Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Dues/maintainence fees/free timshare? (by Lance C.):

sarahg265 wrote:
What's the average dues/maintenance fees for a timeshare? Can these be paid monthly or are they annual? I've been reading in the forums that ppl give away timeshares due to the costs of these. But I haven't seen any free timeshares. Where are these people? :)

Maintenance fees can range depending on location, size of unit, name brand, etc. Some in the Vegas area are as low as $500 per year (or week depending on how you want to look at it). Some 3-bedroom units in Maui are around $3000 per year. However, average I would say are about $800-$1000. If you look at the For Sale ads here on RedWeek or other timeshare sites such as E-Bay, Timeshare Users Group (TUG), or My Resort Network, ads should disclose the maintenance fees. And in general, the dues are paid annually and due in January. There are a few exceptions to that rule but I would count on having to pay in January for that year's usage.

As for free timeshares, check out E-Bay. Well, they might not be exactly free as many of the listings start at $1. RedWeek has a Bargain Basement section where owners are listing for $1 or less. The same can be said about TUG's Bargain Deals section. Also, if you see an ad that you like and the owner is listing it for low dough, you might be able to haggle and ask for it for "free" if you perhaps offer to pay the closing costs. When an owner is listing it for minimal money, chances are that he is just trying to dump it in order to escape paying the maintenance fees and may be willing to give it away.