Marriott timeshare

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Marriott timeshare (by Lance C.):

carolynt124 wrote:
This is not a posting to sell the timeshare...just seeking information from anyone who has dealt with Marriott and can give info on how best to proceed.

I've never dealt with Marriott but I can tell you what not to do. The cardinal rule for selling a timeshare is to never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to do so.

A Marriott in Maui probably has some good value. You can list it for sale here on RedWeek or other reputable resale sites such as My Resort Network, Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"), E-bay, or Bidshares. Check what similar units at that resort are listing and selling for. Then price yours competitively.

Since yours probably has some value, you might also consider using a reputable broker. One good site is ltrba.com. If you consult with them, they will tell you what they realistically can and can not do. Just remember they charge a minimum $1000 or 15% commission.

If you think you can do it yourself, answer the inquirers to your ads courteously and professionally. Once you do find a buyer and an agreed-upon price, I would use a professional closing company such as JRA or Timeshare Transfer. They'll handle the escrow and disburse the funds properly.