Nov 30, 2020

We are older; retiring and will never go to our time-share again (we never went ever!!). We got our most recent maintenance invoice and it's 4X what the original maintenance was. Anyone have experience in just not paying their maintenance? There does not seen to be a way out of deeding this back to them and we do not have any extreme reason of hardship other than this is too expensive and we do not wish to keep this.

Beverly F.
Nov 30, 2020

If you are older and retiring, avoiding paying maintenance fees is one option you have. You will likely face a credit score hit and some harassing collection phone calls and letters.

If your maintenance fees are paid, you can ask the resort's Homeowners' Association if it will take your unit back, maybe with you agreeing to pay closing costs. You may also want to say that you will not be paying any more in maintenance fees so it would be best for everyone if the HOA takes your unit back.

As for "Anyone have experience in just not paying their maintenance", there's a thread on Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG") that discusses what has happened to various owners who stopped paying maintenance fees:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/timeshare-default-credit-report-collection-tracking.304138/

Another option would be to list your unit for giveaway here on RedWeek. Other reputable sites you can try for this are Craigslist (just be prepared for a lot of spammers and scammers), E-Bay, My Resorts Network, or the aforementioned TUG which has a Bargain Deals section which allows you for free to advertise that you want to give your unit away.

Just remember not to contact any of these companies or law firms that claim they can exit or cancel your timeshare.

Lance C.
Feb 04, 2021

I wondered if anyone could help shed some light on whether or not I should continue to try to get rid of my timeshare and not stop payments on my maintenance fees with fear of legal action by the resort. I have contacted two different groups so far and I am not very trusting because the difference between the two don't add up. I first contacted Timeshare Freedom Group and they said it would cost $3595 for their attorney located in California to get rid of my timeshare within 6-24 months and if unsuccessful, I will get my money back and money up front and can finance up to 12 months with a deposit of $1500 and a 2.5 % finance fee if financing the balance. RAG (Resort Advisory Group) told me it would cost $3000 for them to draw up a letter to send to the management group threatening to cancel my timeshare and this would happen within 6 months because their reputation proceeds them or my money back. Otherwise it would cost $6000 for the attorney to cancel the timeshare and this could take up to a year. They also advertise on their website that they utilize a third party escrow, but when talking to the Senior Analyst he said that would cost me 20% of the money I put in the escrow and that he recommends using a credit card for my payment. We never purchased this timeshare we only had it transferred to our name from another couple and have paid annual maintenance fees from $540- 2009 to $1040 in 2021. I'm afraid these will continue to go up and we don't even use the home resort, we always exchange it out because there is nothing to do in New Bern, NC. Sincerely, MA

Marianne A.
Feb 04, 2021

DO NOT PAY ONE CENT to ANY parasitic, deceitful so-called "Exit Company". All they will do (if they do anything at all) will be to string you along until the resort forecloses anyhow. Those parasites will then just say "You're out now, just like we promised you, so what's your beef?" You obviously don't need to PAY good money to some thieving bunch of parasites only to ultimately experience foreclosure anyhow.

The truth of the matter is that NO ONE can magically extract you from the legal obligations associated with a valid and lawful contract into which you once entered of your own free will. Period, Amen. By acquiring a timeshare, whether purchased in the resale market or from a developer (or even if obtained for free from someone else), by agreeing to assume ownership you essentially agree to accept all of the associated legal obligations of ownership.

Have you contacted the resort directly to see if you can negotiate a "deedback"? You won't know unless you ask.

Have you attempted to just give the timeshare away for free (by offering it as a "Bargain Deal" on the Timeshare Users Group web site or here on RedWeek)?

If you have no success with the above (no cost) efforts, you can choose to just stop paying the maintenance fees and let the resort ultimately foreclose, but please don't flush your hard earned money down the toilet by paying a single penny to ANY (so-called) "exit company". That singularly unwise decision would just be a complete waste of money.

There is an old saying that "A fool and his money are soon parted". Don't become someone who proves that saying to be true, putting money into the pockets of any thieving so-called "exit company", as they laugh all the way to the bank.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 06, 2021 07:19 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.