Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Starwood (SPG) Timeshare (by Deborah L.):

jenniferc190 wrote:
deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:
I am interested in purchasing the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. I am fairly new at the timeshare concept and will appreicate all opinions. I am quite impressed with the SPG program and am already a gold member.

I am wondering if I should wait for the North Villas resales to become more available or purchase "pre owned" ones on the existing buildings. I am also wondering if I am better off purchasing the "resale" ones from the developer. I do realize that the price will be higher the then general resale market but it may offer some perks that I may be interested in. Also, I find the annual fees + taxes being almost $2000 is quite high, I am wondering if I am better off just renting. Thanks for you thoughts on this.

This is what I have done, I purchased a resale at a location that I wanted. I used an online timeshare resale site. I had not one problem with them. The transfer of the deed was done with ease by them and I received it in a timely manner. I also, got this time share at a very reasonable price. My yearly fees are managable. The unit I purchased was exactly as it was told on this resale site and they made sure I understood what I was purchasing. I purchased a one bedroom in a specific location within this resort and that is exactly what I got. This Timeshare is a Starwood Resort that is also a five star Resort. I have enjoyed it two years now and I am headed for our third. The unit rents for triple what I pay in Maintenace fees in a week. The only thing with purchasing a resale with the Starwood resorts that I found the hard way is that you aren't able to use there own Starwood Network for exchange of your unit for another Starwood Resort in another location. This is Starwood's rules. Anyone with a repurchase not from the Starwood resort, such as a repurchase from a past owner you do not get the Starwood transfer or upgrade benefits. Which as an owner I feel is wrong. I do have a deeded timeshare with a red week and it also can be used as a float. But, I am not allowed to use the Starwood vacation network. So I just use RCI. That is the only drawback that I have found. I hope this helped you.

Hi, thanks for the information. Does it mean you don't get the points either? What is your overall experience. THANKS AGAIN.

You do get star points to your starwood perferred acount whenever you stay at an outside resort through the starwood network. But, you don't receive star points when you are staying at your home resort. Im not sure but I think no one gets starpoints when they stay at their home resort even if they buy direct instead of as a rebuy. I have found that the star points that I have accumulated are from starying at a starwood resort other then my own. You know when you travel other then the time you are using your own resort you accumulate the points. Also, I don't know where you live but, I would only purchase a timeshare if you are going to be able to use it alot. It you can't go at least once a year then you should purchase a timeshare that is where you would most like to go and then trade off to the place that you may want to go maybe only once or twice. Such as you said you want to purchase at the hawaiian resort. Well if you live on the west coast or live in hawaii that makes sense then you will be able to go alot more then if say you live on the east coast and would only be able to get there say every few years. My family and I wanted one in florida because we would go there to take the kids to disney every year. We would stay in the disney resort and end up paying about 6000 a year each time we went without the flight. I bought the timeshare in orlando and we only pay the associate fees and taxes each year for less then 400.00 and then we purchase the tickets for the parks we want to visit. We usually only spend now each year including our mantenance fees and taxes for our vacation about 3000.00 and that includes our meals and cash for anything we want to buy. So we have saved in the last two years 6000.00 on our two vacation years and that almost has paid me back for what I purchased the timeshare for. Also, if we would like to go somewhere else I can then trade it through RCI and go where I want. So, if we want to go to hawaii one day we can. To me purchasing one in hawaii would have been a waste since I wouldn't go there every year. Just remember wherever you purchase yours at make it a place you will go alot. Also, a close family member who doesn't own a timeshare. Stayed at the place I own our Timeshare at and they had to pay the going rate which was 200.00 during the week days a night and 275.00 for the weekend nights, and they are Sheraton Perferred customers so that was with their discount so add that up and see what you get to save buy owning. About 1550.00 a week.. If I had stayed as a none owner of a timeshare unit that is what it would have cost me. Now I just may 400.00 the rest of what it would cost can purchase alot of tickets and food. I definately would purchase instead of rent if you go on vacation every year. I hope this has helped you out.