Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying timeshares (even resale)

Feb 05, 2007

This is so simple and I think like most timeshare owners that I'm fairly smart about this. When we rebought our timeshare I did make very good deal but after having Dale explain things to me I wonder why I didn't think of this!

Dale a very good friend of ours said that these companies that get you to pay to take their unit works same way. They send thousands of e-mails out and get 100 replies from interested owners.

He ask me why we haven't bought our second unit we want at the Ridge. I told him I keep eye out on these sites and if I see something then I will see.

He pointed out my first error, that I am looking for ads for the unit and then would contact the seller who probley is over priced and go back and forth and just waste my time. His way is same as his vacation time and that is to send few e-mails to many sellers at same time with my offer and wait for owners to e-mail me and they already know my terms. They e-mail for only three reasons, To try and work a deal or to give you a bad time or to sell their unit! This is why your answer is always NO THANK YOU! and move on.

He always tells me to remember these people want to sell or dump their unit and you have upper hand and to never give it up. This doesn't change if it is low end or top of the line timeshares. People want out and there are always owners that need out now for what ever reason.

Also when you contact a owner your dealing on their terms and when they contact you they are working on your terms!

Of coarse Dale isn't buying but this system works every year for his family vacation.

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Feb 13, 2007 10:09 PM

Feb 06, 2007

What is funny is Dale says its like shopping Albertsons for food. They start about three months before they want to go and like walking through the market he surfs the timeshare sites and picks what he wants and goes to check out.

He tells me that the three month window works because owners are starting to wake up to the fact that they don't have the only timeshare for rent.

Most owners will start really looking at all offers before just saying no way. Many owners turn down offer thinking they have a lot of time left and unless they own timeshare in one of the top areas that is in top demand then they may not see another offer after his offer.

They have been to Hawaii twice in last few years and they only stays in the top of the line timeshares. Dale told me he gets a kick out of the owners that put their nose in the air about his offer and see's them crying about being stuck with their unit couple weeks from use date and it happens alot. He said he always gets one of these owners e-mailing him again at last minute to make deal!

Now we know what he says "NO THANKS" then goes on vacation!

Good example is some post on here of owners stuck with their units and out fee's to try and rent plus there MF. Now its to late to bank so its now" use or lose" for owners!

I would guess that for every owner that rents out his unit there will be at least a 1000 owners that get stuck. Get stuck kind of a funny term because they can still use the unit for their own family. Isn't this the reason they bought the timeshare anyway! PHIL

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Feb 13, 2007 10:12 PM

Feb 06, 2007

deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:
I am interested in purchasing the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. I am fairly new at the timeshare concept and will appreicate all opinions. I am quite impressed with the SPG program and am already a gold member.

I am wondering if I should wait for the North Villas resales to become more available or purchase "pre owned" ones on the existing buildings. I am also wondering if I am better off purchasing the "resale" ones from the developer. I do realize that the price will be higher the then general resale market but it may offer some perks that I may be interested in. Also, I find the annual fees + taxes being almost $2000 is quite high, I am wondering if I am better off just renting. Thanks for you thoughts on this.

This is what I have done, I purchased a resale at a location that I wanted. I used an online timeshare resale site. I had not one problem with them. The transfer of the deed was done with ease by them and I received it in a timely manner. I also, got this time share at a very reasonable price. My yearly fees are managable. The unit I purchased was exactly as it was told on this resale site and they made sure I understood what I was purchasing. I purchased a one bedroom in a specific location within this resort and that is exactly what I got. This Timeshare is a Starwood Resort that is also a five star Resort. I have enjoyed it two years now and I am headed for our third. The unit rents for triple what I pay in Maintenace fees in a week. The only thing with purchasing a resale with the Starwood resorts that I found the hard way is that you aren't able to use there own Starwood Network for exchange of your unit for another Starwood Resort in another location. This is Starwood's rules. Anyone with a repurchase not from the Starwood resort, such as a repurchase from a past owner you do not get the Starwood transfer or upgrade benefits. Which as an owner I feel is wrong. I do have a deeded timeshare with a red week and it also can be used as a float. But, I am not allowed to use the Starwood vacation network. So I just use RCI. That is the only drawback that I have found. I hope this helped you.

Deborah, My wife and I have been interested for some time in purchasing a timeshare resale as well....developer's want way too much!! Can you pass on the name/website for the online sales agency you used. Was the online agency upfront w/ telling you some about developer perks you would not get by buying a resale?? We're personally thinking of one of the Marriott timeshares in Orlando, or maybe another location. Thanks much, Steve

Steve A.

Last edited by marty8084 on Feb 07, 2007 12:58 AM

Feb 28, 2007

vlahos wrote:
i did! the Business Bureau clearly could not understand how a comany did not care. ...TIMESHARE ADVENTURE. SELL FEE. 450. TIMESHARE ADVENTURE DID NOT CARE ABOUT ME A SENOIR.

...IT WAS BETTER FOR A SENOIR TO LOSS THEN TIMESHARE ADVENTURE TO LOSS. LOOK. SOUNTHERN CALIFORNIA BEACH CLUB, OCEANSIDE.

I am a senior, too. I think the BBB is great. However, they won't go to bat for you against a criminal. This is where your state's Attorney General comes in. They usually have a toll-free number for us to call with a complaint. They would love to go after these guys.

Another thing, in all due respect, if the spelling, punctuation, and grammar of your post is any indication of your general ability to communicate and to work with financial and legal matters, Darling, you need an assistant to help you with these con men. I don't know whom you would chose, but I think I'd like one of those cute, young Marines (there are plenty in Palm Springs) in his dress uniform. At that thought, I feel a swoon coming on.

C.

Carrie S.
Mar 19, 2007

Has anyone bought a timeshare from eBay? I am looking at a couple Southern Californa beach and Palm Springs timeshares. The prices are lower than $500.

Some are points and some are not. I am definitely looking for a floating week type.

Any suggestions? I am new to timeshares.

Thanks,

Amy

Amy W.
Mar 19, 2007

Ebay has some very good deals on resales. I highly recommend them, but be sure to look at the seller's ratings.

amyw123 wrote:
Has anyone bought a timeshare from eBay? I am looking at a couple Southern Californa beach and Palm Springs timeshares. The prices are lower than $500.

Some are points and some are not. I am definitely looking for a floating week type.

Thanks,

Amy

R P.
Mar 20, 2007

amyw123 wrote:

Thanks,

Amy

I purchased my 154,000 points Fairfield Grand Desert timeshare on ebay for $2,000. Owner died and estate was selling just to settle up with heirs. Cheapest re-sale I see on Redweek for this property is $6,000+.

My daughter purchased a one week Florida timeshare on ebay for $10 two months ago!! Seller just wanted to get out from under newly increased maintenance fee.

Archie B.
Mar 21, 2007

Amy asked: >> Has anyone bought a timeshare from eBay? I am looking at a couple Southern Californa beach and Palm Springs timeshares. The prices are lower than $500. <<

Price alone is not enough information. You also need to ascertain whether there are unpaid maintenance fees, unpaid "special assessments", unpaid late fees. Someone will have to assume responsibility for those debts before ownership can actually be transferred -- any guesses on who that might be ?

You could easily have a "winning bid" on a timeshare for $1.00 on eBay, only to then promptly discover that in order to acquire clear title you then need to spend a few thousand dollars to clear up the liens and unpaid debts, then a few hundred more on top of that for closing costs, if you use a closing company. Do not be deluded by being able to purchase for pennies ---there is likely a good reason WHY it's so cheap! A "winning" bid might well quickly become a "losing" proposition.

I'm not trying to be overly negative, I'm merely just suggesting a reality check and a thoroughh investigation of the facts. If a "deal" sounds too good to be true, it often is......

Caveat Emptor --- Buyer Beware!

KC
Mar 21, 2007

Steve asked : >> Was the online agency upfront w/ telling you some about developer perks you would not get by buying a resale?? <<

Aside from maybe throwing in a "free" RCI or II membership (either of which you can buy for yourself without the developer for less than $100 per year), what possible "perks" can a developer offer a buyer which that buyer wouldn't acquire anyhow right along with any resale purchase?

NONE, I respectfully submit as a general rule, except for possible access to limited "in-house" trading options (and how valuable is that access anhow?).

To pay big bucks to a developer in this day and age for imaginary benefits which are equally available in any purchase in the resale market, at a fraction of the cost, is just financial folly in my opinion. But it's your money....

KC
Mar 21, 2007

Very good information Ken. That's why due diligence before buying is so important.

However there are some Ebay sellers that are companies that have taken over timeshares from clients that have paid them $3000 - + just to get rid of it for whatever reason. These companies won't take timeshares where there are liens or maintenance fees due.

I don't condone this type of business, but they do offer some very good deals on Ebay for $1 or very minimal costs and they come out way ahead financially by doing so.

ken1193 wrote:
Price alone is not enough information. You also need to ascertain whether there are unpaid maintenance fees, unpaid "special assessments", unpaid late fees. Someone will have to assume responsibility for those debts before ownership can actually be transferred -- any guesses on who that might be ?

You could easily have a "winning bid" on a timeshare for $1.00 on eBay, only to then promptly discover that in order to acquire clear title you then need to spend a few thousand dollars to clear up the liens and unpaid debts, then a few hundred more on top of that for closing costs, if you use a closing company. Do not be deluded by being able to purchase for pennies ---there is likely a good reason WHY it's so cheap! A "winning" bid might well quickly become a "losing" proposition. Beware!

R P.
Mar 21, 2007

debra451 wrote:
deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:
I am interested in purchasing the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. I am fairly new at the timeshare concept and will appreicate all opinions. I am quite impressed with the SPG program and am already a gold member.

I am wondering if I should wait for the North Villas resales to become more available or purchase "pre owned" ones on the existing buildings. I am also wondering if I am better off purchasing the "resale" ones from the developer. I do realize that the price will be higher the then general resale market but it may offer some perks that I may be interested in. Also, I find the annual fees + taxes being almost $2000 is quite high, I am wondering if I am better off just renting. Thanks for you thoughts on this.

This is what I have done, I purchased a resale at a location that I wanted. I used an online timeshare resale site. I had not one problem with them. The transfer of the deed was done with ease by them and I received it in a timely manner. I also, got this time share at a very reasonable price. My yearly fees are managable. The unit I purchased was exactly as it was told on this resale site and they made sure I understood what I was purchasing. I purchased a one bedroom in a specific location within this resort and that is exactly what I got. This Timeshare is a Starwood Resort that is also a five star Resort. I have enjoyed it two years now and I am headed for our third. The unit rents for triple what I pay in Maintenace fees in a week. The only thing with purchasing a resale with the Starwood resorts that I found the hard way is that you aren't able to use there own Starwood Network for exchange of your unit for another Starwood Resort in another location. This is Starwood's rules. Anyone with a repurchase not from the Starwood resort, such as a repurchase from a past owner you do not get the Starwood transfer or upgrade benefits. Which as an owner I feel is wrong. I do have a deeded timeshare with a red week and it also can be used as a float. But, I am not allowed to use the Starwood vacation network. So I just use RCI. That is the only drawback that I have found. I hope this helped you.

Deborah - Which Starwood Resort did you purchase at? I have found conflicting information on the use of the Starwood Vacation Network and StarPoints. I was just curious because one of the sources said it had to do with which resort you purchase. Thanks, Debbie

Deb, the conflicting info you're getting, is truely conflicting! It doesn't matter which starwood resort you purchase, you aren't going to get to use their network or their points unless you buy it directly from them. I own two weeks there (love the place)and bought them resale, so I know from experience. So, if you really want those in on their point or network program, you will have to pay a little bit more and buying it thru them.

Randall B.
Mar 23, 2007

Last year we purchased a pre-built luxury "Royal" timeshare for $20,000 every other year from the developer. We felt we got a great deal. We love it and it's RTU for 50 yrs, plus maint fees of $725, it amounts to about $1800 per week for our vacations (fixed week). Then I found Redweek and bought "Grand Mayan" for $6,000 (total) 1 brdrm. I really thought we did good. Then I found E-Bay and bought two 2-bdrm mayan palaces for less than $6,000 (total) and 1 palm springs 5 star for $1000 (total) Those last three have maint. fees of around $450. We couldn't live in a place for that price!! If I could buy 52 weeks at $1000 each and live in a beautiful Palm Springs Resort for $450 week including all utilities and maid service, Retirement Here We Come!! In answer to your question "E-Bay is the only way" just be sure you check ratings for the seller and the escrow company. Also learn how to do advanced searches with E-bay to find the average high and low prices of the timeshare your interested in.

Orville F.
Mar 27, 2007

I just wanted to let everyone know that you can buy a timeshare from a company that gets donated timeshares. It is fairly inexpensive and a great way to donate to a variety of causes. Both the seller and buyer are assisting great causes that the buyer picks. If anyone wants information, let me know. I donated my timeshare and within about 60 days they had a someone who is buying my timeshare. If you look at a search engine under donate a timeshare, some sites will come up. I can provide you with a phone number if you like.

Vicky J.

Vicky J.
Mar 27, 2007

The internet address is www.donateforacause.org however all liens and maintenance fees must be paid to date before they will take a timeshare, and I believe there are some timeshares they won't take at all.

If interested in donating or buying check out their webpage above.

vickyj5 wrote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that you can buy a timeshare from a company that gets donated timeshares. It is fairly inexpensive and a great way to donate to a variety of causes. Both the seller and buyer are assisting great causes that the buyer picks. If anyone wants information, let me know. I donated my timeshare and within about 60 days they had a someone who is buying my timeshare. If you look at a search engine under donate a timeshare, some sites will come up. I can provide you with a phone number if you like.

Vicky J.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Mar 27, 2007 03:40 PM

Mar 27, 2007

The list of timeshares www.donateforacause.org will not take are here:

http://donateforacause.org/rejects.php

R P.
Apr 09, 2007

Does anybody know if Disney Villas Vacations ever go up for resale to buy a timeshare there?

Joan P.
Apr 09, 2007

Ok maybe somebody here can help me with some information. I understand all the pluses and minuses of TS (mostly negatives). My wife and I usually take a week or two each year to travel, often to Cancun MX. We have sat through sales pitches at Disney, Hilton and most recently Omni Cancun (twice). Im not to excited about any of the Vacation Clubs as they call them but there are some things we like about each one. The Omni we can burn as many weeks as we like, they just take them off the end of the term, Disney it's the point system we like along with Disneys low pressure pitch and honest reputation. We had finally decided to just pass on the idea of TS ownership for now, until I joined RedWeek and found a floating week for a crazy low price at a resort we love. At the price I can't lose but we are stumped as to how to exchange funds in the sale? I called and verified the seller actually owned what he claimed at this resort. Now the owner wants to sell and even lowered the price some more <Grin> but wants me to sign papers he sends me then return to him with a check which he said he will hold until Resorts Advantage has made the name change on the official documents. I don't like the idea of sending money to someone until my name is on the correct papers. Does anyone know of a reputable company that handles this kind of transaction for sellers and buyers? I really wouldn't consider buying if this were not at a resort that we will use regularly and save about 200 per night on our stays.

Darrell H.
Apr 09, 2007

darrell132 wrote:
Ok maybe somebody here can help me with some information. I understand all the pluses and minuses of TS (mostly negatives). My wife and I usually take a week or two each year to travel, often to Cancun MX. We have sat through sales pitches at Disney, Hilton and most recently Omni Cancun (twice). Im not to excited about any of the Vacation Clubs as they call them but there are some things we like about each one. The Omni we can burn as many weeks as we like, they just take them off the end of the term, Disney it's the point system we like along with Disneys low pressure pitch and honest reputation. We had finally decided to just pass on the idea of TS ownership for now, until I joined RedWeek and found a floating week for a crazy low price at a resort we love. At the price I can't lose but we are stumped as to how to exchange funds in the sale? I called and verified the seller actually owned what he claimed at this resort. Now the owner wants to sell and even lowered the price some more <Grin> but wants me to sign papers he sends me then return to him with a check which he said he will hold until Resorts Advantage has made the name change on the official documents. I don't like the idea of sending money to someone until my name is on the correct papers. Does anyone know of a reputable company that handles this kind of transaction for sellers and buyers? I really wouldn't consider buying if this were not at a resort that we will use regularly and save about 200 per night on our stays.
On our first purchase we just used the U.S. Mail, just like you are describing. The seller faxed a copy of his notorized Assignment of Contract (perhaps in your case it will be a deed) we faxed him a copy of our checking acct. funds and both of us faxed copies of our drivers license and receipts for overnight mail. The idea was that if either he or I did not recieve our package by noon the next day then either of us could cancel check or transfer. But we were lucky and all went very smothly. He cashed the check and we finished the paprework and mailed it to the resort with another check. Our second experience was with Timeshare Services Inc. in Orlando. They recorded the deed, took care of escrow and notified the resort as well as keeping in contact with us. their # is 407-370-2373. Our third experience was with Resort Closings Inc. Very Slow. and our fourth is with Timeshare Freedom , Inc. in GA 800-579-7005. The gals that work and answer there don't seem really knowledgable, however, I asked for a supervisor and I got faster service than with anyone else, I got more information and I got my package the next day with a postage paid fed-ex package to return. So far, they're great. Good luck and congratulations on your new purchase, Deena

Orville F.
Apr 10, 2007

I would go through a closing company as they hold all funds until the transaction is complete. A very reputable company is www.timesharetransfer.com

I would never sell or buy a timeshare without a closing company involved. I believe that timesharetransfer.com charges $300 for a simple closing, but they may offer escrow services without full closing for a lesser fee. Check out their webpage.

darrell132 wrote:
At the price I can't lose but we are stumped as to how to exchange funds in the sale? I called and verified the seller actually owned what he claimed at this resort. Now the owner wants to sell and even lowered the price some more <Grin> but wants me to sign papers he sends me then return to him with a check which he said he will hold until Resorts Advantage has made the name change on the official documents. I don't like the idea of sending money to someone until my name is on the correct papers. Does anyone know of a reputable company that handles this kind of transaction for sellers and buyers? I really wouldn't consider buying if this were not at a resort that we will use regularly and save about 200 per night on our stays.

R P.
Apr 10, 2007

darrell, as far as Disney timeshares go, they are expensive to purchase, but they do hold their value unlike 99% of other timeshares. There are Disney resales on Redweek under Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

If I had the money I would love to own a Disney timeshare as you're right in the middle of everything including transportation from one park to another. You don't even need a car unless you care to venture off of the Disney grounds.

We stayed on Disney property once at one of their themed hotels and enjoyed it very much. This themed hotel had it's own food court with a variety of foods to choose from, a lounge that also served food, an activities building and the trolley picked people up at one of the many bus stops around the hotel.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.