputable resale websites such as My Resort Network, E-Bay, Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG), or even Craigslist. Just keep in mind that, although free, Craigslist can attract a lot of spammers and scam attempts.

If you find that your unit is worth about zero dollars (most studios are) and you simply want to give it away to escape the maintenance fees, advertise that you are giving it away. If you're really serious about it, you might want to give the new taker an incentive such as offering to pay the closing costs (about $200-$300) and even the next year's maintenance fee.

As for Cheryl Moats, I've never heard of her but if she's a legitimate, licensed resale broker, she will take any commission out of the sale of the unit. However, if she's worth her weight in salt, she will also be honest with you about the realistic resale value of your unit. If she determines that your unit is worth about zero dollars, she will let you know so that you're not paying her to list and try to sell a worthless unit.

Lance C.
Mar 28, 2016

Go to the General Discussion subject in the forum and click onto the T W on line marketing and you will find a conversation about Cheryl Moats. It seems she charges about $ 199 to list your timeshare. Those companies usually just run useless ads and charge customers for absolutely doing nothing. They tempt you by suggesting that you list it for an unrealistic price to get your business. The one big red flag is the shills ( people singing her praises ) that post in the forum to make her look legit. If you have about $ 199 to throw away then by all means send her the money. I would listen to Lance and other that have been giving solid advice in the forums for years and have never asked anyone for a penny for their help.

Be realistic and do your homework. Check the internet to see if anyone has listed or sold a similar timeshare. I gave back two timeshares in 2011 through " deed backs " . I just wanted to be rid of the forever increasing maintenance fees and assessments. . Best decision I made in a long time . The good news is that you came to the forum before forking over you hard earned money to someone with a good B S line .

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Mar 28, 2016 09:02 AM

Mar 28, 2016

Thanks for the feedback Lance.

Scott S.
Mar 29, 2016

Thanks Don P. I've spoken with Cheryl Moats and Ive even been to her website, and I'm still not sold on her ability to help me. A red flag with her was that she recommended reselling my unit at an unrealistic amount.

Not sure if I'll be able sell unit or not based off the market.

Scott S.
Mar 29, 2016

The unrealistic price is the biggest red flag. As soon as they tell you that you should run not walk away. She apparently just advertises for her money. She could list it in her local Pennysaver and meet the requirement of her contract . Do your homework and NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you an unrealistic price for your timeshare .

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Mar 29, 2016 11:25 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.