Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Has anyone actually been able to sell their Westgate Park City timeshare?

Jul 27, 2020

I know that Westgate properties typically have little to no worth on the resale market. We do have a floating annual ski week but the kids are about to be out of the house and we will be selling it or deeding it back with the fee. I hesitate to go to the trouble of trying to sell it if it's a hopeless chore. Thank you. John.

John S.
Jul 27, 2020

john6519 wrote:
I know that Westgate properties typically have little to no worth on the resale market. We do have a floating annual ski week but the kids are about to be out of the house and we will be selling it or deeding it back with the fee. I hesitate to go to the trouble of trying to sell it if it's a hopeless chore. Thank you. John.

Unfortunately, Westgate now (quite deliberately) greatly devalues all Westgate ownerships acquired in the secondary (resale) market, specifically by imposing severe restrictions on "resale" owners' reservation eligibility, thereby rendering resale ownerships essentially worthless to subsequent others. I believe that this punitive measure against resale owners has been adopted and imposed by Westgate only in recent years, so your own prior years of successful use and enjoyment may very well have preceded Westgate's adoption of these relatively new restrictive reservation policies for "resale" owners.

Personally, I would forget about trying to sell it (or even trying to give it away for free, for that matter). It would certainly be quicker and cleaner to just pursue a direct "deedback" under Westgate's "Legacy" program. The $900+ Westgate deedback fee, although gratuitous (almost larcenous, actually), would surely involve a lot less time, headache and aggravation for you than trying to accomplish a transfer of ownership on your own --- and maybe never actually succeed in doing so before the next maintenance fee bill arrives. All maintenance fees must be fully paid up to date for any deedback to even be considered by any developer or independent resort, including Westgate.

Good luck, in any case.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jul 29, 2020 09:04 AM

Jul 27, 2020

This was very helpful, and, sadly, what I thought I would learn. Luckily we bought aftermarket and have been able to use the property for our kids as they grew up. Best.

John S.
Jun 10, 2021

john6519 wrote:
This was very helpful, and, sadly, what I thought I would learn. Luckily we bought aftermarket and have been able to use the property for our kids as they grew up. Best.

John, You mentioned you purchased Westgate PC after market, have you personally been able to book without issues? How long have you owned the timeshare and have the rules changed for you during your ownership? This would be a good resort for our ski vacations as my kids are just beginning to ski, but hesitant to spend the upfront cost if I can't book home weeks.

SY
Aug 21, 2023

Per Westgate’s recommendation I have contacted a company, “Timeshares Only” about selling my Westgate property that I purchased in 2013 or 14. This company is endorsed by ARDA….website arda-roc.org. I have been scammed previously by sending an upfront advertising fee. This company is again offering to list my property and also offers to rent it out in the meantime until it sells. The advertising fee up front is approx. $700 and selling price between $10,000 and $13,000. I have checked everything I can think of to check and it seems legit but concerned about it being another scan. Do you have any knowledge about this?

Carla B.
Aug 22, 2023

carlab242 wrote:
Per Westgate’s recommendation I have contacted a company, “Timeshares Only” about selling my Westgate property that I purchased in 2013 or 14. This company is endorsed by ARDA….website arda-roc.org. I have been scammed previously by sending an upfront advertising fee. This company is again offering to list my property and also offers to rent it out in the meantime until it sells. The advertising fee up front is approx. $700 and selling price between $10,000 and $13,000. I have checked everything I can think of to check and it seems legit but concerned about it being another scan. Do you have any knowledge about this?

The unfortunate truth is that most Westgate timeshares have very little value in the resale market, sometimes none at all, for the reasons described in some detail within this very thread. No one on Planet Earth is going to pay you anywhere in the "thousands" for a Wesrtgate resale, no matter what you paid originally. $10k or more in the resale market is just a pipe dream, quite frankly. Hundreds? Maybe.... if you're very lucky. Thousands? Never gonna happen.

If you discover that you get only "crickets" from a Timeshares Only "listing", you can always consider pursuing a "deedback" with Westgate, under their program (which they call Legacy). It will surely cost you $1,800 or more and all fees must be paid up to date and with no loan balance, but it would be a quick, clean, permanent and lawful "exit". However, people have reported that Westgate "cherry picks" what they will accept as deedbacks, so your particular week may or may not be "eligible" for Legacy consideration. Don't shoot the messenger; I'm just offering some honest (even if unwelcome) information and food for thought. Good luck!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 23, 2023 11:37 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.