General Discussion

Marriott resales

Jun 11, 2022

Would like to buy resale at Marriott in Hilton head from owner. What are “ins and outs”?

Betsy S.
Jun 11, 2022

betsys129 wrote:
Would like to buy resale at Marriott in Hilton head from owner. What are “ins and outs”?

Ins and outs of what? Marriott? Hilton Head? Buying resale instead of developer purchase? Owning a timeshare in general?

Lance C.
Jun 22, 2022

Any advise on process on how to put my Marriott Oceana Palms timeshare on for sale. Do I need to notify Marriott. Should I request use of my week or turn it to points while trying to sell. Etc.

Maria H.
Jun 22, 2022

Don't have much time but will share this quickly. So, ask what I miss.

Yes, weeks are great purchases and I have bought several. We originally bought from Marriott, then bought some points, and now only buy in the resale market. The difference is that purchases in the resale market are not qualified to exchange for Vacation Club Points or Bonvoy points. However, you can deposit in Interval for trading, use the week, rent it out, etc. And, you will pay about 25% as much as you would need to acquire enough points to get the same reservation. Maintenance fees are less on an equivalent basis for weeks owned.

The other thing you should consider is that it is very difficult to get prime weeks using points at great resorts such as Grand Ocean, Surf Watch, etc. The Trust does not own enough weeks there to satisfy the demand from points owners and must rely on week owners to deposit their weeks for points to meet the demand. Week owners like me, want that resort every year. So, owning a week at the resort you want (in HIlton Head) guarantees you will get a reservation in the Platinum week season. "Not so with points." In my opinion, the points system adds flexibility (pick the number of days, etc.), but you can only get what the Trust has or can get (and it's not easy or predictable).

My final suggestions - buy resale and enjoy. But buy great seasons at great "high demand" resorts. If you want to go to another resort, you can just rent out your great/high demand week for cash and rent what you want through RedWeek.

Den

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.