preview the new redweek.com!

Sumday Vacations

Forum: Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

page 1 of 1

«prev page    next page»

Message Author

Sumday Vacations

Has anyone heard of Sumday Vacations ? We made a mistake of going to a timeshare resale office and wanted to see if they want to buy our timeshare ! we came up later BUYING their timeshare ( you know how it works .. kind of forced buying , sign here , sign there ... ) and The Sumday Vacations , not the same people who sold us their timeshare , will take our timeshare in exchange ! well now I have to give my timeshare to Sumday Vacations and have to pay transfer fees .

So before I lose more money , I'd like to hear if anyone has had bad experience with them . I have not send in my timeshare yet . I wonder why there are 2 differents companies !

Thanks to all

3 years ago
Mar 15, 2011

Sumday Vacations --- run. run away...

vienl wrote:
Has anyone heard of Sumday Vacations ?

The Sumday Vacations I know of is basically a PostCard Company which conducts many (maybe most) of its' sales on eBay. As far as I know, they always use Resort Closings Inc (Bozeman, Montana) as their closing company. I have my own personal doubts and concerns about the ethics and practices of "Sumday Vacations", in particular a man there named John Kushman. I know for a fact that they "block" eBay bidders bidders who they believe have offered critical (even if absolutely true and completely accurate) negative commentary about them. Personally, I would NEVER consider doing ANY business with Sumday Vacations and I would recommend avoiding them like the bubonic plague, but your mileage may vary...

Last edit by ken1193 on Mar 15, 2011 06:39 PM.

3 years ago
Mar 15, 2011

Thank you for your warning ! I'd like very much running away from them But when I bought the timeshare from Coastal Timshare Creations, I signed paper to trade in my timeshare to Sumday Vacations and i signed things that I did not read carefully . You know it always go so fast and you don't take time to read , I know it is my fault ! Well , now is there any way not to give them my timeshare ? I don't know why they are 2 differents companies ?

3 years ago
Mar 16, 2011

vienl wrote:
...when I bought the timeshare from Coastal Timshare Creations, I signed paper to trade in my timeshare to Sumday Vacations and i signed things that I did not read carefully . You know it always go so fast and you don't take time to read , I know it is my fault ! Well , now is there any way not to give them my timeshare ? I don't know why they are 2 differents companies ?
You voluntarily executed a contract and are now legally obligated to / by the terms of that contract, which you executed of your own free will. The fact that you apparently didn't bother to read what you signed won't invalidate the contents of a legally valid and voluntarily executed contract.

You (most likely) also signed a Power of Attorney (PoA) to SumDay among your contract documents. That is why there is a "second company" now in the mix. You bought from one company (Coastal), but you also likely authorized a "different" company (SumDay) to actually sell off your trade-in. If so, then SumDay already has the legal right to sell your timeshare, without your "turning over" anything further (or your being further involved in any way, actually).

There are actually numerous other company names involved / associated with SumDay, but that's a completely irrelevant point. You apparently signed over your ownership rights upon "trading in" your week --- that is now a "done deal" and likely irreversible; you have already (voluntarily) agreed and authorized, under signature, to allow SumDay to sell your "trade-in".

While I personally dislike SumDay Vacations (and I have a particular contempt and disdain for one John Kushman there), SumDay Vacations DOES successfully sell a lot of timeshares. Accordingly, you'll likely see your formerly owned (but now already "traded in") week listed as an timeshare auction item on eBay in the near future.

In all likelihood, you paid a pretty penny for whatever it is that you bought from "Coastal", so SumDay won't likely care how much your "trade in" sells for in an eBay auction. If they DO care, there will be a "reserve" (minimum) price indicated in the auction listing. You could possibly even bid and buy it back for next to nothing, if you were so inclined (and assuming you were the highest bidder, of course).

My real confusion / question is WHY you agreed to trade in your week in the first place if (...now, when it's already too late), you apparently don't want to relinquish that ownership???

Last edit by ken1193 on Mar 16, 2011 11:21 AM.

3 years ago
Mar 16, 2011

Sumday Vacations

How has this worked out for you? Did they sell your timeshare?

3 years ago
Jun 19, 2011

Sumday Vacations

Ken, Please tell me what some of the other names associated with Sumday Vacations are. Thanks!

3 years ago
Jun 19, 2011

Sumday Vacations

Yes. I purchased a timeshare from them via eBay. Their closing and transfers fees are the lowest in the resale business. I would buy from them again via eBay NOT directly. You can get a better deal on eBay.

Avatar for michellek224 michellek224

3 years ago
Jul 01, 2011

Sumday Vacations

I went away for a few months and Sumdays asked me to sign the trade in before a notary and I had no time before leavingso this matter is not settled yet. Another point : I'll have to PAY the transfer fee to their name !! So I'll lose again !

3 years ago
Jul 01, 2011

Sumday Vacations

I think they make money also on transfer fees because the amount they asked me to pay is way over the amount the timeshare company requires to transfer the title !

3 years ago
Jul 01, 2011

Are you confusing two very different issues?

vienl wrote:
I think they make money also on transfer fees because the amount they asked me to pay is way over the amount the timeshare company requires to transfer the title !
Closing company fees specifically cover the preparation and recording of a new deed in new owner name(s) and notification to the resort of the change in ownership. Closing company fees should not cost more than $300.

"Transfer fee", on the other hand, refers very specifically to the fee which is charged directly by (some, not all) RESORTS to internally process the change in ownership in their owner / billing records. It's a gratuitous, greedy and completely unnecessary charge imposed for merely changing the name and address of the person to receive all future maintenance fee bills. Some resorts charge NO transfer fee at all (...and none EVER should, but they do it because they CAN). Many resorts charge $75-100 for a "transfer fee". Wyndham now imposes a $299 transfer fee to process ownership changes. Legacy Vacation Club (the new name for bankrupt and "reinvented" Celebrity Resorts) charges $200. Any such "transfer fee" is always completely separate from (and entirely unrelated to) those fees charged by a closing company for the preparation and recording of a new deed. The closing company has nothing to do with imposing "transfer fees" (although they MAY collect and pay them to the resort at buyer or seller request --- with additional funds from the buyer or seller ) . A "transfer fee", if imposed at all, is EXCLUSIVELY a RESORT - imposed charge.

Last edit by ken1193 on Jul 06, 2011 07:49 AM.

3 years ago
Jul 06, 2011

Message deleted.

3 years ago
Jul 24, 2011

Sumday Vacations, Kimberling City, MO is charging me $1,950 for transfer fee ! I run, run, run ! Sum-crooks.

1 year ago
Nov 29, 2012

Sumday Vacations

Hello to all in this string, My name is Jeff Brown and I am the owner of Sumday Vacations. I would like to clear up a few things for you so that you might understand Sumday Vacations relationship with other companies more fully.

Here are the totally untrue things found throughout your posts: 1. Sumday is not a Post Card Company 2. Sumday has never used Resort Closings 3. Sumday has never employed a man named John Kushman 4. Sumday only blocks ebay bidders who do not pay for their purchases. 5. Sumday Vacations is not owned, controlled or managed by another company.

So, let me explain what Sumday is and does. Sumday is a timeshare transfer company who is contracted to conduct transfers for about 100 travel & timeshare companies throughout the US, Mexico and Europe.

To use this string as an example the client purchased something from Coastal and traded in their timeshare as part of that purchase. Coastal has the right to keep the timeshare in their inventory or they may elect to pass that unit to Sumday Vacations.

If it is passed to Sumday we find a new owner, transfer the title with the county recorder, and notify the resort of the ownership change. There are many fees involved when transferring a timeshare, here are the most common:

1. Recording fees ($30-140) 2. Title search ($50-75) 3. Title insurance ($100-115) 4. Document preparation ($30-70) 5. Attorney review ($50-150) 6. Transfer taxes ($3-75)

Then we have to notify the resort and the resort's have started charging for their owners to transfer to another party. In my honest opinion, this is a total scam by the resorts. I guarantee you that when you bought your timeshare they told you that you could rent, loan, sell or will your timeshare to whomever you choose. They did not tell you that you would have to pay a huge fee at the time you decided to sell it. This fee has become a source of revenue for the resorts.

In this string, Wyndham's fees of $299 are quoted but they are middle of the line, some of the higher fees are Spinnaker at $125 in transfer fees but they also require $750 in prepaid maint. fees for a biennial property or $1500 for an annual, the property will not transfer without those fees being paid upfront. Manhattan Club at $1000, Mayan properties at 10% of the original purchase price, there is even a small resort in Hot Springs, AR that requires $3500 to change the name of the owner in their computer, etc. etc. etc.

So, huge fees are possible in a timeshare transfer, I believe that you should weigh that cost against how you use your timeshare. For instance, a person who has all their weeks in the bank, hasn't used their timeshare in years, etc. pays $700 in maintenance fees and $140 to RCI is saving $840 per year by getting rid of their ownership. But, that same person if they use the timeshare to it's full capability should keep the property and use it for their enjoyment. Timeshares have never been an investment property and those people who believe they are have simply been lying to themselves.

I will gladly work with you if you have questions about our company, you can use a blog all you want to but chances are your not getting fully correct information. Email me directly at jeffbrown@sumdayvacations.com should you need any assistance.

Last edit by jeffb647 on Feb 04, 2013 02:12 PM.

1 year ago
Feb 04, 2013

corneliok wrote:
Sumday Vacations, Kimberling City, MO is charging me $1,950 for transfer fee ! I run, run, run ! Sum-crooks.

The owner above states the alleged reason for his high closing fees when closing fees at http://timeshareresaleclosings.com/fees.html and www.timesharetransfer.com and many other closing services are only a few hundred dollars.

1 year ago
Feb 05, 2013

page 1 of 1

«prev page    next page»

Reply to Topic

Available only to RedWeek.com Guests

I Want To…

Attention Gmail Users

Google Phishing Scam »

Casting Call

Get free, professional photos of your next timeshare vacation!

Learn more »