General Discussion

Groupwise inc, anyone here heard of them ?

Apr 28, 2014

Sounds like a lot of double talk to me to confuse everyone. NEVER pay anyone money upfront to sell or rent your timeshare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don P.
Jul 06, 2017

I had an appoint tomorrow in Palm Springs....but canceled....please do report back

Lisa G.
Jul 06, 2017

They are a legitimate business and I used them successfully for a week I had. The description above is very accurate to my experience. They assumed my ownership, apoarentmybthrough a proxy owner. And I was never again billed an annual assessment.

Roy V.
Jul 07, 2017

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!

Don P.
Jul 07, 2017

royvb wrote:
They are a legitimate business and I used them successfully for a week I had. The description above is very accurate to my experience. They assumed my ownership, apoarentmybthrough a proxy owner. And I was never again billed an annual assessment.

How much did they charge you?

Lance C.
Jun 05, 2018

royvb wrote:
They are a legitimate business and I used them successfully for a week I had. <snip> They assumed my ownership, apparently through a proxy owner. And I was never again billed an annual assessment.

GroupWise (known to many as a "PostCard Company") does not "assume anyone's ownership". More accurately, after a willing "customer" pays them serious upfront money, GroupWise has that "customer" sign a Power of Attorney, authorizing Groupwise to "dispose" of the timeshare on behalf of the customer / owner. This may involve nothing more than offering it on eBay for a buck. Groupwise doesn't particularly care about the selling price --- after all, they already have their money from the owner / customer. GW may also get a "piece" of the closing costs from their "affiliated" closing entity, but I am not certain about that particular detail. What I do know is that until such time as there is a closing, the "customer" remains the legal owner of record.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 05, 2018 05:47 PM

Jun 05, 2018

Roy VB never did answer the question How much did GW charge?

Lance C.
Jun 06, 2018

lancec13 wrote:
Roy VB never did answer the question How much did GW charge?

Roy may or may not have been a shill for GroupWise, but his (factually inaccurate and dubious) post is nearly a year old now, so unlikely to be answered at this point.

GroupWise conducts travelling road shows to peddle their "salvation services", while preaching of the evils and pitfalls of timeshare ownership. My limited understanding is that they do not charge a single "fixed" price, but an amount which is essentially several times that of the maintenance fee amount of the particular timeshare at issue.

On rare occasions, decent timeshares can actually be bought from GW at very low prices (although the closing costs are no particular bargain). I actually bought one from GW myself years ago for peanuts (and after using it for two years, resold it --- for even fewer peanuts). As mentioned already, Groupwise has already made their money on any timeshare that they offer for sale, even if they give the timeshare away for free, since some poor fool has already given them a few thousand dollars to dump a timeshare that the owner likely could have parted with entirely on their own with a little effort (and without spending a few thousand dollars).

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 06, 2018 03:17 AM

Jun 10, 2018

Yes they took me for $8000. Went to a high pressure meeting at a hotel in Savannah Ga Told the group that your children will be stuck with the tax and maintenance charges forever. Took the fee up front had you sign a contract. Gave you a closing date you would do at your bank. You would need to have two witness pay them $10.00 each and get a medallion seal from the notary. on the documents . This would take about 3 months. A month down the road I was contacted by Windham Resorts International and was told that they would recover my timeshare Through a program called Ovation at no cost to me. I called Orange Lake Country Club they agreed to the same thing and so did Great Eastern Resorts. I called GroupWise and told them I wanted my money back and that i wasn't going to the closing and that I still had my deeds. They said keep them, they only wanted my money and that they had that, they hung up on me. The money was given via my American Express Credit, they gave me my money back, but when GroupWise sent them a copy of the paperwork they gave the money back to GroupWise. I am 75 years old and am thinking of filing bankruptcy credit cards are unsecured loans think about it. Am i worried about my credit rating, I don't think so. American Express is looking further into this scam. I get 2-3 call a week offering to help me get rid of my time shares. You can do it your self call the owners of the timeshare facility its worth the call.

James P.
Jun 10, 2018

But you forgot to tell us what that great service cost you. They put your Time Share on Ebay thats way they tell you it takes 3 months

James P.
Jun 10, 2018

You are so right. If it is to good to be true it's not true.

James P.
Jun 10, 2018

You sure did the right thing, if I only had done the same.

James P.
Jun 10, 2018

They are so good they own their own Title Search Company.

James P.
Jun 22, 2018

My advise, do not ever give anyone money to get rid of your timeshare. Why? Because you can get rid of your timeshare on your own without paying anyone any money.

I have some questions.

1. Where do you own?

2. Is it paid in full?

3. Why do you want to get rid of it?

I share this in my upcoming book, Everything About Timeshare, Before, During and After the Sale.

For more info, visit my website...redweektimesharebook.com Separate from the Redweek organization.

Best of luck!

Wayne C.
Sep 08, 2018

Yes it is a scam. Supposed to be no money up front but they will ask you your credit card up front so they can charge when the service is completed. Once you filled out the payment method information they then withdraw your money within three days without anything is being done. Even you call your your credit card to stop the payment they will present false information to them to get their (scam money from you) . There is nothing you can do to get it back. I'm trying to sue them now. Please do not fall into their scam. It is 100 percent Scam. Very professionally!!

Dung B.
Sep 08, 2018

Groupwise is a crook. They are so contradicted what their website is offering. They should be penalized and go prison for stealing poeple money. Don't know how the law allowed them to continue scam American poeple s' money. Someone needs to stop them please!!!

Dung B.
Sep 09, 2018

dungb wrote:
Groupwise is a crook. They are so contradicted what their website is offering. They should be penalized and go prison for stealing poeple money. Don't know how the law allowed them to continue scam American poeple s' money. Someone needs to stop them please!!!

If they are located in the United States, you can report them to the Attorney-General of the state where they are located.

Lance C.
Sep 09, 2018

Groupwise (based in Pennsylvania, if I recall correctly) is a typical so-called "PostCard Company". They have been around and alive and well for years. Essentially, they get Power of Attorney from would-be "sellers" (who have unwisely paid them a few thousand dollars upfront). Groupwise then uses that PoA to try to (...maybe) dump that timeshare anywhere they possibly can (if they can actually even do so at all). Such offerings often appear on eBay for a dollar. Groupwise doesn't much care what that timeshare sells for. After all, they are already ahead of the game by several thousand dollars from each and every "client" that unwisely pays them big money right upfront, despite Groupwise providing absolutely no guarantee of any successful results.

I am certainly no fan of the GroupWise "business model", but I fail to see how what they do is in any way illegal --- or how or why what they do would be of any interest at all to any Attorney General. They are a very overpriced listing service --- no more and no less. Frankly, what really baffles me is why anyone would ever foolishly choose to pay GroupWise thousands of dollars of their hard earned money up front in the first place, just to maybe (...repeat maybe) get rid of a unwanted timeshare for them.

In short, I don't see Groupwise as a "scam". Instead, I see it as an opportunistic, overpriced and parasitic "listing" enterprise which collects serious money from desperate people who somehow believe that just ponying up some big money is going to achieve an easy, magical escape from their contractual obligations. It's not that simple or easy folks --- even if you choose to unwisely believe otherwise.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 14, 2018 01:08 PM

Sep 09, 2018

NEVER give your credit card information to someone you just heard of on the internet . You can dispute the charge if you have proof that they were not supposed to charge your card . Ken is right . They carefully word their contract so they cannot be charged with fraud . They use deceptive practices but no illegal practices .

Don P.
Sep 09, 2018

Yes it is a scam 100 percent. How can you say it isn't. I'm one of the victim. Groupwise Inc is a crook. There website posted things too good too be truth. But they are just lying to you at the end. They will trick you into paying them up front money and then robbed you afterwards. They won't answer your emails nor phone calls right after they collected your money. Supposedly after they are actually completed the transfer. Please don't waiste your time and your money.

Dung B.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.