Timeshare Exchanges

Paid maintenance fees, but lost week

May 19, 2016

Hi all,

My Orlando 2/2 week is March 5th every year. In 2016 I didn't pay the maintenance fee until January 26th, and then I forgot to deposit the week with RCI in order to exchange it. Now Diamond Resorts (new owner) is telling me that I lost that 2016 week; can't use it.

Has anyone else had success recovering their week in this type of situation? The funny thing is that I tried to deposit the week in October 2015 but it was returned because my credit card number changed a few times and I forgot to update with the resort. RCI had been calling me in January 2016 but stopped calling me after I made the maintenance fee payment to the resort.

thanks in advance, Tushar

tdhi
May 19, 2016

Generally if you own a fixed week and don't deposit it either in an internal banking system (if available) or an external exchange company like RCI or II, and you don't make arrangements to use it (or rent it), it sits empty and your use for the year is gone. Many systems make you pre-pay your mf in order to bank the week. If you know you aren't going to use it next year, you may want to go ahead and pay the 2017 MF and bank it now.

Unfortunately, with the exception of a few Mexican Timeshares, you have to pay MF whether you use the week or not. Since that is the case you need to make sure you use the week either by staying in your home resort for the week or making alternative arrangements.

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.