Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying timeshares (even resale)

Oct 16, 2006

Before buying a timeshare week, I would research all rental sites on the internet first. The only reason, in my opinion, to buy a week is if you can only vacation in a red hot season such as summer, holidays or winter ski season. The reason I say this is because there are SO many rentals sites on the internet now (such as Redweek) as opposed to just a few years ago, that it doesn't make sense to buy if you can rent for the maintenance fee or a little more. The costs of timesharing have skyrocketed just in the last 6 years ... maintenance fees have risen (some with special assessments attached on top of maintenance fees), exchange company membership, exchanges, guest certificates and other related timeshare costs have risen.

If you can rent for the same as owning without the hassles of owning ... then in my opinion that's the better option. It's much easier to BUY a timeshare than to SELL a timeshare.

R P.
Oct 16, 2006

jayjay wrote:
Before buying a timeshare week, I would research all rental sites on the internet first. The only reason, in my opinion, to buy a week is if you can only vacation in a red hot season such as summer, holidays or winter ski season. The reason I say this is because there are SO many rentals sites on the internet now (such as Redweek) as opposed to just a few years ago, that it doesn't make sense to buy if you can rent for the maintenance fee or a little more. The costs of timesharing have skyrocketed just in the last 6 years ... maintenance fees have risen (some with special assessments attached on top of maintenance fees), exchange company membership, exchanges, guest certificates and other related timeshare costs have risen.

If you can rent for the same as owning without the hassles of owning ... then in my opinion that's the better option. It's much easier to BUY a timeshare than to SELL a timeshare.

JJ, What is the best option if I want to travel every 6 mths and what are the chances of finding timeshared accomodation Chris

Chris P.
Oct 17, 2006

Chris, there are many variables. Where (what area) do you prefer to travel every six months? Redweek has listings of rentals far in advance, so you really shouldn't have a hard time finding a timeshare accomodation, especially if you are flexible in your choices. Like I said there are literally hundreds of timeshare rental sites on the internet alone. With research I'm sure you could something suitable.

R P.
Nov 04, 2006

THERE ARE COMPANY TO BE CAREFUL WITH! be very very careful,with this company.

Timeshare Adventures,inc.

everthing when wrong with my transaction. was not a 2 bedroom, it was a one bedroom. was not floating, it was week 2. was charge, 2006 maintance fee, that should not have been charge. contacted this company. that it was my mistake, not theirs. stay away.

just got former owners tax bill in my name, for 2005 and 2006 with all the penalties. do these poeple know what they are doing?

again stay away for this company.

Mary V.
Nov 12, 2006

vlahos wrote:

everthing when wrong with my transaction. was not a 2 bedroom, it was a one bedroom. was not floating, it was week 2. was charge, 2006 maintance fee, that should not have been charge. contacted this company. that it was my mistake, not theirs. stay away.

just got former owners tax bill in my name, for 2005 and 2006 with all the penalties. do these poeple know what they are doing?

get with your title company and or read the title policy depending on when you purchased your title insurance may be responsible for some of this, compare this stuff with your deed. all the info you just stated is on these documents, you should have been required to sign them before the documents were registered at the ole taxation dept whatever the county seat and st the property is located in...closing should not have taken place without your signiture in place

Zimmer C.
Nov 12, 2006

zimmer1 wrote:
vlahos wrote:

get with your title company and or read the title policy depending on when you purchased your title insurance may be responsible for some of this, compare this stuff with your deed. all the info you just stated is on these documents, you should have been required to sign them before the documents were registered at the ole taxation dept whatever the county seat and st the property is located in...closing should not have taken place without your signiture in place

you assume that a company like: timeshare adventures, inc. with a in-house title company would be responsable for their work. this company washed there hands of the whole thing. with "gaurities" all over their web page, you would thing that they would do there vary best to fix anything that was not done right. most people who pay $450 for closing assume that the papers that you sign are done right.I was wrong to believe that TIMESHARE ADVENTURES, INC. was a honest company. and it cost me dearly.

Mary V.
Nov 16, 2006

I am interested in purchasing the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. I am fairly new at the timeshare concept and will appreicate all opinions. I am quite impressed with the SPG program and am already a gold member.

I am wondering if I should wait for the North Villas resales to become more available or purchase "pre owned" ones on the existing buildings. I am also wondering if I am better off purchasing the "resale" ones from the developer. I do realize that the price will be higher the then general resale market but it may offer some perks that I may be interested in. Also, I find the annual fees + taxes being almost $2000 is quite high, I am wondering if I am better off just renting. Thanks for you thoughts on this.

Jennifer C.
Nov 16, 2006

vlahos wrote:

I had a similar experience dealing with Timeshare Transfer Inc. when I bought a timeshare in St. Martin last year. Their website advertises all kinds of services they provide, etc. In reality, they do little but hold funds in escow while you do all the investigative work yourself. At that, they were constantly bugging me to allow them to release the money eben though I had no written confirmation from the resort that the seller even owned what he was selling me. I wanted them to get an estoppel letter from the resort, which they advertised on their website they would do for an additional charge. Once they had my money, they said they didn't do that but would refund that portion of the fee. leaving it to me to deal with the timeshare developer. All in all, a most unsatisfactory experience.

Ken S.
Nov 16, 2006

jayjay wrote:

jayjay, i agree with you if you can rent the place for close to the maintenance fee, but that is rarely the case with 5 star resorts in high season unless you are looking at a place where there are a tremendous number of timeshares. I bought a timeshare in Antigua at a 5 star resort in Antigua several years ago and have had no difficulty renting it out for many times the maintenance fee.

Ken S.
Nov 16, 2006

jenniferc190 wrote:
I am interested in purchasing the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas. I am fairly new at the timeshare concept and will appreicate all opinions. I am quite impressed with the SPG program and am already a gold member.

I am wondering if I should wait for the North Villas resales to become more available or purchase "pre owned" ones on the existing buildings. I am also wondering if I am better off purchasing the "resale" ones from the developer. I do realize that the price will be higher the then general resale market but it may offer some perks that I may be interested in. Also, I find the annual fees + taxes being almost $2000 is quite high, I am wondering if I am better off just renting. Thanks for you thoughts on this.

This is what I have done, I purchased a resale at a location that I wanted. I used an online timeshare resale site. I had not one problem with them. The transfer of the deed was done with ease by them and I received it in a timely manner. I also, got this time share at a very reasonable price. My yearly fees are managable. The unit I purchased was exactly as it was told on this resale site and they made sure I understood what I was purchasing. I purchased a one bedroom in a specific location within this resort and that is exactly what I got. This Timeshare is a Starwood Resort that is also a five star Resort. I have enjoyed it two years now and I am headed for our third. The unit rents for triple what I pay in Maintenace fees in a week. The only thing with purchasing a resale with the Starwood resorts that I found the hard way is that you aren't able to use there own Starwood Network for exchange of your unit for another Starwood Resort in another location. This is Starwood's rules. Anyone with a repurchase not from the Starwood resort, such as a repurchase from a past owner you do not get the Starwood transfer or upgrade benefits. Which as an owner I feel is wrong. I do have a deeded timeshare with a red week and it also can be used as a float. But, I am not allowed to use the Starwood vacation network. So I just use RCI. That is the only drawback that I have found. I hope this helped you.

Deborah L.
Nov 16, 2006

deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:

This is what I have done, I purchased a resale at a location that I wanted. I used an online timeshare resale site. I had not one problem with them. The transfer of the deed was done with ease by them and I received it in a timely manner. I also, got this time share at a very reasonable price. My yearly fees are managable. The unit I purchased was exactly as it was told on this resale site and they made sure I understood what I was purchasing. I purchased a one bedroom in a specific location within this resort and that is exactly what I got. This Timeshare is a Starwood Resort that is also a five star Resort. I have enjoyed it two years now and I am headed for our third. The unit rents for triple what I pay in Maintenace fees in a week. The only thing with purchasing a resale with the Starwood resorts that I found the hard way is that you aren't able to use there own Starwood Network for exchange of your unit for another Starwood Resort in another location. This is Starwood's rules. Anyone with a repurchase not from the Starwood resort, such as a repurchase from a past owner you do not get the Starwood transfer or upgrade benefits. Which as an owner I feel is wrong. I do have a deeded timeshare with a red week and it also can be used as a float. But, I am not allowed to use the Starwood vacation network. So I just use RCI. That is the only drawback that I have found. I hope this helped you.

Hi, thanks for the information. Does it mean you don't get the points either? What is your overall experience. THANKS AGAIN.

Jennifer C.
Nov 17, 2006

kenruth50 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

jayjay, i agree with you if you can rent the place for close to the maintenance fee, but that is rarely the case with 5 star resorts in high season unless you are looking at a place where there are a tremendous number of timeshares. I bought a timeshare in Antigua at a 5 star resort in Antigua several years ago and have had no difficulty renting it out for many times the maintenance fee.

I've read most of the messages on the first page and the only person that make sense is jayjay. Do you guys know how to count the cost of what you spend? I personally don't like timeshares unless I'm renting them. Here's the deal. I rented a Marriott Vacation Club resort Villa in Ft Lauderdale this pass summer for 4 nights and it cost me $1,230.00 including all taxes, parking fees..etc. Everything! And that was for a 2 bedroom, 2 full baths Villa; with a full kitchen, two balconies, and nicely furnished. This was the first week of August. A very good time I might add. So it was costing me around $300.00 a day and I was able to use a AAA discount too! I did this online without the requirement of having to sit thru a presentation. When I was walking thru the village one day, a timeshare representative asked me to come in so I did (for 15 minutes and asked questions) and he told me that the cost to buy was $40,000 minimum. And the maintenance fee, well, he wouldn't tell me. Ummmmm! Now do you guy amortize your vacations and figure out the real cost when you buy a timeshare? If it cost me $2150 a week divided by my investment of $40,000, then it will take me 18.61 years just to break even on my initial investment. But not really! Now add in your annual maintenance fees which may be $1,000 or more, then special assessments in the future. And you really don't see that one coming! And if you're financing it, then add the interest costs. (And all this for a vacation??? Huh!!) And guest what? You paid thousands more than you should have. And I bet you can't recoup that from your one week vacation rental? Antigua or otherwise (because it cost more in Antigua)! DO THE MATH FOLKS!

And last, timeshares don't appreciate; they depreciate, and a resale is better than buying directly from the builder/owner. Most people who want to sell and do sell, do it at a loss. And most of them want out fast and it's a desperate act. That's why resales sell at a discount! Da! I read all the stories and I always read more bad than good. So another generation of gullible people comes forth each year, and the owners, builders, and developers of timeshares, keeps getting richer and richer. DO THE MATH FOLKS! DO THE MATH!

Plan your vacation and enjoy the flexibility of coming and going as you like no matter where. Vacations are not investments, and neither are timeshares! Vacations are for your enjoyment and relaxation. Take the extra money and put it towards a condo, home, retirement, annunities, college funds..etc. Not towards a timeshare!

Wayne B.
Nov 17, 2006

wayneb24 wrote:
kenruth50 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

I've read most of the messages on the first page and the only person that make sense is jayjay. Do you guys know how to count the cost of what you spend? I personally don't like timeshares unless I'm renting them. Here's the deal. I rented a Marriott Vacation Club resort Villa in Ft Lauderdale this pass summer for 4 nights and it cost me $1,230.00 including all taxes, parking fees..etc. Everything! And that was for a 2 bedroom, 2 full baths Villa; with a full kitchen, two balconies, and nicely furnished. This was the first week of August. A very good time I might add. So it was costing me around $300.00 a day and I was able to use a AAA discount too! I did this online without the requirement of having to sit thru a presentation. When I was walking thru the village one day, a timeshare representative asked me to come in so I did (for 15 minutes and asked questions) and he told me that the cost to buy was $40,000 minimum. And the maintenance fee, well, he wouldn't tell me. Ummmmm! Now do you guy amortize your vacations and figure out the real cost when you buy a timeshare? If it cost me $2150 a week divided by my investment of $40,000, then it will take me 18.61 years just to break even on my initial investment. But not really! Now add in your annual maintenance fees which may be $1,000 or more, then special assessments in the future. And you really don't see that one coming! And if you're financing it, then add the interest costs. (And all this for a vacation??? Huh!!) And guest what? You paid thousands more than you should have. And I bet you can't recoup that from your one week vacation rental? Antigua or otherwise (because it cost more in Antigua)! DO THE MATH FOLKS!

And last, timeshares don't appreciate; they depreciate, and a resale is better than buying directly from the builder/owner. Most people who want to sell and do sell, do it at a loss. And most of them want out fast and it's a desperate act. That's why resales sell at a discount! Da! I read all the stories and I always read more bad than good. So another generation of gullible people comes forth each year, and the owners, builders, and developers of timeshares, keeps getting richer and richer. DO THE MATH FOLKS! DO THE MATH!

Plan your vacation and enjoy the flexibility of coming and going as you like no matter where. Vacations are not investments, and neither are timeshares! Vacations are for your enjoyment and relaxation. Take the extra money and put it towards a condo, home, retirement, annunities, college funds..etc. Not towards a timeshare!

As I said, I don't disagree with renting. I have done it myself numerous times. The one timeshare I bought at the resort, however, I have already recovered over 1/2 of what I paid for it in rentals (NET) plus I have used it twice myself. This may be unique, but it is fact. The other one I own I bought cheap via the internet, having already rented at the same resort once. Assuming no change in rental rates and maintenance fees (or, more accurately, no change in the relative difference between them, it will take me about 6 years to recover my modest investment. As for Marriott points, I don't know much about them so can't comment.

Ken S.
Nov 17, 2006

kenruth50 wrote:
wayneb24 wrote:
kenruth50 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

As I said, I don't disagree with renting. I have done it myself numerous times. The one timeshare I bought at the resort, however, I have already recovered over 1/2 of what I paid for it in rentals (NET) plus I have used it twice myself. This may be unique, but it is fact. The other one I own I bought cheap via the internet, having already rented at the same resort once. Assuming no change in rental rates and maintenance fees (or, more accurately, no change in the relative difference between them, it will take me about 6 years to recover my modest investment. As for Marriott points, I don't know much about them so can't comment.

I don't know people but do the MATH $40.000 I invest and make easy 10% = $ 4000 $ 4000 for a week somewhere nice!!!! Yes!!

Adrian N.
Nov 18, 2006

yes spending $40.000 on a time share is crazy but you dont have to spend that kind of money to get a time share. I bought a time share in vegas ( a 5 star ) one bedroom for $14000 for 3 weeks one week in vegas and 2 weeks any place I want every year. when you buy a timeshare look around and dont feel bad about dealing with these people.get the best deal you can.

Scott F.
Nov 18, 2006

jenniferc190 wrote:
deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:

Hi, thanks for the information. Does it mean you don't get the points either? What is your overall experience. THANKS AGAIN.

You do get star points to your starwood perferred acount whenever you stay at an outside resort through the starwood network. But, you don't receive star points when you are staying at your home resort. Im not sure but I think no one gets starpoints when they stay at their home resort even if they buy direct instead of as a rebuy. I have found that the star points that I have accumulated are from starying at a starwood resort other then my own. You know when you travel other then the time you are using your own resort you accumulate the points. Also, I don't know where you live but, I would only purchase a timeshare if you are going to be able to use it alot. It you can't go at least once a year then you should purchase a timeshare that is where you would most like to go and then trade off to the place that you may want to go maybe only once or twice. Such as you said you want to purchase at the hawaiian resort. Well if you live on the west coast or live in hawaii that makes sense then you will be able to go alot more then if say you live on the east coast and would only be able to get there say every few years. My family and I wanted one in florida because we would go there to take the kids to disney every year. We would stay in the disney resort and end up paying about 6000 a year each time we went without the flight. I bought the timeshare in orlando and we only pay the associate fees and taxes each year for less then 400.00 and then we purchase the tickets for the parks we want to visit. We usually only spend now each year including our mantenance fees and taxes for our vacation about 3000.00 and that includes our meals and cash for anything we want to buy. So we have saved in the last two years 6000.00 on our two vacation years and that almost has paid me back for what I purchased the timeshare for. Also, if we would like to go somewhere else I can then trade it through RCI and go where I want. So, if we want to go to hawaii one day we can. To me purchasing one in hawaii would have been a waste since I wouldn't go there every year. Just remember wherever you purchase yours at make it a place you will go alot. Also, a close family member who doesn't own a timeshare. Stayed at the place I own our Timeshare at and they had to pay the going rate which was 200.00 during the week days a night and 275.00 for the weekend nights, and they are Sheraton Perferred customers so that was with their discount so add that up and see what you get to save buy owning. About 1550.00 a week.. If I had stayed as a none owner of a timeshare unit that is what it would have cost me. Now I just may 400.00 the rest of what it would cost can purchase alot of tickets and food. I definately would purchase instead of rent if you go on vacation every year. I hope this has helped you out.

Deborah L.
Nov 19, 2006

Many timeshare salespeople will tell you that it's very easy to rent your owned week(s) and make money. Renting is easier said than done as is evidenced by the thousands upon thousands of timeshare rentals on the internet alone. If you're thinking of buying a week just to rent and make money, I definitely would not do it. There are cases where timeshare owners can make a profit from rentals such as Hawaii, winter sky season in Colorado, high demand/low suppled areas and (some) holiday weeks.

R P.
Nov 20, 2006

21 yrs ago I purchased a 3 br/10 occ/red week T/S in a Western Canada ski area for a measly $3000. Mtce. fees were less than $300 at the time and RCI was reasonable. Times change, however. That same purchase today is $25,000, mtce. fees are over $500 and RCI fees have jumped. I've gotten very good value from my T/S, but in today's market I wouldn't touch it. When my RCI membership runs out at the end of 2007, that's it. I'm through with them. I'll start using Redweek or any number of other sites to post my week for rental if I'm not using it. I have also begun renting through Redweek as well. A 2br unit on the Big Island for $800. Not too bad. And there are bargains to be found all over the web. Times have changed.

Geoff N.
Nov 21, 2006

jenniferc190 wrote:

I personally am very fond of owning a timeshare but to spend $2,000 on annual fees & taxes is too high. You should only spend $400-$800 on a 5-star resort with annual maintenance fees. But if you have your heart set on this resort, then look for a resale online and forget the perks.

Besides if you trade-in with RCI, they'll give you bonus weeks. Take those and go on another trip, sell or give-away as gifts or sell at your cost. It is an extra blessing to share with others.

When you don't own a timeshare, you are more likely to skip vacation for a few years because you could use the money on something else. Owning a timeshare (at a resonable rate) forces 'us' to invest in family and take a vacation. Not to mention, having a deed to the property that can be handed down to the next generation and so on. You eventually will get back your investment and then some.

Though I perfectly understand investing your money by other means. Why not find a timeshare that's red week (floating) - no points, Atlantic Coast or wherever else, (3) bedroom, sleeps 10, many amenties, washer/dryer, spa, lazy river, etc...

The point is: You can really get a 5-star resort for $20,000 resale online that will trade very well and give you many kick-backs as well; such as trade-in to RCI and get two weeks instead of one. Sell one/use one, sell both or use both. Then take the other $20,000 and invest it in Wal-Mart, Best Buy or Home Deport, etc.. investing in something that you believe in and buy from; even back into stocks for Marriott or something.

Robin A.
Nov 22, 2006

deborah820 wrote:
jenniferc190 wrote:

Deborah - Which Starwood Resort did you purchase at? I have found conflicting information on the use of the Starwood Vacation Network and StarPoints. I was just curious because one of the sources said it had to do with which resort you purchase. Thanks, Debbie

Debbie

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.