Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Renting out RCI or II Exchanges is prohibited --- period. (by Lori T.):

ken1193 wrote:
Unfortunately, you were given completely incorrect information by this (unidentified) "timeshare company" in the cited "items 1, 2 and 3" above.

It was not incorrect and it was addressed in the paragraph preceeding 1, 2 and 3.

It IS a NO, NO to rent out an exchanged week obtained via RCI or II.

The (unidentified) "timeshare company" confirmed it with their In house II section. That important tidbit was indeed digested and understood.

ken1193 wrote:
The II and RCI terms and conditions of service are crystal clear and in writing on the issue of renting out weeks obtained via exchange --- and it has simply always been prohibited. Resorts have no say in the exchange company rules and /or terms and conditions of membership --- none at all.

Understood Ken, it is a risk that "I" would take if "I" were to rent/gift out my II exchanged week. No need to beat me over the head with the point. I definately understood the important aspect of what you were stating. :-)

ken1193 wrote:
If II or RCI discover that a week obtained from them via exchange is later rented out by one of their members, RCI and/or II can (and will) unilaterally cancel the membership AND cancel the reservation, leaving the member without an exchange company membership and leaving the would-be "renter" with no place to stay.

Yes, yes. Again, that's a risk that affects ME and MY MEMBERSHIP with the exchange company.

Now, if the hypothetical would-be "renter" was indeed inconvenienced by my bad luck (getting caught in such a practise by the exchange company), they would most definately receive their hypothetical refund of all monies paid, assuming it wasn't gifted.

ken1193 wrote:
"Intent" and "resort opinion" and "future practices" are all completely irrelevant and have absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

I absolutely realize that Ken. I'm not so ignorant as to think that I am protected by some umbrella of safety because the Timeshare company themself said, "We don't mind if you do it."

ken1193 wrote:
Yes, some people do it anyhow -- and some "get away with it", but the risks of violation of terms of membership (as specifically identified above) are both very clear and very real.

Again, fully understood Ken. Although some days I might look it, I can assure you, I am not the walking dead. ;-)

Of note, it is starting to become VERY apparent to me that more than SOME "get away with it". It was indeed how "I" first went to visit said resort. I was offered someones exchanged week for slightly below, market value price.

ken1193 wrote:
Don't shoot the messenger; I'm merely informing you of the long standing, crystal clear, written, terms and conditions of both of these two exchange companies.

Naw, I'd never shoot the messenger. I'd even toss them a shank of meat and a tankard of ale for their return journey.

ken1193 wrote:
You can rent a week which you actually OWN (i.e., you pay the maintenance fees, you're the deeded owner) however you may see fit, at any price you can command. BUT--- you CAN'T rent out to someone else ANY week which you DON'T actually own, but have instead merely acquired from either RCI or II via the deposit / exchange process. Period. No exceptions, no exemptions, no "grey area".

Ok Ken, quit talking with your mouth full. Enjoy that shank and ale, you've a long journey ahead of you. ;)

IOW I FULLY comprehended it the first time around. It is a risk that "I" would be taking, IF I were to rent/gift out my "exchanged" week.

ken1193 wrote:
You can get a guest certificate in someone else's name from the exchange company, but there can be no actual compensation between the parties involved. I didn't write the rules --- but I HAVE certainly read and understood them quite clearly in the course of my 25 years of timeshare ownership...

It's your decision to make ---and your risk to take. Good luck.

Aye, we need all the luck we can get these days huh?

Although the Timeshare place itself said 'it's not that big of a deal to us." Yes, they are not in control of RCI or II and again, I most definately realize that.

Now, if they (The Timeshare company) indeed does not care one way or another, that means that the threat you mentioned earlier, that I could possibly loose the actual deed to my Timeshare by engaging in such practices, isn't such a threat/concern now is it?

OF NOTE: I'm am still VERY much on the fence about the idea. I don't like dancing around in ANY grey area. It's beyond my comfort zone.

Enjoy the meat and ale Ken, after 25 years of playing messenger, you've earned it!