Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Rental rates by owners .... hey, we're in a recession !

Mar 27, 2009

We're looking for a rental in a certain area of Florida. What is wrong with owners .... HELLO, WE'RE IN A RECESSION, DUH, and we're looking for the best value for our money, not the most expensive. You would think that the economy hasn't changed one iota going by most rental rates (high) we've seen while researching. A CLUE, IF YOU WANT TO RENT YOUR TIMESHARE OR OTHER RENTAL PROPERTY YOU MUST LOWER YOUR RATES IF YOU WANT TO RENT ..... AGAIN, WE'RE IN A RECESSION AND OUR ECONOMY IS THE WORST IT'S BEEN IN 20 YEARS ..... PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR BARGAINS, PERIOD.

R P.
Mar 29, 2009

jayjay wrote:
We're looking for a rental in a certain area of Florida. What is wrong with owners .... HELLO, WE'RE IN A RECESSION, DUH, and we're looking for the best value for our money, not the most expensive. You would think that the economy hasn't changed one iota going by most rental rates (high) we've seen while researching. A CLUE, IF YOU WANT TO RENT YOUR TIMESHARE OR OTHER RENTAL PROPERTY YOU MUST LOWER YOUR RATES IF YOU WANT TO RENT ..... AGAIN, WE'RE IN A RECESSION AND OUR ECONOMY IS THE WORST IT'S BEEN IN 20 YEARS ..... PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR BARGAINS, PERIOD.

Jayjay, I don’t know what you are looking for (I looked at the REDWISHES to see if you had an entry ), so it’s hard to comment on the econmy and TS rentals.

Yes, we are in a recession, but that doesn't mean that everyone is broke or unemployed. Many, if not most, people being effected by today's economy probably don't even own timeshares. Many will still find a way to take that vacation; even at $700-$900/week a 2 BR timeshare is still a bargain.

If you are looking for a high demand resort during a peak period, people are still going to command, and get, higher rents.

Bigger bargains will come as their check-in dates approach. At that time, you could probably get one for $400-$500/week. If you are looking to get something really cheap check out the last minue rentals (30 days in advance) at wyndham-vactions.com.

Mike N.
Mar 30, 2009

mike1536 wrote:
jayjay wrote:

Jayjay, I don’t know what you are looking for (I looked at the REDWISHES to see if you had an entry ), so it’s hard to comment on the econmy and TS rentals.

Yes, we are in a recession, but that doesn't mean that everyone is broke or unemployed. Many, if not most, people being effected by today's economy probably don't even own timeshares. Many will still find a way to take that vacation; even at $700-$900/week a 2 BR timeshare is still a bargain.

If you are looking for a high demand resort during a peak period, people are still going to command, and get, higher rents.

Bigger bargains will come as their check-in dates approach. At that time, you could probably get one for $400-$500/week. If you are looking to get something really cheap check out the last minue rentals (30 days in advance) at wyndham-vactions.com.

Actually, the week we are looking for is in early May in Florida (off season as most snowbirds leave after Easter) and it's too early for summer renters which start Memorial Day and throughout the summer. I think we may have found one via VRBO though.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jun 25, 2009 08:56 AM

Mar 31, 2009

Contact the owners and tell them what you are willing to pay. You might get a bite. I, for one, have scored a GREAT deal for Atlantis in Nassau this summer thanks to this slow economy. Yea, me!

John C.
Jun 23, 2009

Hell yeah! People is still asking for 4 times their MFees, Get real!

Love2travel L.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 23, 2009 04:22 PM

Jun 23, 2009

hey jay jay, you are right, we are in a recession. People need money, which is why many people are renting their timeshares instead of taking the vacation. If they could afford to give them away, they would take the vacation themselves. That being said, when I am getting ready to rent a week, I reply to EVERYONE who "owns" the week I want. I let them know how many people they are competing with, how flexible I am (which means I can pick and choose), and ask if their rate is flexible. Guess what? Almost everyone's rate is. But there is a bottom line that everyone has before they will just: cash in for points, give the week to their brother, or go themselves. If everyone could travel for the deal you are looking for, you wouldn't see much for rent. And the stuff that was for rent would be twice the price (the whole supply and demand thing).

Just my two cents.

Laura C.
Jun 25, 2009

laurac260 wrote:
If everyone could travel for the deal you are looking for, you wouldn't see much for rent. And the stuff that was for rent would be twice the price (the whole supply and demand thing). Just my two cents.

With all due respect, you have no idea what I was looking for in Florida. I was not looking for bargain basement rental rates ... merely reasonable rates during this recession, which most renters evidently don't realize that we're in.

We ended up paying $900 ($800 +$100 cleaning fee) for a week on Jupiter Beach from an owner on VRBO.com ..... that's not exactly cheap but it was fair for what we got in return.

The same is happening in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area while I was recently looking for cabin rentals. You would think it was the 1990's when this country was thriving economically, in a bull stock market and people were traveling like crazy which is not the case today.

If I had a unit to rent I would rent it competitively in this down market. I would rather rent it than have it sit empty because I was asking too much.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jun 25, 2009 09:01 AM

Jun 25, 2009

jayjay, were you looking for opinions, or suggestions? I gave you both. If you were just looking to rant, I guess you are entitled to that too. I guess I made the assumption that, if you put an opinionated opinion on this forum, you were lookinng for opinionated opinions, which I gave as well.

But hey, that's just my opinion!

Laura C.
Jun 26, 2009

laurac260 wrote:
jayjay, were you looking for opinions, or suggestions? I gave you both. If you were just looking to rant, I guess you are entitled to that too. I guess I made the assumption that, if you put an opinionated opinion on this forum, you were lookinng for opinionated opinions, which I gave as well. But hey, that's just my opinion!

Well you know what they say about opinions ...... :o). I still stand behind my "opinion" that if people want to rent in this economy, they need to lower their rates or their rental will more than likely remain empty with ZERO income to the owner.

You say, "owners are renting out because they can't afford to take a vacation". Well the same holds true for people looking to rent that owner's unit/cabin .... they're looking for bargains or fair rental rates in this economy, not for owners to make a huge profit.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jun 26, 2009 08:32 AM

Jul 01, 2009

jayjay wrote:
laurac260 wrote:
jayjay, were you looking for opinions, or suggestions? I gave you both. If you were just looking to rant, I guess you are entitled to that too. I guess I made the assumption that, if you put an opinionated opinion on this forum, you were lookinng for opinionated opinions, which I gave as well. But hey, that's just my opinion!

Well you know what they say about opinions ...... :o). I still stand behind my "opinion" that if people want to rent in this economy, they need to lower their rates or their rental will more than likely remain empty with ZERO income to the owner.

You say, "owners are renting out because they can't afford to take a vacation". Well the same holds true for people looking to rent that owner's unit/cabin .... they're looking for bargains or fair rental rates in this economy, not for owners to make a huge profit.

Laura C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.