Oct 05, 2021

I purchased 2K points for my family of 7 four years ago and have used the heck out of it. Between the points, earned bonvoy points, interval certificates we have been on 16 trips for 82 nights. I'm one of the few people who seem to enjoy the points and want more. The only regret is I purchased retail and didn't know about resale. So I have a few questions I haven't been able to find the current answer to in the forums.

1) The fees Marriott charges for buying resale seem to have evolved quite a bit over the years. To my understanding the current fees are about $3/point on top of my resale purchase. Is that correct and are there any other fees I should be aware of? 2) There are a lot of Jan use year for sale. I read a lot of those are converted weeks and when you purchase you get the original week and not the points. Is this true or outdated information? If true how can you tell if you're buying points vs a week? 3) I currently own a Sep use year (we travel off season, beauty of homeschooling). If I were to buy a different month can I combine them into the same use year or am I stuck juggling different use years? 4) How long is the process of buying resale? 5) Are there any drawbacks of buying used MVC points like there is with Disney?

Kenny V.
Oct 12, 2021

I'm interested in buying resale as well. Following for answers to this post. Will welcome any feedback and tips for purchasing.

Rebecca L.
Oct 29, 2021

Good question. I am also interested to know the answers to your questions Kenny.

Nalong M.
Nov 07, 2021

I can't answer all your questions, but can tell you what I experienced having bought 1000 points online here.

1) Marriott has rights of first refusal. My first two offers didn't go through, but the 3rd one did. Marriott does charge a $3 per point fee + $95 admin fee so you can add those points to your portfolio. 2) I currently have all Jan use years, so I made sure I was purchasing points with a Jan 1 use year. I don't know how it works if you buy something different. Sorry

Unfortunately, the sellers didn't pay their annual fee so I got a notice that my MVC account was not in good standing due to not paying 2021 maintenance fees. However, after sending a nasty gram to the title company, I got that taken care of.

Ken R.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.