Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

How to get rid of a timeshare you no longer want ....

Oct 31, 2007

marcg35 wrote:
I have a timeshare I want to get rid of. I am new to this site and recieved a phone call from Omega today and decided to research the company. I now know to tell them to take a hike. Anyway, is there a place, not a charity that will take 3 months to process the timeshare, but a place I can just give my timeshare away? Is there someone willing to take it for free? I dont want to pay closing costs but I also dont want to pay maintenance costs again next year. The timeshare is deeded, paid for, week 25 in Ft. Lauderdale. What is the fastest way to get rid of it?

Good luck because there are many owners with your same problem.

I have stated this before but will again for you!

First thing to try is use Craigslist which is free and you can list as many ads as you want all over the country. You can add pictures if you like and have all mail go through them and only deal with people you like!

Another idea is join Tug for $15.00 for a year and use the New Classified Ad Program. You can list your timeshare for free up to max of $25.00. State how you are handling the cost and see what happens. They get thousands of hits a day on the Bargan Basement forum where you would list.

Also if your a member of Redweek you could list here. You might ask Marty if there is a min price. I say this because you will tick some people off if you list your unit for $1.00 or free and they are listing for few thousand dollars.

This will tick them off but they aren't paying your bills!

GOOD LUCK! PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Oct 31, 2007 10:14 PM

Nov 01, 2007

marcg35 wrote:
I have a timeshare I want to get rid of. I am new to this site and recieved a phone call from Omega today and decided to research the company. I now know to tell them to take a hike. Anyway, is there a place, not a charity that will take 3 months to process the timeshare, but a place I can just give my timeshare away? Is there someone willing to take it for free? I dont want to pay closing costs but I also dont want to pay maintenance costs again next year. The timeshare is deeded, paid for, week 25 in Ft. Lauderdale. What is the fastest way to get rid of it?

You could add it to RedWeek.com for $0 but be sure to explain in the "Detailed" area of your posting what the situation is. Sometimes these types of postings are flagged because of the price and we check up on them so if that's the case just let us know that yes, you are giving it away.

Best of luck!

Marty

Marty F
Nov 01, 2007

You could also list it on Ebay (real estate, timeshares) for $1. I would think that someone would love to have a free week 25 (prime red time) in Ft. Lauderdale.

R P.
Nov 01, 2007

marty8084 wrote:
You could add it to RedWeek.com for $0 but be sure to explain in the "Detailed" area of your posting what the situation is. Sometimes these types of postings are flagged because of the price and we check up on them so if that's the case just let us know that yes, you are giving it away.

Best of luck!

Marty, is there any reason Redweek doesn't start a Bargan Basement section for its members?

Something in the range of the $25.00 or less for sale type forum!

Marty

Phil L.
Nov 02, 2007

Marcg35,

You might still reconsider donating it to a charity. Depending on the tax bracket you're in and the amount of donation credit you receive you might actually end up with positive cash in your pocket.

If you want to just give it away, think about the buyers side. You say you'll give it away, but tell them to pay closing costs, transfer fees, etc. that can amount to over $1,000 sometimes. If you place an ad anywhere and are willing to cover all those costs to get rid of it, make sure you say so in the ad. Something like "All closing and transfer costs paid by the seller" or "We will pay EVERYTHING!" or something similar to get their attention.

There are several resellers that skim through those want ads listed above looking for steals they can make a profit on. If they see it, they may give you a call as well. A lot depends on the resort you have. Only the prime ones are worth the trouble to most resellers.

Dr. Ken Rich

Ken R.
Nov 02, 2007

Hi marcg 35,

Have you asked your resort if they will accept your timeshare as a "deed back"? Some resorts will take back unwanted weeks if they believe they, or a sales agent with whom they have a business connection, can resell the week to a new owner. A resort's main concern is that the weeks (or points) are owned by people who will pay the annual maintenance fees on time each year. It's worth asking, if you have not already done so. By the way, which resort is it?

Marie M.
Nov 03, 2007

phill12 wrote:
marty8084 wrote:

Best of luck!

Marty, is there any reason Redweek doesn't start a Bargan Basement section for its members?

Something in the range of the $25.00 or less for sale type forum!

Marty

Hi Phil,

No, we don't have anything like that. To be honest, I don't think there are that many out there that are competely serious about giving their timeshare away or for a very small sum. When I check on these postings many tell me that they only put the low price to get someone interested which is not appropriate. For now, there seems to be plenty of charity websites where people can give their timeshares away.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F
Nov 05, 2007

I have not asked them if they would deed it back. It is Silver Seas in Ft. Lauderdale and I am serious about getting rid of it. I am a teacher and my schedule does not allow me to trade it in with RCI and the like and get a decent week. When I was a member of RCI, I never once got the place I wanted to go. If you do take this off my hands, RCI will give you 2 weeks for a one week trade in.

Marc G.
Nov 06, 2007

marcg35 wrote:
I have not asked them if they would deed it back. It is Silver Seas in Ft. Lauderdale and I am serious about getting rid of it. I am a teacher and my schedule does not allow me to trade it in with RCI and the like and get a decent week. When I was a member of RCI, I never once got the place I wanted to go. If you do take this off my hands, RCI will give you 2 weeks for a one week trade in.

Silver Seas is a decent resort. Do you own a studio unit or one bedroom? You should be able to sell it via ads here at Redweek, and possibly at The Timeshare Users Group web site: www.tug2.net and/or www.myresortnetwork.com.

A few months ago I saw a "bidding war" on Ebay for a Week 5 studio at Silver Seas.

If you would like to go to southeast Florida for President's week or some other Spring break weeks, you should be able to easily accomplish it via an RCI "internal exchange" if you deposit your week early (two years in advance).

One of the many weeks I own is total "junk". It wasn't always that way but it has been junk for the last several years. I know I can't even donate it to charity. But by learning the ins and outs of RCI, I have been able to get excellent exchanges for that week--like the Manhattan Club (full one bedroom, not a studio) in May 2007, and a beautiful 2 bedroom lock-off unit in Newport Rhode Island in July 2007 (prime time).

I hope you decide to put a bit more effort into selling the week or using it more effectively for trading. But if you are not willing to do that, the first thing you should do is see if your resort will accept it as a deed back, or if they can recommend a reliable local salesperson. Do not pay any upfront fees. Use only a sales person who works on commission and receives nothing unless and until he/she sells your week.

Unfortunately there are many timeshare owners who have worthless weeks. But you are not one of them!

Marie M.
Nov 06, 2007

Silver Seas is a Daily managed resort. It is worth something. I agree with Jen. You need to learn how to use the system.

I can't believe you are unable to rent it for more than maintance. ( Fl maint fees are high, however).

Right next door to the St Regis & the Casablanca Cafe one block N ( Along with the Marriott Beach Place), the Hilton, Starwoods Yankee Trader, the Atlantic, The W.

And with ocean views..... and the water taxi stop in the back...( provides unlimited service for a full day or night for $11.00!! ) That water taxi provides service to tons of educational things...just great.

A few years ago, I know the office took back weeks. They had some for us to buy....maybe Daily changed their policy?

Kenneth K.
Nov 07, 2007

I have my timeshare listed on here for sale has anyone actually sold one using this site i hav'nt had 1 bite yet?

Thomas G L.
Nov 08, 2007

toml85 wrote:
I have my timeshare listed on here for sale has anyone actually sold one using this site i hav'nt had 1 bite yet?

Yes, I sold nine timeshares on Redweek, MyResortNetwork and Bidshares. The goal is to price it so that the market (buyer) will be interested. Many people price their resales far too high. It doesn't matter what you paid for your timeshare initially (rather from the developer or resale) it's what the market (buyer) will pay that counts. However, some weeks can't even be given away ... it's all about supply and demand.

R P.
Dec 29, 2007

jayjay wrote:
toml85 wrote:

Yes, I sold nine timeshares on Redweek, MyResortNetwork and Bidshares. The goal is to price it so that the market (buyer) will be interested. Many people price their resales far too high. It doesn't matter what you paid for your timeshare initially (rather from the developer or resale) it's what the market (buyer) will pay that counts. However, some weeks can't even be given away ... it's all about supply and demand.

I have a timeshare at St Thomas that I have been trying to sell for over 2 years. I used My resort network and had 1 bite and that was it (it is still listed on there after 1 1/2yrs). I have looked into charities and the one I own they will not accept. I had it listed with Island consulting realty and they dropped Bluebeards castle due to all the problems going on (there are a lot of lawsuits going on and the resort has gone down hill ). The 1 bite I had the lady was very interested until she read all the reviews on the property. I have listed it for free buyer paying closing cost and listed it free and I would pay closing cost and still no bites. I even contacted companies on Ebay that had this timeshare listed and told them it was free and even they said they didnt want it due to all the problems. I have listed it on craigs list numerous times- again no bites! Does anyone know if there is a legal way to get out of a deed timeshare without foreclosing on it? I hate to foreclose but I have never even used this resort in the 5 years I have owned it and have to get out of this! The maintenance fee is outrageous!!! I have tried everything I know! There has to be a way out of this.

Susan N.
Dec 29, 2007

susann118 wrote:
jayjay wrote:
toml85 wrote:

I have a timeshare at St Thomas that I have been trying to sell for over 2 years. I used My resort network and had 1 bite and that was it (it is still listed on there after 1 1/2yrs). I have looked into charities and the one I own they will not accept. I had it listed with Island consulting realty and they dropped Bluebeards castle due to all the problems going on (there are a lot of lawsuits going on and the resort has gone down hill ). The 1 bite I had the lady was very interested until she read all the reviews on the property. I have listed it for free buyer paying closing cost and listed it free and I would pay closing cost and still no bites. I even contacted companies on Ebay that had this timeshare listed and told them it was free and even they said they didnt want it due to all the problems. I have listed it on craigs list numerous times- again no bites! Does anyone know if there is a legal way to get out of a deed timeshare without foreclosing on it? I hate to foreclose but I have never even used this resort in the 5 years I have owned it and have to get out of this! The maintenance fee is outrageous!!! I have tried everything I know! There has to be a way out of this.

Hi Susan,

You might try adding your timeshare to RedWeek.com. Price it correctly and you might be able to get out from underneath it.

Best of luck!

Marty

Marty F
Dec 30, 2007

marty8084 wrote:
susann118 wrote:
jayjay wrote:
toml85 wrote:

Hi Susan,

You might try adding your timeshare to RedWeek.com. Price it correctly and you might be able to get out from underneath it.

Best of luck!

Marty

============

Have you tried bidshares.com?

Mike N.
Jan 14, 2008

Hi - I have week 37 in Orlando that I am trying to sell. I also have a week banked with II. Is there a way to rent that week? Are there good articles for renting like the ones for selling?

Any help would be great.

Allison S.
Jan 14, 2008

allisons31 wrote:
Hi - I have week 37 in Orlando that I am trying to sell. I also have a week banked with II. Is there a way to rent that week? Are there good articles for renting like the ones for selling?

Any help would be great.

Sorry, but it's against RCI and II rules to sell banked or exchanged weeks. The best option for you is to use the banked week yourself.

R P.
Jan 20, 2008

sharonh157 wrote:
earlr4 wrote:
We have an odd year time share at KA'EO KAI that we wish to sell. We do not know the first thing about selling a time share and all the legal requirements. Please advise.

Timeshare MLS.org assisted with the sale of my timeshare!! I would recommend to check them out !!! www.timesharemls.org

Sharon Savannah GA

I checked it out and their prices are high...ebay is lower or www.holidaygroup.com ... also you can talk a lot of these places down in price. I bought my Sheraton Vistana - 2bed Red, floating week for $3200 and probably should have pushed it to $2900 if I had known about these websites. I personally wouldn't pay more than $3200 for any resale as I know with time and patience I could get it cheaper.

Lanita P.

Last edited by lanitap on Jan 20, 2008 03:53 PM

Jan 21, 2008

I read that it was a good idea to use your week and while there market your timeshare for sale to interested buyers while at the resort. Anyone had any luck with this? If so, what process did you use?

Darraugh B.
Jan 21, 2008

darraughb wrote:
I read that it was a good idea to use your week and while there market your timeshare for sale to interested buyers while at the resort. Anyone had any luck with this? If so, what process did you use?

I'm not sure what you read (or where you read it), but I frankly have my doubts about its merit or credibility. Folks already at the resort during the same week you are there likely either own there already (the very same week you own, in fact) or are there on an exchange or rental. Not exactly the ideal "interested buyer" pool. The only part of this idea which even potentially makes much sense to me would be *IF* there happened to be a resale office on site, they might be able to give you a clear picture of current demand, market value, etc. and which may (for a hefty commission, of course) agree to try to sell your week for you. If you're truly desperate, while on site you could also inquire about the resorts' "deedback" policy (they might agree to take ownership back from you, a process in which you are essentially giving your week away for free). Even then, there must be no exisiting mortgages, liens, or other encumbrances and all maintenance fees must be paid up to date.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 21, 2008 06:49 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.