General Discussion

refunds from timeshare 'selling' agencies

Dec 23, 2008

Okay, i've sold my timeshare through a different agency than Timeshare for sale best offer. Now they're refusing to refund my 'upfront' payment to list with their agency. They are claiming that fee was for the first 90 days and after that time they spent their own time and money on avertising my timeshare. Anyone dealt with them or had a similiar situation. I NEED SOME AMMUNITION AS THIS JUST ISN'T RIGHT

Looking forward to some replies!!!

themoorz

Capri M.
Dec 23, 2008

I have never heard of the particular upfront fee parasite company cited above. There are so many of these parasites that it's hard to keep track, a situation further complicated by the fact that they periodically return to their little holes in the ground, only to emerge again later under an entirely different name (and a clean BBB slate).

The unfortunate and sad truth is that these assorted upfront fee parasite companies are NOT in the business (or in the habit) of returning money. The only goal of their operation is to TAKE your money, not return it. Their goal was accomplished when you voluntarily chose to pay them a fee for (essentially worthless) "advertising and marketing", which was probably just a lame and overpriced ad on an unknown, obscure web site.

While I do not wish to be the prophet of doom, I am willing to bet that you do not have any form of documentation whatsoever which states in writing, under the signature of an authorized company representative, that you are guaranteed a refund under these circumstances. Absent any such "breached written contract", I dare say you are likely just plain out of luck unless you are willing to take the matter to court for a judge to sort out "who said what to whom".

You may opt to shoot the messenger, but I believe that your odds of seeing any money returned to you are somewhere between "too slim to quantify" and "none at all". I'd love to be wrong, but I don't believe that I am.

If you have the time, the geographic proximity to the parasites' physical location, and an accurate current address for the parasite company, you can initiate a civil case in small claims court. If properly summoned to appear in court, they might just choose to return your money instead. Chances are, however, that you and the parasites are far apart geographically, making that approach logistically difficult and expensive, since you have to file the case in the jurisdiction where THEY are located. If you are both in the same state, or within driving distance, it might be worth a shot. You'll spend most of the hearing day in court, representing lost work time for which you will not be reimbursed. If the parasite company wants to try to play games, they can show up and then promptly ask for a continuance for some contrived reason, even if YOU are ready and willing to present your case then and there. If the continuance is granted, you will have to undertake "trip number two" to court and spend "day number two" there. Such court proceedings are not matters which can be handled or heard "by mail".

I wish you luck, but for the assorted reasons outlined above, the odds for success are frankly against you.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 24, 2008 07:49 AM

Dec 30, 2008

not sure why it matters what political party I'm affliated with but I'm proud to support Obama thank you. I didn't put out my discussion topic to be put down I was just asking for others that may have had the same issues to let me know their outcome. Actually, the agency has come around and is sending me the full refund so........

Capri M.
Dec 31, 2008

capri1 states in relevant part: >>...the agency has come around and is sending me the full refund ...<< ==============================================

Ah, yes...."the proverbial check is in the mail".

I hope that "full refund" proves to actually materialize for you. If so, it might very well be a "first" for any "upfront fee" company. These outfits have a very long and very consistent record of NEVER being in the habit of issuing refunds. I hope you prove to be a notable exception. I definitely would not recommend holding your breath while waiting for that refund to arrive, however....

Good luck though, and Happy New Year.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 31, 2008 01:12 PM

Dec 31, 2008

Call me a "Skeptic"... but if you want me to believe that you actually received a "Full Payment" , please post a photo of the check on this forum... (you should 'Black-out" your name, but make sure all other data/facts are clear for us to see.... better yet, show that YOUR Bank has 'Cleared' the check...)

Meanwhile..... horesfeathers, fuddle-duddle, whatchamacallit..

Donald D.
Jan 01, 2009

donaldd67 states in relevant part: >>...if you want me to believe that you actually received a "Full Payment", please post a photo of the check on this forum...<< ==============================================

1. Poster "capri1" never claimed to have actually received a refund; capri1 only claimed to have been PROMISED a refund. You are correct, however, that no such refund is likely to materialize, now or at any future point in time. That's simply not how the upfront fee parasites operate. Once they have successfully extracted a voluntary payment for their (alleged) "services", they have no intentions of refunding any portion of that "donation".

2. There is no possible means or mechanism to "Post a photo" of a check (or any portion thereof) in these forums. These forums are "typed text only".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 01, 2009 10:12 AM

Jan 01, 2009

When and if the check does show and is good at the local bank, I'll see if I can indeed scan a copy. One thing I would just like to add. In reviewing the messages on this site, some of you only write negative replies. It would be nice for those of us with positive results with our timeshares to perhaps not have you answer in such negative tones. Just a thought and Happy New Year from Oregon

Capri M.
Jan 02, 2009

capri1 wrote:
When and if the check does show and is good at the local bank, I'll see if I can indeed scan a copy. One thing I would just like to add. In reviewing the messages on this site, some of you only write negative replies. It would be nice for those of us with positive results with our timeshares to perhaps not have you answer in such negative tones.

Just a thought and Happy New Year from Oregon

Don't hold your breath waiting for that refund check. Regular posters here are not negative except toward scammers, spammers, shills and upfront fee parasites .... we are seasoned/educated timeshare owners (or former owners) and we're advocates for owner rights.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jan 02, 2009 07:44 AM

Jan 02, 2009

capri1 wrote:
Okay, i've sold my timeshare through a different agency than Timeshare for sale best offer. Now they're refusing to refund my 'upfront' payment to list with their agency. They are claiming that fee was for the first 90 days and after that time they spent their own time and money on avertising my timeshare. Anyone dealt with them or had a similiar situation. I NEED SOME AMMUNITION AS THIS JUST ISN'T RIGHT

You asked the inititial question, but you didn't like the answer you received here.

Your last sentence says it all.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.