Nov 30, 2018

We just got home from this resort and my husband was ready to purchase a timeshare at the sales meeting. Thankfully, I talked him off a ledge and we left without signing anything. I know we can get deeded resales for much, much less. I'm trying to do my due diligence here and would like honest opinions on the way this specific resort works - getting a 2 bedroom week and having the option to split it into 2 weeks or trading it in for points to use eat other locations. Marriott's fees are crazy but we'd be willing to pay them if the benefits are really as good as they say they are. They told us the points to go to this or that location anywhere in the world would NEVER change. I find that hard to believe.

Also, deeded v RTU? I thought it'd be nice to leave a vacation to my son but now I'm rethinking the idea of being stuck forever with these fees. Please let me know your experiences, thoughts, etc.

Lots of questions, thanks in advance!

Marisa T.
Dec 10, 2018

Through the years my husband and I have bought several different timeshares. Here are a few nuggets we have learned: 1. Only buy at a location you plan to return to, or make sure it is in an area of high demand (like Maui, Kauai, Orlando, some Caribbean locations). Do your research. 2. The points systems are replacing week systems and actually are better once you understand how they work. 3. If you don't plan to use it or rent it out every year, then don't buy - rent when you need it. The annual dues are expensive if you aren't using or renting the unit. 4. If you have kids and are taking family vacations every year, this can be a great option to make the vacation more affordable. However, once the kids are grown and you're no longer taking as many trips you might be losing money in annual maintenance fees for vacations you no longer use. This is where we are now - trying to sell some of our timeshares.

That being said, Aruba is a great location and we enjoyed our stay at the Marriott Ocean Club a few year's back. I read something on Redweek about how resale purchases of Marriott timeshares does not have the same benefits as purchasing from Marriott. I suggest you look into this so you don't miss out on a benefit you were particularly interested in.

Best Wishes.

Deane L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.