Timeshare Exchanges

If I Give up my timeshare do I lose my already booked exchange as well?

Oct 17, 2018

Would like to give up my timeshare by 1-1-19 but have an exchange week booked for 2-14-19. If I no longer have my timeshare do I lose my already booked exchange as well?

Vici F.
Oct 18, 2018

It depends. Usually once deposited the week is yours and the timeshare company can't get it back. If you own at a resort with a corporate exchange account (you don't pay RCI or II directly, you pay your MF and the developer pays the exchange company, then once you give up the timeshare the exchange account goes poof and so does your future exchange. If on the other hand you pay for the exchange account and continue to pay for it up to the date of your exchange you should be fine.

The deposit you used for the exchange, did you already pay MF's on it? So was it a 2018 week or a 2019 week (points) that you already prepaid the MF's? If you did not pay the Mf's on the exchange, your timeshare company may be able to cancel the original deposit which would cancel the exchange.

Also how are you "giving it up" are you giving it back to the resort as part of a program they have? Did you sell it or give it away and does the transfer paperwork say you keep any previous deposits and/or upcoming exchanges? Are you simply going to default?

Tracey S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.