Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Vida Vacations & Grand Mayan lies (by Greg S.):

Sadly, I am adding my own story to this long list of familiar gripes with Vida Vacations (Vidanta). Most that fall for the sales lies of Vida don't read these stories until it's too late, so I'm not sure whether adding my story will help anyone. Nevertheless, I felt it was important to add my experience to the list anyway.

I was ignorant of what timeshares even are, let alone how they work. So taking a first-ever Mexican vacation probably made me an easy mark. It all started when I checked into the Mayan Palace and was told no room assignments could be made unless I spoke to a concierge (I booked the trip via an armed services vacation club, so I didn't realize I was checking into a timeshare property). The "concierge" turned out to be a marketing agent for Vida and it wasn't long before she had convinced me that in exchange for a 1-hour presentation, I would get an upgraded room, and a free zip line activity. Seemed like a no-brainer, I thought…

It turned out that the presentation was held at the Nuevo Vallarta... a half hour north of Puerto Vallarta by cab. The resort complex is immense, so the ability to leave after an hour was simply not possible. I ended up in a persistent and endless presentation that lasted 6 hours. I know I could've marched out of the hotel, but I felt stuck. Despite round after round of "no", followed by better offers, followed by more delays, I sat there like an idiot until somehow I started to believe their marketing bs.

I'm a firefighter and my partner is a teacher - we were simply overwhelmed by their slick presentation, fast talking, and assurances of top value. There is no doubt that this sales team was very good at what they do. I tried to Google "Vida TImeshare" during one of our negotiating breaks as it did seem a bit shady, but I had no internet connection (otherwise I may have stumbled on the stories in this thread earlier). At the end of 6 hours, I relented and they got my credit card. It was at the end of the day, and so we rushed through signing pages of contracts. I was assured all along that I could cancel or sell my contract at any time it was no longer a value to me. The 5-day cancellation window was in the fine print, but I wasn't even home before those 5 days already passed (even if I had noticed it as we raced through the forms). Then they told me that they would mail all the paperwork and membership info to me so I wouldn’t need to carry it – what sales genius! Now I didn’t even have the ability to read the fine print during the following days - chalk up another victory for the opportunistic sales team at Vida.

I did try cancelling later (well after the 5-day allowance), and was sternly told "No." They did offer yet another contract for a lower price (by this time the price had fallen 80% from their opening offer... I still have no idea on what the actual value of this timeshare but clearly their pricing is not connected to the value, but rather what they think they can extract from you). I did get an email back from Vida saying that they would cancel my contract, but I would forfeit my 35% deposit. How generous of them!!

I did try to reverse charges on this 35% payment through my credit card, but was unsuccessful. I saw the reply Vida sent to my bank, and it is clear they have as successful of a set of lawyers, as they do salesmen.

I cannot condemn timeshares in general as fraudulent - I just don't have the legal knowledge to judge that. Besides, for some folks, timeshares may fit their vacation styles just fine. Nevertheless, I can say that my experience has shown me a pretty dark side of business ethics. In retrospect, there were plenty of danger signs during those 6 hours - but when I was in the midst of it, I fell right into their trap. Clearly, I am not alone, but I still feel stupid and naïve to be taken for so much money.

It will be years before I can replenish my vacation funds that Vida took. When I finally do get a chance to return to Mexico, I will be much wiser and sadly, a lot more cynical too. And most certainly, I will share my experiences with anyone I see waiting in line to speak to the “concierge.”