Timeshare Exchanges

Marriott - Aruba

Nov 30, 2018

We just got home from this resort and my husband was ready to purchase a timeshare at the sales meeting. Thankfully, I talked him off a ledge and we left without signing anything. I know we can get deeded resales for much, much less. I'm trying to do my due diligence here and would like honest opinions on the way this specific resort works - getting a 2 bedroom week and having the option to split it into 2 weeks or trading it in for points to use eat other locations. Marriott's fees are crazy but we'd be willing to pay them if the benefits are really as good as they say they are. They told us the points to go to this or that location anywhere in the world would NEVER change. I find that hard to believe.

Also, deeded v RTU? I thought it'd be nice to leave a vacation to my son but now I'm rethinking the idea of being stuck forever with these fees. Please let me know your experiences, thoughts, etc.

Lots of questions, thanks in advance!

Marisa T.
Dec 04, 2018

Hold out & buy Aruba (Marriott owners resale - probably @ Ocean Club) if you intend to return to Aruba frequently. You can then exchange for points when you wish to exchange.

Ted A.
Dec 06, 2018

If you are considering buying a Marriott timeshare. I would advise you to learn as much as possible about timeshares BEFORE purchasing.one. You are wise to come hear. I would also advise you to go to the site Timeshare Users Group (tug2.net) There you will get a wealth of information and there is a section on that site for just Marriott owners and they will be able to share important facts and realities of owning a Marriott timeshare. There is also a Marriott Facebook Group in which you can get lots of information. However, use Timeshare Users Group first.

I will let you know that you cannot use points if you buy a week at Aruba resale. Only a week bought through Marriott can be converted for points. If you want to trade to other properties, you will need to go through an exchange company called Interval International. Which is also now owned by Marriott.

Charles S.
Dec 07, 2018

Thanks for the info.

So if I pick up some else's deeded week in Aruba, I have to use the Interval system to trade it in for points? Are there fees for this? Is it a big deal or not? I have never used the system before.

Thanks!

Marisa T.
Dec 07, 2018

marisat27 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

So if I pick up some else's deeded week in Aruba, I have to use the Interval system to trade it in for points? Are there fees for this? Is it a big deal or not? I have never used the system before.

Thanks!

if you pick up someone else’s points, you can only do a unit for unit trade. You can get two weeks because the two bedroom can be separated into two rooms with one side being a studio like a typical hotel room and the other side being a one bedroom which would include the kitchen and living room area. This is called locking off. Interval International allows you to do this so you could get two weeks for your one week. You could also just use Interval International to exchange it as a two bedroom and get one week in the bigger unit.

You have no option for points with a resale unit. You cannot trade for points with a resale unit. The use of points is not a big deal on these purchases.

Charles S.
Feb 18, 2023

Can I switch my week at Aruba ocean club suite ocean front from august to a week in November

Liz G.
Feb 18, 2023

Can I switch my week at the ocean club from Aug 5 2023 to a week in November

Liz G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.