Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

High pressure tactics, timeshare exit

Aug 29, 2020

My fiancé and I were a part of a high pressure timeshare scheme in Orlando where several false promises and lies were told to us, as they held our 3 children captive in a tiny room. We were told the presentation was 90 minutes and we were there for 4 + hours-until after 5pm. We were finally exhausted and just wanted to get our children out of the room and agreed to sign for the lowest amount of points. We were promised at least 10 days / year of a trip for 16000k. When we started to look to try to book something, we can only really get 2-5 days depending on the time of year and location! We did take out a mortgage and still owe money. Plus, just received the bill for the maintenance fees which were $200 more than explained to us. We feel like the fact that they kept or 3 children in a room so long and didn’t properly go over the contract and disclose information makes this extremely unlawful and unethical. What options do we have?

Sara B.

Last edited by sarab330 on Aug 29, 2020 01:57 PM

Aug 29, 2020

When did you sign the contract? If you did so within the last 10 days, you have the legal right to rescind your purchase and get a full refund. Just follow the instructions for rescission that were given to you in your owner's package.

If you have passed your 10-day rescission period, then things will be a little tougher. You would have to answer a few questions first. What was the original purchase price? How much do you still owe? Have you paid your maintenance fees?

Whatever you do, do not pay any company or law firm that claims it can sell your unit or can get you out of your contract. Those companies are scams.

Lance C.
Aug 31, 2020

Yes it has been well over 10 days unfortunately. We owe 15k and just received the maintenance fee bill which was $245 more than they said it would be. We are just now looking into it because the amount of points we bought are useless for a vacation. We were lied to about the amount of time we would get. I am doing some research about the FDUTPA Act which was definitely a violation of the company. If you do not recommend using a law firm, what other avenues are there? I am positive this cannot be resold, even if we owned it.

Sara B.
Aug 31, 2020

I'm not sure what the FDUTPA Act is but even if the sales people violated that act, you would have to prove it and what concrete proof do you have?

As for your options, your best bet, which right now is the least of all evils, is to just stop making any more payments and let it go into foreclosure. You will face a barrage of collection calls and letters. Also, possibly a hit on your credit score or rating, but you will at least stop the financial bleeding and not pay $15,000 further into something that you are not going to use.

A reason why I would not recommend using a law firm is because it won't help you unless you have concrete proof. As well, it will probably charge you thousands of dollars to tell you what I just told you for free.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.