Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club

New Prices for a 2BD as of Dec 2006

Dec 23, 2006

I recently bought an ownership week a few days ago for $33,400 for a 2BD, floating, annual use. Incentives included were 125K rewards points and the option to convert the 2006 week to 85K points. I had to pay a discounted rate for the 2006 maintenance fee of $1024 in order to convert the 06 plus $104 to convert them to points.

My current maintenance fee for 2007 is $1312 for a 2 BD. Is this quite a fair purchase or too expensive? Considering the vacaton program and points program, is it worth buying it? I still have a few more days to rescind and would appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks for your time.

Alexander V.
Jan 12, 2007

55amg wrote:
I recently bought an ownership week a few days ago for $33,400 for a 2BD, floating, annual use. Incentives included were 125K rewards points and the option to convert the 2006 week to 85K points. I had to pay a discounted rate for the 2006 maintenance fee of $1024 in order to convert the 06 plus $104 to convert them to points.

My current maintenance fee for 2007 is $1312 for a 2 BD. Is this quite a fair purchase or too expensive? Considering the vacaton program and points program, is it worth buying it? I still have a few more days to rescind and would appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks for your time.

Hope you were smart enough to rescind, just look at the prices on Red Week.

John W.
Jan 12, 2007

steven2090 wrote:
55amg wrote:

True the prices are a lot cheaper, BUT you will lose the option of converting your week to marriott points and won't be able to participate in the points program using your week. I guess it depends if you use points for travel. It all depends!!

Alexander V.
Jan 14, 2007

55amg wrote:
steven2090 wrote:
55amg wrote:

True the prices are a lot cheaper, BUT you will lose the option of converting your week to marriott points and won't be able to participate in the points program using your week. I guess it depends if you use points for travel. It all depends!!

The points are never never never ever ever worth your week. Have you ever used Marriott points? Compare the points they give you with the points it would take to stay at the resort, then tell me they are not ripping you off. So how many days are your points worth at a resort like Ko-Olina?

Also compare renting a week from a owner to buying a week at the price you paid it would take you over 17 years to break even (not even counting interest), as opposed to renting a week for an average of $2,500; and as you can see there are owners every day who will rent for less than $2,500. And just think some people pay $50,000 for the week, it would take them over 24 years just to break even, compared to some one renting a week at $2,500. I will never buy another week from the developer. And you can make offers to the redweek owners.

John W.
Jan 14, 2007

steven2090 wrote:
55amg wrote:
steven2090 wrote:
55amg wrote:

The points are never never never ever ever worth your week. Have you ever used Marriott points? Compare the points they give you with the points it would take to stay at the resort, then tell me they are not ripping you off. So how many days are your points worth at a resort like Ko-Olina?

Also compare renting a week from a owner to buying a week at the price you paid it would take you over 17 years to break even (not even counting interest), as opposed to renting a week for an average of $2,500; and as you can see there are owners every day who will rent for less than $2,500. And just think some people pay $50,000 for the week, it would take them over 24 years just to break even, compared to some one renting a week at $2,500. I will never buy another week from the developer. And you can make offers to the redweek owners.

What the points are worth, so for a 2 bedroom 7 week, Marriott will give you 5 days. Yea they take two days from you, see chart below: 3 nights in a deluxe guest room 50,000 397 Reward details 4 nights in a deluxe guest room 65,000 1395 Reward details 5 nights in a deluxe guest room 75,000 398 Reward details 6 nights in a deluxe guest room 90,000 1396 Reward details 7 nights in a deluxe guest room 100,000 399 Reward details 3 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 75,000 394 Reward details 4 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 90,000 1393 Reward details 5 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 100,000 395 Reward details 6 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 115,000 1394 Reward details 7 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 125,000 396 Reward details 3 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 100,000 391 Reward details 4 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 115,000 1391 Reward details 5 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 125,000 392 Reward details 6 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 140,000 1392 Reward details 7 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 150,000 393 Reward details I really don't think this is a good deal. I would rather keep my week.

John W.
Aug 31, 2007

If you feel more comfortable buying from the developer than a resaler you made the right decison. I'm very hesitant on buying from an unknown person. There's more saftey knowing you are buying from a large company. However it will cost you. We looked at the resort but decided against it due to the industrial plant close by and salespoerson's reluctance to discuss Marriot's flexibility in their point system (compared with Starwood). It is a beautiful resort.

Mike L.
Aug 31, 2007

mikel198 wrote:
If you feel more comfortable buying from the developer than a resaler you made the right decison. I'm very hesitant on buying from an unknown person. There's more saftey knowing you are buying from a large company. However it will cost you. We looked at the resort but decided against it due to the industrial plant close by and salespoerson's reluctance to discuss Marriot's flexibility in their point system (compared with Starwood). It is a beautiful resort.

Sorry to hear you decided otherwise for valid reasons. Fortunately for us, we are very happy with our purchase. In fact, we are scheduled to visit Ko Olina for 2 weeks in Feb 08 for the NFL Pro-Bowl Weekend. Can't wait!!

Alexander V.

Last edited by 55amg on Aug 31, 2007 05:13 AM

Oct 09, 2007

We love our purchase and do convert to points occasionally when we can't travel. I have used the points for nights stay through out the year when needed and it has been extremely handy. Also, I know that I'm staying in a nice place because it's a Marriott. I've also traded it for a cruise!

When we stayed at the complex it was wonderful also. We took some extended family with us and they certainly enjoyed it. The only drawback was the construction that was going on to make the complex bigger. But we aren't able to go back for a couple of years so by that time it will be finished.

Really glad we made the decision.

Linda F.
May 07, 2008

We've never been on a cruse, can some one give me pointers on exchanging a Marriott week for a cruise as some other member mentioned?

Thank you in advance.

Robert J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.